#1 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:23 AM

Per allstar1579's suggestion, we will set aside this one thread to discuss and analyze the draft, while we try to keep the Shadow Draft Thread ( http://baltimorespor...php?f=17&t=1365 ) uncluttered- outside of official participation posts.

First Round
1. Houston Astros
2. Minnesota Twins
3. Seattle Mariners
4. Baltimore Orioles
5. Kansas City Royals
6. Chicago Cubs
7. San Diego Padres
8. Pittsburgh Pirates
9. Miami Marlins
10. Colorado Rockies
11. Oakland Athletics
12. New York Mets
13. Chicago White Sox
14. Cincinnati Reds
15. Cleveland Indians
16. Washington Nationals
17. Toronto Blue Jays
18. Los Angeles Dodgers
19. St. Louis Cardinals (A. Pujols - LAA)
20. San Francisco Giants
21. Atlanta Braves
22. Toronto Blue Jays (T. Beede - unsigned)
23. St. Louis Cardinals
24. Boston Red Sox
25. Tampa Bay Rays
26. Arizona Diamondbacks
27. Milwaukee Brewers (P. Fielder - DET)
28. Milwaukee Brewers
29. Texas Rangers
30. New York Yankees
31. Boston Red Sox (J. Papelbon - PHI)

#2 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:24 AM

Feel free to discuss your pre-draft mocks here, or your thoughts on anything MLB Draft related.

#3 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:31 AM

Baseball America's latest mock out just now still has Appel, Buxton, Zunino, and Gausman (O's) going with the first 4 picks.

http://www.baseballa... ... 13500.html

#4 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:34 AM

Baseball America's latest mock out just now still has Appel, Buxton, Zunino, and Gausman (O's) going with the first 4 picks.

http://www.baseballa... ... 13500.html

Yeah, that seems to be the predominant order by most "experts", although I'm not nearly as sold as some that Seattle will take Zunino. The Mariners still may grab him at #3, but I imagine there are concerns about his difficulties to hit within the SEC itself, although he appeared to fare well on Fridays (typically the opposing team's best pitcher). Time will tell. I will say this... I believe that the teams that pass on Carlos Correa -and to a slightly lesser extent: Albert Almora- will regret it.

#5 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:34 AM

Is the concensus among you who have seen Gausmann that he would be a solid pick for us?

#6 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:41 AM

Is the concensus among you who have seen Gausmann that he would be a solid pick for us?

Definitely a solid pick. I'm just not sure he's the best pick. He should be a mid rotation arm, if not better.

#7 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:00 AM

Yeah any of these picks you hear should be solid, Gausman being one of the more solid picks. I'd rather have the upside risk of Correa myself, but Gausman should be a fairly safe pick and give you a rotation worthy arm.
@JeremyMStrain

#8 fan4life

fan4life
  • Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:02 AM

Yeah any of these picks you hear should be solid, Gausman being one of the more solid picks. I'd rather have the upside risk of Correa myself, but Gausman should be a fairly safe pick and give you a rotation worthy arm.

How far away is a guy like this from Baltimore (typically)? After seeing what Chris Sale and Aaron Crow are doing, does he fit in that category?

#9 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:09 AM

How far away is a guy like this from Baltimore (typically)? After seeing what Chris Sale and Aaron Crow are doing, does he fit in that category?

Gausman would likely get his pro career started this year by pitching limited innings at the A-level, with either Low-A Delmarva or High-A Frederick. He would likely start 2013 in Frederick, move to Bowie during that season and be in Baltimore at some point in 2014.

#10 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:31 AM

I'll be the first to admit that I don't follow draft "prospects" as much as I should, so other people here are certainly more well-versed with each player.

Gausman sounds like a good, solid pick...however, Correa certainly sounds like an exciting player. Very exciting.

#11 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:47 AM

I'll be the first to admit that I don't follow draft "prospects" as much as I should, so other people here are certainly more well-versed with each player.

Gausman sounds like a good, solid pick...however, Correa certainly sounds like an exciting player. Very exciting.

Yeah, Gausman would be a good pick, and I'll be very happy to have him, but I have Correa as the top talent overall... so naturally I'd be a bit more excited to see the O's tab him. Stotle -if I recall- has Gausman rated as his top rated player, so even with my reading many reports on Gausman, it tells me even more so that the LSU righty would be a quality pick.

#12 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:49 AM

Correa has huge upside, but he's also less likely to meet it. Also consider that he's going to be a 3B so if his offense doesn't pan out it will really hurt (moreso than being a SS).
@JeffLongBP

#13 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:56 AM

I think the probability is that Correa winds up at 3B but I think too many people talk about it like it's a foregone conclusion. For purposes of our organization, you'd assume he'd move to 3B in defference to Machado anyway. But most of the reports I've read have kept open the possibility that he could remain at SS. I believe even Stotle said that if he gets much bigger his actioins, hands, and great arm could allow him to stick at SS as an offensive SS with limited range.

#14 Kevin Ebert

Kevin Ebert
  • Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:01 PM

That's 2 major mock drafts with the O's taking Gausman. BA and Kevin Goldstein at BP both have him going to the O's. KG had Correa going 3rd to Seattle, but feels that he's the top talent in the draft. I trust KG on this one.

I also generally like the upside of high school players over college guys high in the first round. Unless there's an obvious college star like Strasburg or Tulo, I'd rather take the prep player. They're more risky but I feel that the risk is worth it to get a star. The Orioles need to get stars in the draft, not mid-rotation starters.

That's why I'm hoping they take Correa.
@BSLKevinEbert

#15 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:03 PM

Jon Heyman
Early word: astros take stanford rhp mark appel and twins take Ga. prep CF byron buxton. unconfirmed but that's scuttlebutt

Obviously it's Jon Heyman - so take it for what you will. But I think that's pretty much the agreed upon outcome for the first two picks tonight. Once again, Seattle is the wild card with whether they take Zunino or not.

#16 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:06 PM

Callis has us taking Gausmann over Correa. I think I would be a little disappointed in that pick but would be happy to have Gausmann as well.

I see Connolly thinks Zimmer could be pick because of his fastball command.

Also, he believes they could take Fried over Correa as a surprise pick.

#17 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:23 PM

Latest mocks from Klaw & Mayo

Klaw: http://insider.espn....-mlb-mock-draft

Mayo: http://mlb.mlb.com/n...ws_mlb&c_id=mlb
@JeffLongBP

#18 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:28 PM

Callis has us taking Gausmann over Correa. I think I would be a little disappointed in that pick but would be happy to have Gausmann as well.

I see Connolly thinks Zimmer could be pick because of his fastball command.

Also, he believes they could take Fried over Correa as a surprise pick.

That's how I'd feel... disappointed that we missed out on Correa (assuming he's there), but happy to have Gausman.

#19 Kevin Ebert

Kevin Ebert
  • Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:26 PM

Jeff - what was KLaw's top 5? I don't subscribe to ESPN Insider, so I can't see his mock. Thanks.
@BSLKevinEbert

#20 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:29 PM

Jeff - what was KLaw's top 5? I don't subscribe to ESPN Insider, so I can't see his mock. Thanks.

Appel
Buxton
Zunino
Gausman
Zimmer

Also, Klaw just released his top 100 draft prospects: http://insider.espn....top-100-ranking

Top 5:

Buxton
Correa
Gausman
Appel
Fried
@JeffLongBP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=