#1061 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 20 June 2023 - 11:18 AM

The meeting Beal had with them last week was to demand a trade, but then management told him, we know, don't worry, we are good with trading you but because of the NTC have to work with you, so let us know where you'd like to go and hopefully we can make a match.

Would have gotten a better offer from MIA for sure.

Paul was a good pick up in a sense, I think he's going to get dealt to the Lakers, and if I was dealing him there I'd be asking for future firsts, cause they are old and going to fall apart in the next couple years, and having their picks when they have to rebuild would be huge.

Heard a rumor they were going to try to dangle Kristaps for the #3 pick. But I dunno, I'd love to keep him if he was willing to sit through a rebuild. Just so hard to find Centers, and he seems to really like it here. It's a shame there's nothing we could do to get the #2 pick, Beal didn't want CHA, but getting Scoot would speed up rebuild. Pair him with Kristaps and they may not be horrible, but that would slow down a rebuild so i dunno.

I think NBA needs a true 1:1 minor league program so teams can develop and plan for the future. It's too volatile with the crazy salaries, the cap, and impact college players each year.

Good Post.  I would trade Kuzma and KP for  any lottery pick this year.  The NBA is not like baseball or football.  Hit big on a pick and a team can go from rebuild to build up very quickly.  Finding that guy is the problem.

@mikeghg

#1062 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,964 posts

Posted 20 June 2023 - 11:44 AM

Kuzma's going to decline his player option, though, so he's a free agent.

• JeremyStrain likes this

#1063 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 20 June 2023 - 11:54 AM

Kuzma's going to decline his player option, though, so he's a free agent.

Yep and he said at some point last year he was going to leave. Last year was the time to trade him and they missed out. At this point all they are doing is slashing salary and going scorched earth.

@JeremyMStrain

#1064 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 20 June 2023 - 12:19 PM

Beal simply didn't have much value on that contract. Yes, the no trade clause made dealing him more complicated and less rewarding for the Wiz, but they weren't going to get anything great back. 

They aren't getting anything of significance back for Chris Paul either. The most likely thing is he just gets waived. If a trade occurs, then it is likely just bringing back low-level assets. Otherwise, the Wiz could just keep him around to keep them semi-competitive and be a mentor to young players. 

#1065 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 June 2023 - 12:26 PM

I’d rather be semi-competitive with no top 10 draft picks then non-competitive with no top 10 draft picks. How did this deal move the needle?

#1066 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,964 posts

Posted 20 June 2023 - 12:31 PM

I’d rather be semi-competitive with no top 10 draft picks then non-competitive with no top 10 draft picks. How did this deal move the needle?

Being semi-competitive has been their strategy for like 40 years, and it's kind of sucked.  They're trying something new.

#1067 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 June 2023 - 12:36 PM

Being semi-competitive has been their strategy for like 40 years, and it's kind of sucked. They're trying something new.

Just to try something new, by the looks of it.

#1068 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,964 posts

Posted 20 June 2023 - 01:12 PM

Just to try something new, by the looks of it.

Hopefully they realized you play to win the game.

• You Play to Win the Game and DuffMan like this

#1069 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,964 posts

Posted 20 June 2023 - 01:32 PM

I should also say that you're right - with Beal, they're a halfway decent team that has a shot to make the playoffs.  For fans who actually want to watch or go to games, that's not a such a bad thing, especially compared to the 20-62 team they've now become.

But while a Beal team has an OK floor, it also has a pretty low ceiling.  So if they're actually serious about trying to build a team that can go deep into the playoffs, they had to make the trade.

#1070 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,964 posts

Posted 20 June 2023 - 01:49 PM

Kuzma officially declined his player option and is now an unrestricted free agent.

#1071 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,304 posts

Posted 20 June 2023 - 01:58 PM

Are there rebuilds in the NBA and do they work? Asking for dude
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#1072 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 20 June 2023 - 02:22 PM

They had zero ceiling with Beal.  

His scoring his dipped, his 3pt shooting his dipped. He has trouble staying on the floor.

The new regime never would have given him that extension.

With the money tied to him, and the NTC... they weren't getting back assets.
They got rid of the contract.  That's a start. 

They'll move Paul.  Maybe it will take a few months. 

They do have to spend some money to reach the cap threshold. 

Beal can contribute to a good team, but he's a 3rd type option.

I agree with Simmons and Rusillo that he doesn't seem like a great fit for Phoenix.
But if they move Ayton, get a few bodies back, and find a guy or two at the minimum... maybe it works. 

Johnny Davis wasn't much of a contributor in Year 1, figures to have a larger opportunity in Year 2.

Deni Avdija seems ok.  Kispert is decent. 

They'll be pretty horrible this coming year, but seems better than winning 35 games and being no where.

• Mike B likes this

#1073 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 20 June 2023 - 03:16 PM

I don't think this team was going anywhere with Beal and his contract. Part of that is that Beal is at least a notch or two below what you want from a max player and part of that is there isn't enough around him to envision this team becoming legit good in the next few years (or a reasonable path that could be paved). 

Additionally, this isn't like Portland and Dame for multiple reasons imo, but first and foremost, Dame is beloved there in a way that Beal is not in DC. That said, you can argue that a Dame trade makes sense for he and Portland despite that. 

The Wiz just got a good and reasonably healthy Porzingis year and they still only won 35 games. Kuzma may be departing too. There isn't a lot else on this team that screams keep this core together. 

Clear the decks and see what you have in the young talent in the organization, plus what intriguing undervalued talent a team in this situation can add into the mix, and lastly what talent they'll be able to acquire in the draft and any further sell type of trades they may make.

And yes, I get that this is advocating for rebuilding. If 2035 or anyone else needs me to explain why that's different in the NBA than in the MLB, I'll do it even though I'm guessing you already know. 

• BSLMikeLowe likes this

#1074 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,485 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 20 June 2023 - 04:28 PM

I think the NTC made it neasr impossible to get the best possible deal for Beal, but the trade was just bad.  The Heat supposedly had an offer on the table that included 2 #1's, but I am guessing Beal wanted to go out west.

I am not ready to bash the new regime because they are in a clean up the mess mode, but the rebuild is definitely off to a slow start.

Word I read is that Beal was willing to go to Miami, but the Heat's offer did not beat Phoenix's (so the report of two 1sts is unlikely). But the Heat seem to want to go all in on getting Damian Lillard. My gut says it's greater than 50-50 that he'll still be with the Blazers at the beginning of the season, but all bets are off as to whether he's still in Portland when the season ends.

#1075 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,485 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 20 June 2023 - 04:30 PM

And yes, I get that this is advocating for rebuilding. If 2035 or anyone else needs me to explain why that's different in the NBA than in the MLB, I'll do it even though I'm guessing you already know. 

This. Apples - Oranges.

#1076 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,964 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 02:12 PM

Shams Charania@ShamsCharania·
Sources: Wizards, Celtics and Clippers are in strong talks on a trade that would send Kristaps Porzingis to Boston, Marcus Morris and draft compensation to Washington and Malcolm Brogdon to Los Angeles. Sides are still working through details and Porzingis’ $36M player option.

#1077 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 June 2023 - 02:21 PM

I'll wait to see the draft compensation. But with Marcus Morris and CP3, yuck. So far, on the surface, this rebuild has seemed to mainly serve to make contending teams stronger. 

But I'll shut up. I don't know the NBA all too well. At the end of the day, it's likely going to be their scouting and player development ability under this new regime more than it will be about trades anyway. Have to find the right pieces, and then set them up for success. Which has little to do with these trades at the end of the day.

#1078 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,964 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 03:32 PM

It would be crazy to pay KP $36M on a rebuilding team, so I guess anything you can get for him is good.  Hopefully the draft pick is decent.

#1079 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,964 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 04:19 PM

ESPN Sources: The Celtics are working on a trade to acquire the Wizards’ Kristaps Porzingis in a three-team deal that sends Malcolm Brogdon to Clippers. LA would be sending Marcus Morris, Amir Coffey and 30th pick to Washington. Sides still have more work to do on an agreement.

#1080 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 21 June 2023 - 05:21 PM

These aren't rebuild trades. These are salary dump and tear it down to the studs trades. Which when you are talking about a player on a super max deal who doesn't deserve one, a player who could opt out (and did), and another that would have to opt in on a trade, we had nothing of value to deal.

I get the outrage in looking at it, but the anger shouldnt be directed at what they are doing now, cause they don't have any leverage. The anger should be directed at last year or the year before when this stuff SHOULD have happened.

They've been feeding the contenders of the league pieces for years. Porter Jr., Oubre, Hachimura, because they had no idea what they were doing. Let's hope this guy has a better idea...but it's going to be a while.

@JeremyMStrain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=