#1041 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 26 May 2023 - 11:53 AM

This is an interesting hire.  I am guessing he hires his own GM.

I wonder if Wes Jr. survives?

@mikeghg

#1042 B00E00N00

B00E00N00

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,808 posts
  • LocationSouthern Maryland

Posted 01 June 2023 - 11:47 PM

Maybe Ted is finally learning.

#1043 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 15 June 2023 - 08:07 AM

So the Wizards sign Beal to a super max deal with a no trade clause and then want to trade him after one year?  Why?

#1044 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,873 posts

Posted 15 June 2023 - 08:31 AM

So the Wizards sign Beal to a super max deal with a no trade clause and then want to trade him after one year?  Why?

Because the new GM understands that the prior GM was an idiot?

• Mike B, ivanbalt and makoman like this

#1045 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 15 June 2023 - 08:37 AM

That's a pretty good answer.  Now which idiot GM would take that contract?

#1046 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,873 posts

Posted 15 June 2023 - 08:44 AM

You'd have to be a team who thinks you're a Bradley Beal away from a championship...  luckily, those are probably the teams that Beal would agree to go to.  Also, you'd probably be trading a bad contract of your own, just not as bad as Beal's.

#1047 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,271 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 15 June 2023 - 10:42 AM

More likely the GM is making that move at the urging of an owner who is antsy to win a title. At the very least, the owner has bought in if they're taking on that kind of long-term financial obligation.

#1048 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 15 June 2023 - 02:48 PM

The prior two GM's were no great shakes.  The new guys have a mess to clean up.

@mikeghg

#1049 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,679 posts

Posted 16 June 2023 - 10:54 AM

The Ringer: Four Teams That Could Pull Off a Bradley Beal Trade

#1050 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,271 posts

Posted 18 June 2023 - 04:46 PM

@ShamsCharania
1h
BREAKING: The Washington Wizards are trading three-time All-Star Bradley Beal to the Phoenix Suns for Chris Paul, Landry Shamet, a handful of second-round picks, and multiple pick swaps, league sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium.

Part of the reason for holding up full completion on the Wizards-Suns trade will be to allow Washington to field offers from third teams that would give Chris Paul a chance to land with a contender, sources tell ESPN.

#1051 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 18 June 2023 - 07:05 PM

The tear down has begun.

@mikeghg

#1052 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,271 posts

Posted 18 June 2023 - 07:55 PM

Uninspiring return, but WAS was no doubt hamstrung by the NTC. Since the new GM, with Leonsis' blessing, is intent on a full rebuild, I'm guessing they viewed just about any return as acceptable to move Beal's contract.

And even though it didn't cost them much in the way of assets, I don't love this at all for the Suns. They are way too thin on role players and depth, and have nothing outside the tax-payer MLE and minimum salaries to acquire them. And their new owner better have something left in his bank account after paying over $4B for the team, because he's gonna need it the next few years to pay the luxury taxes with Booker, Ayton, Durant and now Beal's salaries. (and Beal's NTC goes to Phoenix with him, so he won't get any easier to move).

• JeremyStrain and Mike B like this

#1053 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 18 June 2023 - 08:24 PM

Uninspiring return, but WAS was no doubt hamstrung by the NTC. Since the new GM, with Leonsis' blessing, is intent on a full rebuild, I'm guessing they viewed just about any return as acceptable to move Beal's contract.

And even though it didn't cost them much in the way of assets, I don't love this at all for the Suns. They are way too thin on role players and depth, and have nothing outside the tax-payer MLE and minimum salaries to acquire them. And their new owner better have something left in his bank account after paying over $4B for the team, because he's gonna need it the next few years to pay the luxury taxes with Booker, Ayton, Durant and now Beal's salaries. (and Beal's NTC goes to Phoenix with him, so he won't get any easier to move).

The Wizards are getting killed in the media, but I figured given the contract and his 3 years of injuries the return was not going to be anything of value.

@mikeghg

#1054 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,271 posts

Posted 18 June 2023 - 09:44 PM

The Wizards are getting killed in the media, but I figured given the contract and his 3 years of injuries the return was not going to be anything of value.

If the media thinks this is a bad deal, imagine how they'll respond if the Wizards let Kuzma walk for nothing.

#1055 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 19 June 2023 - 05:26 AM

Ugh, do I now have to hear about how Phoenix is the new super team who will win the next 5 championships?  My guess is this will fail.

#1056 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 19 June 2023 - 02:36 PM

Ugh, do I now have to hear about how Phoenix is the new super team who will win the next 5 championships?  My guess is this will fail.

Yea, there starting 5 is talented.  The bench is not good.  Maybe they can find a way to get to 8 or 9 deep, but KD, and Beal are not likely to get through the season healthy.

@mikeghg

#1057 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,873 posts

Posted 20 June 2023 - 09:08 AM

Hopefully the Wizards can get something for Paul before the draft.

Kind of sucks to not get a first round pick out of the Beal trade, but I guess that's what can happen when you hand out unnecessary no-trade clauses.

#1058 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,342 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 June 2023 - 09:29 AM

Well, they didn’t have to trade him either. More of the same IMO. People seem excited to finally have a direction, but it won’t matter if the execution remains piss poor as was the case with this trade. Just bad.

#1059 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 20 June 2023 - 10:53 AM

I think the NTC made it neasr impossible to get the best possible deal for Beal, but the trade was just bad.  The Heat supposedly had an offer on the table that included 2 #1's, but I am guessing Beal wanted to go out west.

I am not ready to bash the new regime because they are in a clean up the mess mode, but the rebuild is definitely off to a slow start.

@mikeghg

#1060 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 20 June 2023 - 11:01 AM

The meeting Beal had with them last week was to demand a trade, but then management told him, we know, don't worry, we are good with trading you but because of the NTC have to work with you, so let us know where you'd like to go and hopefully we can make a match.

Would have gotten a better offer from MIA for sure.

Paul was a good pick up in a sense, I think he's going to get dealt to the Lakers, and if I was dealing him there I'd be asking for future firsts, cause they are old and going to fall apart in the next couple years, and having their picks when they have to rebuild would be huge.

Heard a rumor they were going to try to dangle Kristaps for the #3 pick. But I dunno, I'd love to keep him if he was willing to sit through a rebuild. Just so hard to find Centers, and he seems to really like it here. It's a shame there's nothing we could do to get the #2 pick, Beal didn't want CHA, but getting Scoot would speed up rebuild. Pair him with Kristaps and they may not be horrible, but that would slow down a rebuild so i dunno.

I think NBA needs a true 1:1 minor league program so teams can develop and plan for the future. It's too volatile with the crazy salaries, the cap, and impact college players each year.

• Mike B likes this
@JeremyMStrain

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

You Play to Win the Game

Our Sponsors

width=