1130 replies to this topic

#1081 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 21 June 2023 - 06:06 PM

I see a lot of similarities between the Wizards and the Trail Blazers over the past few years, the key difference being Lillard has aged a little bit better than Beal, and the Blazers didn't add a no trade clause when they gave Lillard his monster extension. But both are now facing the reckoning of years of bad decisions.

#1082 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 10:25 PM

Sounds like the trade fell through, but Boston is still trying to get Porzingis.

#1083 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 22 June 2023 - 07:36 AM

I'll wait to see the draft compensation. But with Marcus Morris and CP3, yuck. So far, on the surface, this rebuild has seemed to mainly serve to make contending teams stronger. 

But I'll shut up. I don't know the NBA all too well. At the end of the day, it's likely going to be their scouting and player development ability under this new regime more than it will be about trades anyway. Have to find the right pieces, and then set them up for success. Which has little to do with these trades at the end of the day.

2/3 of the league really only exist to make the contenders or big market teams (except the Knicks) stronger.

• Mike B and BaltBird 24 like this

#1084 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 June 2023 - 08:58 AM

I think the Wizards actually made a worse trade then the original one that was leaked out.  How they trade Beal and KP and do not get at least one first round pick is a bit shocking.  They do have Chris Paul and now Tyus Jones, both good point guards so maybe the plan is to keep dealing and get a couple there.  Other than that they are stockpiling spare parts and second round picks.  I disliked it, when the Orioles tanked and I don't care enough about the Wizards to worry about it, but pro sport teams, planning to lose while still charging major league prices is appalling to me.

@mikeghg

#1085 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 22 June 2023 - 09:53 AM

Tyus Jones is a legit starting point guard that a team like the Wiz should be happy to give the keys to imo.

#1086 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts

Posted 22 June 2023 - 10:05 AM

Since Porzingis could have opted for free agency and left for nothing, getting a decent starting PG for him instead isn’t bad.

• mweb08 likes this

#1087 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,666 posts

Posted 22 June 2023 - 02:25 PM

Wiz get Poole for Paul.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#1088 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,966 posts

Posted 22 June 2023 - 02:39 PM

Wiz get Poole for Paul.

And they finally get a first round pick* in a trade!

* in 2030 and protected, but still.

#1089 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,966 posts

Posted 22 June 2023 - 02:56 PM

Adrian Wojnarowski@wojespn
Washington and Phoenix have finalized the Bradley Beal trade, landing the Wizards six second-round draft picks and four first-round pick swaps, sources tell ESPN. Suns are sending seconds in 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027, 2028 and 2030. Pick swaps in 2024, 2026, 2028 and 2030.

#1090 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,966 posts

Posted 22 June 2023 - 02:57 PM

Six second round picks!

#1091 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 22 June 2023 - 03:27 PM

I'm not a big Poole fan but he does have upside so it makes some sense.

Also, those latter pick swaps with the Suns may cash in a big way.

#1092 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 June 2023 - 08:36 AM

Do we know what they gave up to move up one spot to take a 19 year old from France?

#1093 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 23 June 2023 - 10:18 AM

Do we know what they gave up to move up one spot to take a 19 year old from France?

No idea, been waiting to hear that too. I just assumed it was like one of the 3000 2nd round picks they got.

@JeremyMStrain

#1094 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,966 posts

Posted 23 June 2023 - 10:20 AM

I think it was two 2028 2nd rounders.

Here's David Aldridge's summary of all the trades:

So, here’s what Washington has, in relative order of importance, that it didn’t have at this time last week, in exchange for Beal and Porziņģis (I’m not counting Coulibaly among the additions, as Washington had its 2023 first before the deals):

• Significant 2023-24 cap space (potentially to be used in trades for expiring contracts — but, more importantly, future firsts)

• Jordan Poole (24, proven scorer, on a reasonable contract)

• Tyus Jones (starting PG, or a big trade asset)

• Danilo Gallinari

• Mike Muscala

• Four (!) first-round pick swaps with the Suns: 2024, 2026, 2028 and 2030. The first two won’t matter; the last two might

• Five (!!) future seconds from Phoenix between 2024 and 2030 (originally six, but one of the seconds went to Indy in the Coulibaly trade)

• Likely to hold on to its first owed to New York in 2024 and 2025, maybe 2026

• Protected (1-20) 2030 first from the Warriors

• Two future seconds from the Bulls for pick 35 in the 2023 draft

• 2027 second-round pick from the Warriors

• Landry Shamet

• Patrick Baldwin Jr. (2022 Warriors first-round pick)

• Ryan Rollins

#1095 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 23 June 2023 - 10:44 AM

I don’t think most people regard Poole’s deal as reasonable.

Maybe he just needed a change of scenery but he plays zee defense and if his shot ain’t falling…

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#1096 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 June 2023 - 10:58 AM

I’m sure the motivation of playing for a team with aspirations for next years #1 pick will help him step up his defense.

Poole stinks. Hope they trade him.

Like I’ve said, so far the net result is nothing, meaningless even. Going to come down to scouting and development. Which right off the bat will be tested with the project they took last night.

#1097 SouthRider

SouthRider

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 726 posts

Posted 23 June 2023 - 11:01 AM

Can someone explain these first round swaps with the Suns to me?  So when the Wizards are terrible for the next decade while the Suns are average or better, they swap first round picks in even numbered years?  How is that a benefit to Washington? 

#1098 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 23 June 2023 - 11:14 AM

Can someone explain these first round swaps with the Suns to me? So when the Wizards are terrible for the next decade while the Suns are average or better, they swap first round picks in even numbered years? How is that a benefit to Washington?

They are swap options. The Wiz are basically hoping the Suns run ends and they have to blow it up once KD retires and we can swap firsts with them if we choose to
  • Mike B and SouthRider like this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#1099 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 June 2023 - 12:19 PM

I’m sure the motivation of playing for a team with aspirations for next years #1 pick will help him step up his defense.

Poole stinks. Hope they trade him.

Like I’ve said, so far the net result is nothing, meaningless even. Going to come down to scouting and development. Which right off the bat will be tested with the project they took last night.

I think they give Poole this year to see if he can play back to form.  He played very well in the Warriors last championship run, but was not good this past year.

The Wizards are going to suck, they need to see if they can find a few players.

@mikeghg

#1100 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,966 posts

Posted 23 June 2023 - 12:57 PM

Poole's likely to have a huge scoring year, so maybe that would improve his trade market.  He's maybe 90% of Beal at 60% of the cost, plus he's 6 years younger and more likely to be able to play every day.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=