• Please log in to reply
1130 replies to this topic

#1021 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 27 June 2022 - 09:44 AM

IMO, the Wizards would have been better off long term, had Bradley entered free agency.

I've gone back and forth on this a few times now. I mean I keep thinking to be a legit contending team you gotta have two stars...they've got one. It's about having that 2nd one to pair with him, and then having the cheaper support players. Where they keep screwing up is their drafting has been pretty awful. Even the ones they drafted with a little value they trade away for nothing later. They were stuck on drafting for need when they had Wall and Beal (all those athletic stretch 3s) and none of them were helpful.

They really should have just said screw mocks and projections and just taken the 2 best defensive players in the draft and called it a day, at least you know those could help at this level, and you hope they develop some offense later. I think Deni COULD be helpful in that sense if he develops a bit more. Kuzma is a great complementary player. If Kristaps can get back to where he was in NY, they COULD make a run as a mid-seed EC team...from there just gotta get hot and get some luck at the right time. They'll never be a favorite to win things, but could be in the mix.

Then again it's a lot of maybes and that's where I'm like just tear it all down and start over...again.

@JeremyMStrain

#1022 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 June 2022 - 10:07 AM

I've gone back and forth on this a few times now. I mean I keep thinking to be a legit contending team you gotta have two stars...they've got one. It's about having that 2nd one to pair with him, and then having the cheaper support players. Where they keep screwing up is their drafting has been pretty awful. Even the ones they drafted with a little value they trade away for nothing later. They were stuck on drafting for need when they had Wall and Beal (all those athletic stretch 3s) and none of them were helpful.

They really should have just said screw mocks and projections and just taken the 2 best defensive players in the draft and called it a day, at least you know those could help at this level, and you hope they develop some offense later. I think Deni COULD be helpful in that sense if he develops a bit more. Kuzma is a great complementary player. If Kristaps can get back to where he was in NY, they COULD make a run as a mid-seed EC team...from there just gotta get hot and get some luck at the right time. They'll never be a favorite to win things, but could be in the mix.

Then again it's a lot of maybes and that's where I'm like just tear it all down and start over...again.

I like Beal, but just think, he may be in decline.  I also think the Wizards have bent over backwards to keep him happy.   After awhile that takes a toll.

@mikeghg

#1023 SouthRider

SouthRider

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 726 posts

Posted 28 June 2022 - 07:48 PM

Resigning Beal to even more money would be a horrible move, They would be a cash strapped playoff team that would never be able to advance. If Beal opts out, I hope they show him the door. Overpaid, too old, injury prone diva who hogs the ball taking away development reps from the other players. No thanks. Take the savings and sign a reasonable veteran PG until Davis develops. Build around Kuzma and Kristaps. They did a nice job gett8ng out of Wall and then Westbrook's contracts. Don't F it up now by cav8ng 8nto Bradley Beal's demands.

#1024 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 June 2022 - 10:17 PM

Resigning Beal to even more money would be a horrible move, They would be a cash strapped playoff team that would never be able to advance. If Beal opts out, I hope they show him the door. Overpaid, too old, injury prone diva who hogs the ball taking away development reps from the other players. No thanks. Take the savings and sign a reasonable veteran PG until Davis develops. Build around Kuzma and Kristaps. They did a nice job gett8ng out of Wall and then Westbrook's contracts. Don't F it up now by cav8ng 8nto Bradley Beal's demands.

Wow that is some serious Beal hate.  However If it were me, I would let him go to.  

@mikeghg

#1025 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 29 June 2022 - 12:04 PM

Nuggets trade Monte Morris, Will Barton to Wizards for Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Ish Smith https://trib.al/iR0tOY2

#1026 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 29 June 2022 - 12:10 PM

Nuggets trade Monte Morris, Will Barton to Wizards for Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Ish Smith https://trib.al/iR0tOY2

I like KCP but I think the Wizards won this trade.

@mikeghg

#1027 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 29 June 2022 - 02:32 PM

Yeah, the Wizards are desperate for a point guard, so Morris should be a nice pickup.  Might be a good trade for both sides.

#1028 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 29 June 2022 - 03:20 PM

I think it's a good deal for both. KCP is a good fit with Jokic; and while Smith is a downgrade from Morris, he gets Denver under the luxury tax, which is fine when you're talking backup PGs (assuming Murray comes back healthy, as expected).

#1029 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 29 June 2022 - 04:07 PM

ESPN: Washington Wizards star Bradley Beal declines $36.4 million player option, agent says

https://www.espn.com...tion-agent-says

#1030 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 29 June 2022 - 06:27 PM

ESPN: Washington Wizards star Bradley Beal declines $36.4 million player option, agent says

https://www.espn.com...tion-agent-says

Everyone knew that was coming.

#1031 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 30 June 2022 - 07:00 AM

Paying Beal 5/$250 seems completely crazy, but I guess that's what's about to happen.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#1032 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 30 June 2022 - 06:55 PM

5 years, $251M for Beal, per Woj.

#1033 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 June 2022 - 07:29 PM

Insane.

#1034 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 30 June 2022 - 08:09 PM

There's nothing crazy about Bradley Beal getting a max contract. Totally normal.

If you want to say they would have been better off trading him previously, ok, that's a legit discussion.

#1035 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 01 July 2022 - 02:04 PM

If you look at the contracts being agreed to now, we're at the point where pretty much every garden-variety starting 5 player in the league (who is no longer on the rookie wage scale) is getting paid $20-25 million a year. A star player making double that amount is pretty much to be expected.

#1036 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 01 July 2022 - 02:17 PM

I think Bill Simmons has it right on Beal that you just can't invest that much into a Top 40 ish overall player, who doesn't help defensively. 

That said, Beal is an elite scorer, if he wants to be part of the roster... that's something... Wizards have some talent.. would be nice to see them stay healthy, and put together a couple of seasons of consistent relevancy. 

#1037 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 04:00 PM

5 years, $251M for Beal, per Woj.

The deal also has a no-trade clause.

#1038 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 14 July 2022 - 07:53 AM

Balt Sun: Will Barton excelled in Baltimore before reaching the NBA. Now close to home with Wizards, he’s set to ‘play with even more passion.’

#1039 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 01 October 2022 - 09:56 AM

CBS Sports: Washington Wizards 2022-23 NBA preview: Bradley Beal, Kristaps Porzingis look to form new duo in D.C.

https://www.cbssport...-new-duo-in-dc/

#1040 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 26 May 2023 - 07:25 AM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=