Photo

Baltimore Development Discussion (General)

• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#101 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 20 December 2017 - 03:50 PM

Baltimore needs a metro system like DC.  And it would be great if the two could link up. 

Will never happen, but that's ideal.

• The Epic and NewMarketSean like this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#102 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 20 December 2017 - 04:41 PM

I love how the traffic solutions you guys are suggesting boil down to, "Those ideas everyone hated in the '60s." :D

Yes, we need trains. Subway and light rail and MARC radiating in a bunch of directions. Hell, the part of Philly where I live has surface trolleys that eventually run underground through Center City alongside the subway. That could be a solution.

@DJ_McCann

#103 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,464 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 04:43 PM

They could also extend 70 to where I said it could be extended to, around Hilton Pkwy, and then build a short metro line to the Westside MARC station and use that line of the metro as a park and ride/shuttle line to Charles Center. Transfer there to green line metro and yellow line light rail. It could run like a shuttle between MARC and Charles Center and there's a second platform at Charles Center that is dark and has been for 40 years. Then you have another MARC station connected to mass transit!!! And you've extended the metro by a station and you could always expand it more down the road.

Ideaz!

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#104 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 20 December 2017 - 04:59 PM

I just wish there were more stops on the metro. LOL

#105 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 24 December 2017 - 03:03 PM

Los Angeles should serve as a cautionary tale for the thinking that adding more lanes and highways reduces congestion for more than just a very short term. They have built out the most extensive highway system in the country, 6-lanes (each way) in many parts. Still the worst traffic in the US....and this despite continuously adding to their metro rail system too.

I think there will always be a large segment of the population that just won't give up driving alone in their cars, no matter how miserable the experience is and how convenient public transit options are. Likewise it doesn't seem increased time spent sitting in traffic has altered behavior in other ways we expected, like a critical mass of people working flex-hours to spread traffic out over time or telecommuting. Same goes for people living much closer to their work (or vice-versa) so that they have other options for their commute like walking/cycling, or a short enough distance that public transit is more appealing.

We'll see what the impending driverless car-for-hire revolution will bring, but I think the only real sea-change we'll see is when a new generation, one that hasn't grown up with an attachment to their cars, comes of age. For years it looked like the Millennial generation might have bucked the trend, but that may have simply been due to a poor economy and higher rates of student loan debt at the time....because now it seems they are buying cars in much larger numbers.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#106 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,876 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 02:48 PM

Kind of a random thought...

It may have happened already, but Baltimore City is about to fall below 10% of the total Maryland population - Maryland has about 6,000,000 people and rising, while Baltimore has about 600,000 people and falling (or maybe holding steady).

In 1920, more than half of all Marylanders lived in Baltimore, and even in 1950 Baltimore had about 40% of Maryland's population.  By 1980, it had fallen below 20%, and it was about 15% by 1990.  Now it's less than 10%, or it will be soon.

http://worldpopulati...and-population/

https://www.biggestu...timore-maryland

#107 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,721 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 03:57 PM

Just more people living around the City vs. in.

Metro population is 2.7M.....  or the 21st largest Metro:
https://en.wikipedia...tropolitan_area

Maryland has an estimated population of 6.08M.

2.7M / 6.08M = 44%.

Would be interesting to know what the Metro's total population was in 1950 as comparison.

#108 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 06:10 PM

Kind of a random thought...

It may have happened already, but Baltimore City is about to fall below 10% of the total Maryland population - Maryland has about 6,000,000 people and rising, while Baltimore has about 600,000 people and falling (or maybe holding steady).

In 1920, more than half of all Marylanders lived in Baltimore, and even in 1950 Baltimore had about 40% of Maryland's population.  By 1980, it had fallen below 20%, and it was about 15% by 1990.  Now it's less than 10%, or it will be soon.

http://worldpopulati...and-population/

https://www.biggestu...timore-maryland

When I was a kid, BAL was the nation's 7th largest city... with over a million... DC was a very much smaller town... and the Sun was one of the nation's top newspapers...

The City paid for what the state needed, regardless if it was in BAL or not... the airport... the reservoirs... lots of stuff...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#109 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,876 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 12:58 PM

Just more people living around the City vs. in.

Metro population is 2.7M.....  or the 21st largest Metro:
https://en.wikipedia...tropolitan_area

Maryland has an estimated population of 6.08M.

2.7M / 6.08M = 44%.

Would be interesting to know what the Metro's total population was in 1950 as comparison.

The size of the metro area is important if you're the Orioles or the Ravens, and it's good for local TV and radio.  But when it comes to paying money to fix problems in Baltimore City, I'm guessing a huge percentage of the metro area just doesn't give a crap.  People in the counties can just stay home - hasn't Carroll County basically already done that?  That's a big difference between now and 1950.

#110 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 01:52 PM

The size of the metro area is important if you're the Orioles or the Ravens, and it's good for local TV and radio.  But when it comes to paying money to fix problems in Baltimore City, I'm guessing a huge percentage of the metro area just doesn't give a crap.  People in the counties can just stay home - hasn't Carroll County basically already done that?  That's a big difference between now and 1950.

Yep. Those in the suburbs want the amenities/advantages of a city without the responsibility.

@DJ_McCann

#111 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,721 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 03:04 PM

Agree with the ultimate conclusion.... but Baltimore is more than just the City itself.  It is the Metro as a whole.

When we (all who comprise the Metro) do a better job of touting the collective strength of the Metro (and addressing the weaknesses)...  we will all be better off.

It's a huge deal for Baltimore City, that it's one of the only major cities in the country not incorporated into the surrounding county.

#112 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 22 February 2018 - 08:40 PM

It's a huge deal for Baltimore City, that it's one of the only major cities in the country not incorporated into the surrounding county.

Very huge. I think it's one of, if not the biggest reason Baltimore continues to struggle while many other older cities have experienced a renaissance.

Baltimore City essentially being its own county was a good thing in the first half of the 20th century, since the City had most of the taxpayers and businesses within its borders, so it didn't have to share all those tax revenues with the County (and as RShack pointed out, the City even built and owned major infrastructure beyond its borders).

But then in the latter half of the century it was the opposite, with the hard border restricting Baltimore City's ability to grow its territory as people spread out thanks to cars and larger homes that were still affordable to the average family. Then the businesses set up out there too. Gradually they all took with them the revenues that the City no longer had to maintain its huge infrastructure for a smaller, and increasingly poorer, population. And since it wasn't part of growing Baltimore County, no help there either like other major cities had.

#113 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 12:23 PM

Baltimore suffers steep population decline, new Census figures show

http://www.baltimore...0322-story.html

Down 5,300 in a year, down 9,000 overall since the 2010 census, even after the population was estimated to be increasing through 2015. It's the second-largest total drop in a county-level jurisdiction in the US, and since the biggest overall drop is from Cook County, IL, it's easily the biggest per capita.

Yeesh.

@DJ_McCann

#114 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 22 March 2018 - 01:06 PM

I mean, really, why would you want to live in the city?

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#115 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,464 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 01:14 PM

Easy. The proximity to work, culture, restaurants, bars, etc.

But you also have to be prepared for all the negative stuff too. If the bad doesn't outweigh the good, then you have reason to live there.

It's a shame what's happened in Baltimore the last few years. For a while it seemed like things were going good and there was real optimism.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#116 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 22 March 2018 - 02:43 PM

Living in the city is mostly great.

Well as long as you are able to live in one of the more desirable parts of it. 

It's obviously not for everyone. Same with living in the Burbs, or the country, or the mountains/woods, etc. 

#117 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 02:45 PM

Living in the city is mostly great.

Well as long as you able to live in one of the more desirable parts of it. 

It's obviously not for everyone. Same with living in the Burbs, or the country, or the mountains/woods, etc. 

What's the worst thing about it as it effects you directly in a normal sort of way?  (Doesn't matter.... just curious...)

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#118 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,427 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 02:47 PM

What's the worst thing about it as it effects you directly in a normal sort of way?

Parking

#119 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 22 March 2018 - 02:53 PM

What's the worst thing about it as it effects you directly in a normal sort of way?  (Doesn't matter.... just curious...)

I'd say the traffic if I want to drive to the East side during a busy time, because there just isn't a good way to get across downtown from where I live. However, I enjoy walking when it's nicer out and if I have the time. 

#120 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 02:55 PM

Parking

What % of the time does looking for a spot make you say/think/feel "godammit!"?

Ditto for "Whew, that's lucky!"?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=