Photo

Baltimore Development Discussion (General)

• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#141 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:37 AM

Interesting article in today's Sun, tracing the history of the rowhouse that collapsed two years ago, killing the guy who liked to sit in his old Cadillac and listen to music.

http://www.baltimore...-htmlstory.html

• NewMarketSean likes this

#142 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:25 AM

Interesting article in today's Sun, tracing the history of the rowhouse that collapsed two years ago, killing the guy who liked to sit in his old Cadillac and listen to music.

http://www.baltimore...-htmlstory.html

I just finished it. Interesting history and tragic that it had to result in the death of someone. At least something good came from it and the city razed dozens of other vacant buildings threatening to collapse.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#143 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 25 September 2018 - 05:46 AM

https://deadspin.com...ibly-1829284068

Seattle found a way to pay for an arena without stiffing the taxpayers with the bill, why can't Baltimore?

#144 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 25 September 2018 - 08:32 PM

https://deadspin.com...ibly-1829284068

Seattle found a way to pay for an arena without stiffing the taxpayers with the bill, why can't Baltimore?

Well, the obvious answer is that there are two things Seattle has that Baltimore doesn't:

1. Wealthy individuals willing to invest in a private stadium as a corporate entity.

2. Two leagues desperate to get into the market.

@DJ_McCann

#145 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 10:29 PM

The Sun: Tourists spent $17 billion in Baltimore last year (and why were the streets filled with New Yorkers?)

https://www.baltimor...1114-story.html

@DJ_McCann

#146 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,441 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 26 November 2018 - 02:04 PM

Baltimore Sun: Baltimore transit needs local oversight, more funding, regional transportation report says

The city’s transit system is one of only a few in the country owned and operated by the state, rather than a regional authority or local transportation department — a problem, according to the blueprint, because “state officials are accountable to constituents across Maryland, many of whom do not live in Baltimore and may not share Baltimore’s goals.”

Echoes what several of us here have said for some time.

#147 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 03:41 PM

When was the IH supposed to be swimmable by?

They said it would be swimmable when they started putting those floating gardens in the water years ago.

Not swimmable today!

It is now...kinda...

https://www.baltimor...0529-story.html

@DJ_McCann

#148 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 10:08 AM

Sounds like Harborplace was basically just repossessed by the bank.

https://www.baltimor...0603-story.html

#149 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 11:47 AM

This probably isn't good.

https://www.baltimor...0624-story.html

#150 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 12:43 PM

This probably doesn't bode well for people (like me) who use 395 to get into the city.

https://www.baltimor...kp7q-story.html

#151 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 July 2019 - 01:18 PM

This probably doesn't bode well for people (like me) who use 395 to get into the city.

https://www.baltimor...kp7q-story.html

Good god thats awful.

There have been so many water main breaks, sink holes, etc...lately..both in the city and the county.

Wonder what is going on?

#152 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 10 July 2019 - 01:25 PM

Good god thats awful.

There have been so many water main breaks, sink holes, etc...lately..both in the city and the county.

Wonder what is going on?

Old infrastructure that is not properly maintained because it's not made into a priority.
  • SportsGuy and NewMarketSean like this

#153 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 July 2019 - 01:30 PM

Old infrastructure that is not properly maintained because it's not made into a priority.

In front of the jewelry store I work at, a water main has broken like 4 times in the last 3 or 4 years and one a little further down York rd has busted multiple times.

Its crazy.  

The problem also is (on top of the point you made above) is that when they fix it the first time(S), they band aid it.  They don't do enough but that also probably is because of a lack of funds?  I don't know.  I certainly see a lot of workers standing around doing nothing though, that's for sure.

Is there a state known for great infrastructure? If so, it would be good to study what they do.

#154 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 01:34 PM

In front of the jewelry store I work at, a water main has broken like 4 times in the last 3 or 4 years and one a little further down York rd has busted multiple times.

Its crazy.

The problem also is (on top of the point you made above) is that when they fix it the first time(S), they band aid it. They don't do enough but that also probably is because of a lack of funds? I don't know. I certainly see a lot of workers standing around doing nothing though, that's for sure.

Is there a state known for great infrastructure? If so, it would be good to study what they do.

Not sure about a state, but I'm guessing you wouldn't like a key component of having better infrastructure.

This country used to be the best in the world, or close to it when it comes to infrastructure. We've fallen way off, largely due to neglect and the difficulties associated with sprawl. As for models, it might sense to look beyond the pond, the Atlantic or Pacific version.

#155 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 July 2019 - 01:52 PM

Not sure about a state, but I'm guessing you wouldn't like a key component of having better infrastructure.

This country used to be the best in the world, or close to it when it comes to infrastructure. We've fallen way off, largely due to neglect and the difficulties associated with sprawl. As for models, it might sense to look beyond the pond, the Atlantic or Pacific version.

Taxes?  I am all for paying taxes on things like that.   The problem is, I have no faith that the raising of taxes will actually go towards that enough.  It will just go to more wasteful things, like suing Trump or dumb, unproductive stuff like that.

I really wish a system was in place to be able to dictate where your tax dollars went.  

#156 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 01:54 PM

Taxes?  I am all for paying taxes on things like that.   The problem is, I have no faith that the raising of taxes will actually go towards that enough.  It will just go to more wasteful things, like suing Trump or dumb, unproductive stuff like that.

I really wish a system was in place to be able to dictate where your tax dollars went.  

Trump was supposed to be an infrastructure "let's build it" kinda guy.

How'd "Infrastructure Week" work recently? LOL

• DJ MC likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#157 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 01:56 PM

Taxes? I am all for paying taxes on things like that. The problem is, I have no faith that the raising of taxes will actually go towards that enough. It will just go to more wasteful things, like suing Trump or dumb, unproductive stuff like that.

That would turn out horribly imo.

#158 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 01:57 PM

Yeah, don't want to get political, except that I don't think it should be political...  I would think it would be completely obvious that we should be fixing and updating our infrastructure.  It would give people jobs, make people's lives better by reducing events like this.  It just seems like the kind of thing everybody would be in favor of.

• NewMarketSean likes this

#159 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 01:58 PM

Yeah, don't want to get political, except that I don't think it should be political... I would think it would be completely obvious that we should be fixing and updating our infrastructure. It would give people jobs, make people's lives better by reducing events like this. It just seems like the kind of think everybody would be in favor of.

You would think so.

#160 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 02:00 PM

Sprawl is such a huge problem when it comes to this and some other problems in this country.

We spread our infrastructure out way too much when ideally we would have been maintaining and improving what we already had.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=