Photo

Baltimore Development Discussion (General)

• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#121 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,601 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 22 March 2018 - 02:58 PM

Parking actually isn't bad where I live, but I can definitely understand why that's a negative overall. 

#122 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63,510 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 03:07 PM

What % of the time does looking for a spot make you say/think/feel "godammit!"?

Ditto for "Whew, that's lucky!"?

It's pretty low.  There is a (now-defunct and empty) school across the street from me so that helps a lot rather than have another full block of houses with residents vying for limited spaces.  I haven't had to park more than about 2 blocks from my house in a long time, even when I work weird hours and get home in the middle of the night.  I'm within half a block of my house probably 90% of the time.

A handful of blocks west of me though and it gets pretty terrible.

#123 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 29 April 2018 - 09:38 PM

Baltimore Sun - Op/Ed: Light rail fails Baltimore residents

Since I moved to Baltimore in July, the light rail has been my lifeline and an opportunity to support public transportation, which I consider my civic duty. I teach at the University of Baltimore (State Center and Mount Royal stops), bought a house in south Baltimore County (Baltimore Highlands stop), consult with medical practitioners downtown (University Center and Centre Street stops) and in Hunt Valley (McCormick Road stop), and avoid train station or airport parking (Penn Station and BWI stops). In spite of the occasional delay or inconvenience of relying on “bus bridges” during shut-downs, the light rail has served me well.

That’s because I’m a middle-class white woman.

@DJ_McCann

#124 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,818 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 08:10 AM

I think she harps too much on the racist angle. The bottom line is that the MTA is simply inept, regardless of race. Add that the light rail was poorly designed and quickly implemented and we're still feeling that 25 years later.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#125 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,148 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 30 April 2018 - 10:00 AM

I think she harps too much on the racist angle. The bottom line is that the MTA is simply inept, regardless of race. Add that the light rail was poorly designed and quickly implemented and we're still feeling that 25 years later.

I agree here. 

#126 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 20,247 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 30 April 2018 - 02:37 PM

I think it's more a case of she's just lucky (and not because she's white) that light rail goes just about everywhere she needs to go. While Portland is one of the least racially-diverse cities in the country, as a middle class white guy our public transportation (light rail included) has never really served my needs at all. And this despite the fact that our system is probably 10x better than what Baltimore offers. I'd love to leave my car and ride the rail or bus more often, but it just wouldn't work unless I'm willing to spend as much as an extra hour in the course of a day to get where I need to go.

#127 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,025 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 22 May 2018 - 01:26 PM

So on WBAL yesterday there were talking about the Preakness and if/when we see some sort of renovation to Pimlico ensuring the long term stability of the race.  This got me thinking and maybe we've discusssed it already but I don't remember.  A Pimlico renovation would likely include some public money.  If that were to happen I doubt we would ever see a new arena.  So my question is if we could only get one which would it be?  For me it would be a new Arena.   That would be tough to because a new Pimlico would likely save the Preakness, but I just think a new Arena could do more for the city.

#128 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,148 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 22 May 2018 - 01:28 PM

So on WBAL yesterday there were talking about the Preakness and if/when we see some sort of renovation to Pimlico ensuring the long term stability of the race.  This got me thinking and maybe we've discusssed it already but I don't remember.  A Pimlico renovation would likely include some public money.  If that were to happen I doubt we would ever see a new arena.  So my question is if we could only get one which would it be?  For me it would be a new Arena.   That would be tough to because a new Pimlico would likely save the Preakness, but I just think a new Arena could do more for the city.

The Arena. Not even a question for me. 

#129 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,818 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 01:32 PM

Preakness is moving to Laurel. Book it. Neither a new arena or a renovated Pimlico is ever going to happen. Pimlico will be a senior-living center or affordable housing within ten years.
  • Mike in STL likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#130 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 02:37 PM

Preakness is moving to Laurel. Book it. Neither a new arena or a renovated Pimlico is ever going to happen. Pimlico will be a senior-living center or affordable housing within ten years.

Thats how I feel it goes down. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#131 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 03:12 PM

And the lake in the infield? And the lack of infrastructure getting to the track? No way you get 135k+ in attendance for the last Preakness and despite the rain. I'm not saying Pimilico doesn't have issues, but so does Laurel.

250px-Laurel_Racetrack_1998.jpg

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#132 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,818 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 03:36 PM

And the lake in the infield? And the lack of infrastructure getting to the track? No way you get 135k+ in attendance for the last Preakness and despite the rain. I'm not saying Pimilico doesn't have issues, but so does Laurel.

250px-Laurel_Racetrack_1998.jpg

You can infill that pond pretty easily.

There's a MARC train station right at the track. It's close to several highways as opposed to a metro stop a mile away and in the middle of a residential neighborhood. There are hotels in BWI, not to mention in downtown Baltimore and DC. It's not like people stay in and hang out in Pimlico as is. They all stay elsewhere and then travel to and from the track for Preakness. The same will happen at Laurel.

Also, the actually facility itself is worlds ahead of Pimlico. And listening to the Strobach Group talk, they seem intent to move it to Laurel anyway. The only way it stays in Pimlico is if the city and state shell out $300-500 million dollars and I don't see that happening.

It will be in Laurel. Maybe as soon as 2020.

#133 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 20,247 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 22 May 2018 - 04:31 PM

The arena, as it can host a lot more events.

It'll suck to see the Preakness leave Pimlico, but I also believe that is a just a question of when, not if. I used to love going to the Preakness, but it seemed like during the 2000's the infield scene gradually devolved into something that I no longer wanted to be a part of, so I think 2005 was the last year I attended. Though I hear it changed a lot after they banned BYOB (surprised that didn't happen a lot sooner). In 2006 I went to the Virgin Music Festival, which was cool. Good lineup for that time, and even saw Richard Branson there. But it seems like other than a couple days a year that place is going to waste.

#134 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 159,072 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 10:23 AM

BBJ: Crane Watch update: Harbor Point's newest building gets underway; $100M Harbor East tower planned
https://www.bizjourn...t-building.html

BBJ: Columbia embraces Jetsons-like future as 'Tenable Building' breaks ground
https://www.bizjourn...as-tenable.html

#135 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,470 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 12:41 PM

Whatever could this be, I wonder.

http://www.baltimore...0628-story.html

#136 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,148 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 28 June 2018 - 12:42 PM

Whatever could this be, I wonder.

http://www.baltimore...0628-story.html

I was going for a swim, and I farted.

Nothing to see here.

#137 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,818 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 12:43 PM

I was going for a swim, and I farted.

Nothing to see here.

When was the IH supposed to be swimmable by?

They said it would be swimmable when they started putting those floating gardens in the water years ago.

Not swimmable today!

#138 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,148 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 28 June 2018 - 12:49 PM

When was the IH supposed to be swimmable by?

They said it would be swimmable when they started putting those floating gardens in the water years ago.

Not swimmable today!

Wasn't there a #swimmableby2020 campaign? Maybe I'm wrong?

#139 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,369 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 28 June 2018 - 01:54 PM

It was 2020.

#140 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 159,072 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 01:58 PM

Shame if this is significant.... the Bay's health has been improving.

Scientists say they're confident Chesapeake Bay health is 'significantly ...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=