Photo

Baltimore Development Discussion (General)

• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#81 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 06:22 PM

This is interesting - engineering advances have dropped the estimated cost of fixing the Howard Street train tunnel from as high as $3B to only $425M.  They want to raise the height of the tunnel by 1.5 feet to allow double decker freight cars to pass through, which would supposedly be great news for the port of Baltimore, and might also reduce truck traffic on I-95.

http://www.baltimore...0414-story.html

The big reduction in costs is because they figured out how to do it all underground... the big money number was back when they had to daylight the tunnel to fix it and then cover it up again...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#82 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 02:05 PM

BDC reviews proposals for Robicelli's Bakery, Milk & Honey Market, beer garden

A Brooklyn bakery would set up shop at the corner of Franklin and Howard streets near the new Ceremony Coffee Roasters, in one of three developer proposals for different groups of city-owned properties now pending before the mayor.

The board of the Baltimore Development Corp. reviewed and voted on two of the proposals, located in a bleak part of the west side of downtown, in closed session Thursday. The board reviewed and made a recommendation for plans for a Pigtown project earlier this year.

http://www.baltimore...0428-story.html

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#83 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,729 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 09 August 2016 - 07:26 AM

Another water wheel is on the way!

http://digitaleditio...sthash.grLd9si9

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#84 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:41 PM

http://www.baltimore...0515-story.html

#85 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 05:20 AM

Wacky loophole. I have very little faith in the city measuring water usage accurately too.
  • Chris B likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#86 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:50 AM

The new water system is getting tons of complaints around the city.

The new meters and the online system are actually pretty great, IMO.  I can track my daily water usage and it seems very accurate to me.  I know the days that I run lots of water and days that I'm not home and don't run any, and it seems to be right on the money.  I've gotten lucky and am having no issues with billing.  A lot of people with newer houses that had to have fire suppression systems (sprinklers) installed by code, required larger access pipes to get the enough water flow if the sprinklers ever need to be used, and the city was billing outrageous monthly fees for anyone with those larger water supply pipes.  Totally unrelated to actual usage, just having the wider supply pipe went up from like a $15 monthly base fee (before any actual water usage was charged) to something like $70.  Which people were rightfully furious about. 

And that's from going from a standard 1/2" supply pipe to a larger 3/4" supply pipe for the sprinkler system.    I can't imagine how much they must be charging a huge building like a stadium that must have several much larger supply lines to cover their max water flow needs.  And that's just the monthly infrastructure baseline before they charge for any actual water usage, which is something like a penny a gallon.

#87 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 20 July 2017 - 11:31 AM

Just received verbal govt approval for The Boring Company to build an underground NY-Phil-Balt-DC Hyperloop. NY-DC in 29 mins.

Replying to @elonmusk

City center to city center in each case, with up to a dozen or more entry/exit elevators in each city

#88 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 01:02 PM

Just received verbal govt approval for The Boring Company to build an underground NY-Phil-Balt-DC Hyperloop. NY-DC in 29 mins.

Replying to @elonmusk

City center to city center in each case, with up to a dozen or more entry/exit elevators in each city

It would be awesome if this was built in our lifetime. Imagine the commute to NYC from DC or BAL. Certainly a game changer.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#89 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 20 July 2017 - 01:59 PM

"Verbal gov't approval"

That means nothing.

• NewMarketSean likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#90 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:11 AM

Taneytown Deli in Catonsville is good eats.
  • Nigel Tufnel likes this

@bopper33

#91 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:08 AM

Taneytown Deli in Catonsville is good eats.

Any relation to the one in Cockeysville with the same name? Also pretty good food.

#92 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:14 AM

Any relation to the one in Cockeysville with the same name? Also pretty good food.

Yep..same place

Do you work/live near there?

I work across the street from there a day a week.

#93 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 03:52 PM

So I hear the BaltimoreLink bus system is a mess...

• DuffMan likes this

#94 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 17 August 2017 - 04:24 PM

Mitch Landrieu for President

@fuzydunlop

#95 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 17 August 2017 - 04:35 PM

Mitch Landrieu for President

I actually think a fair amount of the more reasonable people that aren't for taking down the statues would change their mind if they watched that speech. The text of the speech itself is tremendous, but the way he comes across is very helpful in this regard as well. 

#96 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 09 September 2017 - 04:35 PM

Baltimore Sun: Baltimore council members object to plan to turn Boston Street into 'superhighway'

#97 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 03:32 PM

Baltimore County officials say Amazon in 'final phase' of negotiations for facility at Tradepoint Atlantic - Amazon is in the final phase of negotiations to build a distribution center at the site of an old steel mill in Sparrows Point that could result in 1,500 new jobs, according to Baltimore County officials.

http://www.baltimore...0926-story.html

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#98 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 03:39 PM

Hogan announces $460 million plan to alleviate congestion in metro area:

http://www.baltimore...1219-story.html

There is no reason to have such wide shoulders on 695 when they can easily become extra lanes. But aside from doing that, I am of the mind that you can't build your way out of congestion. It'll just put more cars on the road.

And if you MUST put that money toward roads, do something that will really take cars off 695 on the west side where traffic is the worst -- extend I-70 to downtown. The west side was razed to do that in the 70's and 80's so it's already been done. Any relocation of people would be minimal. All that needs to come down now are trees along Franklintown Road. Have 70 tunneled to connect with the Highway to Nowhere, or simply have it dump off into Hilton Pkwy and perhaps widen or increase traffic signal times on Route 40 between Hilton Pkwy and the HTN.

#99 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 03:49 PM

Yea the shoulders on the beltway are absurd.

Your idea about dumping 70 into downtown is great.

I'd also consider somehow linking the JFX to 95 south of the city but that would require building the highway through big residential/commercial areas so dunno how feasible that is.

@bopper33

#100 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 03:49 PM

Yeah, I don't think more lanes is the answer. 70 into downtown could work. Also an easier ramp from 70 into the beltway, easier ramps at the 83 mergers.

I feel like all they have done is widen the beltway little by little for years. Still congested. It is what it is. Maybe if the new lane is an express lane, similar to the one in 95 from white marsh down to 895. That stretch doesn't ever seem nearly as bad as it used to be unless there's an accident.
@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=