205 replies to this topic

#161 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:02 AM

Whats defined as a pop up? Specifically here.

#162 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:09 AM

Not sure since the tweet didn't specify but I would assume anything in the infield or foul territory.

#163 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,936 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:16 AM

I don't know the exact grade here, but it's from Fangraphs, who gets their batted ball data from Baseball Information Solutions (BIS).

Baseball as a whole from 2010-2018 had nearly 38k infield fly balls out of almost 1.6M plate appearances, 2.38% of plate appearances.

Votto from 2010-2018 has 7 infield fly balls out of 5341 PA, 0.13% of his plate appearances.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#164 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:32 AM

Likes around if I ever get off mobile. Votto is an amazing hitter. Arguably, the best of his generation

#165 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,936 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 10:31 AM

Likes around if I ever get off mobile. Votto is an amazing hitter. Arguably, the best of his generation

He's behind only Trout for career OPS+ among active players.

https://www.baseball...us_active.shtml

The younger guys on this list have an advantage over older guys like Pujols and Cabrera, who have had played beyond the peaks of their primes.  Votto is 34 though, only older players on the top-50 are Pujols, Cabrera, Choo, Cruz, Encarnacion, Gonzalez, Mauer, Wright, Bautista, Cano, and Martinez.

Chris Davis is still 50th :)

#166 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,269 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 01:45 PM

FanGraphs: Dodgers Clear Payroll as Reds Move Closer to Contender Status

#167 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 April 2019 - 07:31 PM

Votto popped out to first today...first time he has ever done that...in over 6800 plate appearances.

#168 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 17 April 2019 - 07:33 PM

Votto popped out to first today...first time he has ever done that...in over 6800 plate appearances.

That’s insane. So consistent and underrated.

#169 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,269 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 01:32 PM

CBS Sports: Pirates broadcaster embarrasses himself with comments about Derek Dietrich's grandfather
https://www.cbssport...hs-grandfather/

#170 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,269 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 05:28 PM

BREAKING: Third baseman Mike Moustakas and the Cincinnati Reds are in agreement on a four-year deal, league sources tell ESPN.

#171 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 December 2019 - 05:35 PM

To play second

#172 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,269 posts

Posted 17 December 2019 - 09:50 AM

Miley to the Reds on a 2 year deal.

#173 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 December 2019 - 11:41 AM

Perfect example of someone you shouldn’t be paying 2/17 for.

You should have someone in the minors that can do what he does.(or at least close to it where the money can be spent elsewhere)

#174 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,269 posts

Posted 17 December 2019 - 11:59 AM

Perfect example of someone you shouldn’t be paying 2/17 for.

You should have someone in the minors that can do what he does.(or at least close to it where the money can be spent elsewhere)

Last 3 years, he's gone: 27-23, 4.33 era, 81 starts, 405.1 ip, 414 hits, 51 hr's, 181 bb's, 332 k's

All-in-all, a useful back-end / below average starter. 

Of the 30 MLB teams, how many will enter 2020 with 5 viable starters? 

I don't think there will be many rookies in '20 across the game that produce numbers equal to what he's averaged the last 3, or does over '20. 

That said, he's decidedly average at best, and I do understand the desire to not want invest real money into that. 

I do think there is something to be said (especially with him in the NL) of getting some known mediocrity. 

#175 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 17 December 2019 - 12:52 PM

Last 3 years, he's gone: 27-23, 4.33 era, 81 starts, 405.1 ip, 414 hits, 51 hr's, 181 bb's, 332 k's

All-in-all, a useful back-end / below average starter. 

Of the 30 MLB teams, how many will enter 2020 with 5 viable starters? 

I don't think there will be many rookies in '20 across the game that produce numbers equal to what he's averaged the last 3, or does over '20. 

That said, he's decidedly average at best, and I do understand the desire to not want invest real money into that. 

I do think there is something to be said (especially with him in the NL) of getting some known mediocrity. 

I actually came across something like this in my interview a few months ago. As Chris said here there's more than one way to build a rotation, and if you think you can't afford or acquire a game changer, then, then next best plan is to make sure you've got legit ML depth. Not to go super deep into numbers, but ML average was a 4.49 ERA less than 1.0 K/IP and a .250 BAA. A variation on moneyball would let you find 5-6 lower tier SP to get or beat those numbers. And keep in mind those are bolstered by BP numbers too which are USUALLY better than this on a playoff team (excluding the Nats whose BP really dragged down their overall average).

I vaguely remember CIN being one of the biggest HR parks in baseball, but those numbers can bounce around a bit because a whole rotation of groundball pitchers is going to give up less than a rotation full of power fastball pitchers, no matter the park. But that point aside, it's like the revisionist history that slapped me in the face when I went to look back at our 95-97 run. I thought our pitching was MUCH better than it has been then and couldn't understand why it's so hard to get good pitching now, or what makes guys like Means have a good season when guys that do well other places completely fall apart here. I'm remembering guys like Kevin Brown, Erickson, Mussina, Moyer, etc. and thinking why haven't we been able to duplicate any of this? But when I looked back, our numbers weren't actually that great, numbers worse than league average this year, even in our wire to wire year. But our offense carried things, and league wide numbers were higher then, less parity in the league too.

Sidetracked...point being, it's not hard to put up a rotation that's league average and be a playoff team, and if you can't get in on the big guns, it's better than completely punting the rotation and hoping for the best.

@JeremyMStrain

#176 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 December 2019 - 03:55 PM

Well, he only threw 80 innings in 2018..ERA was good but peripherals weren’t.

He’s better than he showed here but he was terrible the last 4-8 weeks of 2019.

I think he could be a good BP piece but I wouldn’t want to pay him 8-9 million a year.

He has some level of value but something more like 1-5 with a team option for 6-8M makes a lot more sense.

#177 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,269 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 10:05 PM

Reds.com: Reds, Akiyama agree to 3-year, $21M deal
https://www.mlb.com/...ama-reds-update

#178 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 12:22 AM

Reds.com: Reds, Akiyama agree to 3-year, $21M deal

That’s an addition I would have liked to see the O’s make.
  • NewMarketSean likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#179 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 07 January 2020 - 01:32 PM

Reds.com: Reds, Akiyama agree to 3-year, $21M deal

Nice signing for the Reds.  

Hopefully by this time next year, it will be the type of thing the Orioles look to do.

@mikeghg

#180 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 30 January 2020 - 02:30 PM

Pedro Strop to the Reds..

They're winning this division.

@beginthebegin71