#62 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:34 PM

He hit 2 homers and drove in 8 last night. Somehow I think he's ready for stronger competition.

#63 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,542 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:44 PM

He was activated back to Norfolk today, and Brandon Wood has been released.

#64 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:56 PM

No, not Brandon Wood!
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#65 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,620 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:40 PM

No, not Brandon Wood!

What's next, we're gonna find out Robert Fick did steroids?
  • Adam Wolff, You Play to Win the Game and Markus like this

#66 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,542 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:02 PM

What's next, we're gonna find out Robert Fick did steroids?

Nah, we'll find out that Brandon Wood didn't do steroids. :lol:

• BobPhelan likes this

#67 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,339 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:23 AM

MASN: What should the O's do with Schoop?
http://www.masnsport...ith-schoop.html

Before the season I said that if you got to August 1st, and Roberts was not an option at 2nd (either injury or under-performance) and no external option had been added; I expected that Schoop would be an option for promotion.

Had Schoop not missed so much time, and if Roberts was having trouble staying in the lineup, I'd be pushing for that move to be made.

As it is, if Schoop is not traded today, I'd prefer Schoop to play 2nd everyday at AAA during August. Maybe he can help some in September. In the off-season, I consider sending him to the AFL or a Winter League for additional ab's that he missed during the season. I would also want him to spend some time working with Bordick at 2nd, and Brady on strength/speed conditioning.

Last night in the 'Trade Thread', Tucker said about Schoop:

"He's really good, just needs to find more consistency in his plate approach.

So young for AAA. Hell, he could be at Frederick like "normal" prospects and still be on a routine pace.

The more I hear/see about Schoop, the more I think he could end up being a legitimate power bat at a corner OF. Might actually end up being TOO big for the infield."

Certainly respect Tucker's opinion here... but it would still be my priority to keep Schoop at 2nd until he proves he can not stay there.

I would have had zero problem moving Schoop in the right trade. Moving Schoop for a Bud Norris (someone I actually like), would do nothing for me.

• Greg Pappas likes this

#68 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:36 PM

Is a Robinson Cano comparison completely outlandish? I've also thought maybe Schoop can be the SS of the future and Manny can stick at 3rd. That of course would require Flaherty or someone else to be a viable option at 2nd.
@gabefergy

#69 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,339 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:50 PM

Is a Robinson Cano comparison completely outlandish? I've also thought maybe Schoop can be the SS of the future and Manny can stick at 3rd. That of course would require Flaherty or someone else to be a viable option at 2nd.

I know people have always talked about the sound off Schoop's bat, when he squares... but the Cano comparison does seem extreme. While he has always been young for the levels he has been at, I'd like to see him put some high-end numbers up in the Minors (not that Machado needed to do so) before targeting what I would expect from him in the Majors.

Many people don't believe Schoop will be able to stay at 2nd, but I think that is at-least plausible. Don't see any chance of him playing SS at the Major League level based on the scouting reports we've seen. Maybe he could wind-up at 3rd, with Manny moving to SS down the road.

As I said above, I'd prefer him to stay at 2nd until he shows he can't stay there.

#70 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:21 PM

I know people have always talked about the sound off Schoop's bat, when he squares... but the Cano comparison does seem extreme. While he has always been young for the levels he has been at, I'd like to see him put some high-end numbers up in the Minors (not that Machado needed to do so) before targeting what I would expect from him in the Majors.

Many people don't believe Schoop will be able to stay at 2nd, but I think that is at-least plausible. Don't see any chance of him playing SS at the Major League level based on the scouting reports we've seen. Maybe he could wind-up at 3rd, with Manny moving to SS down the road.

As I said above, I'd prefer him to stay at 2nd until he shows he can't stay there.

I agree that comparing him to Cano is pretty extreme, but their minor league numbers aren't that disparate. Cano was a better hitter, but from a pure power standpoint there is something to look at.

I brought up the SS option because I know he has played a significant number of games there although ideally 2B would be his position in the majors.

I am very glad he wasn't traded as he certainly has potential to be a good everyday starter pretty soon.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@gabefergy

#71 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:34 PM

The Cano comparisons are outlandish, mostly because Cano is an elite second baseman. If you're comparing Schoop the prospect to Cano the prospect though, I think that's actually a pretty good comparison. 

I think the Orioles should let him be the everyday second baseman next year. I wouldn't be opposed to a September call-up either. 

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

#72 Jon Shepherd

Jon Shepherd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 562 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:15 AM

I think pretty few see him at 2B.  His future is 3B or LF, which I think is more dependent on what the team does with Machado.  Machado can be a solid defensive shortstop, but he is a fantastic defensive 3B.

My guess is that Hardy stays next year, Machado stays at third, and no reason solution is taken in LF.  A couple months in, Schoop arrives as a platoon partner in left field and gets scattered games at 2B.

We'll see.

#73 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:43 AM

Seeing him quite a bit live, I've always thought he's going to end up moving off 2nd. He's not really good there, but he can play it if you don't mind giving away defense. His skill set lends more the the quick first step, strong arm tool set that suits 3B, similar to Manny. (I said the same thing about him in the minors)

Schoop isn't as good there as Manny of course (who is?), but his lateral movement is limited by poor footwork and range, which makes him a better fit for 3B where the movement is more quick reaction than ranging left to right and his strong arm can make up for lack of speed.

@JeremyMStrain

#74 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:03 AM

Keith Law is still really high on him for the record. He said as much yesterday.

@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#75 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,339 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:18 PM

Apparently Duquette was on 105.7 The Fan today, and said Schoop's best position is 2nd.

So regardless of what anyone else thinks, the organization's perspective is important knowledge to have. Gives a large clue of what we can expect to see next year I think.

#76 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:29 PM

Apparently Duquette was on 105.7 The Fan today, and said Schoop's best position is 2nd.

So regardless of what anyone else thinks, the organization's perspective is important knowledge to have. Gives a large clue of what we can expect to see next year I think.

Pffft. You're absolutely right that is their perspective and it's fine, it's just another opinion, and the one that counts...but I can dig up quite a few people getting paid to do this stuff that will argue on that being his BEST position ;)

I mean what else can they say though? Manny is at 3rd, we know Schoop isn't playing SS, so short of lowering his value by saying he's blocked or moving to the OF, it's really all you can do to say we plan on giving him a shot at 2B. (Which they should be).

Not arguing anything you said, just laughing at that being his BEST position (which technically would be DH).

@JeremyMStrain

#77 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,023 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:36 PM

He would never say that they are playing him at 2B now but that they don't think he'll be able to play it well enough in the future to stay there.

#78 Matt

Matt

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:35 PM

Tough to say since most have never seen him. Based on what Tucker, Jeremy, and the national guys say he seems like he should be a good one.

#79 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:59 PM

Homered again last night. Put a charge into this one: http://www.milb.com/...347727&sid=milb

@BSLLukeJackson

#80 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:15 PM

Homered again last night. Put a charge into this one: http://www.milb.com/...347727&sid=milb

That swing man. So pretty.

@JeffLongBP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=