• Please log in to reply
266 replies to this topic

#81 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,339 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:18 AM

AAA season: 41 games, 157 ab's, .261 baa, 7 hr's, 25 rbi, 9 bb's, 32 k's, 6 doubles, .747 OPS

#82 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,339 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:40 AM

Last 10 games: 7 for 40 (.175 baa), 3 hr's, 6 rbi, 1 double, 1 bb, 7 k's

#83 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,339 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:35 PM

Last 10 games: 10 for 42 (.238 baa), 1 hr, 3 rbi, 1 double, 2 bb's, 11 k's

#84 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,339 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:45 AM

Bleacher Report: Why Schoop is being hyped as Orioles next hitting prospect
http://bleacherrepor...itting-prospect

I typically hate all things BR, but this was pretty well done.

#85 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,339 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:23 AM

MASN: Scoping out Schoop's chances at 2nd base
http://www.masnsport...econd-base.html

#86 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,339 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:38 PM

Not a bad debut for Mr. Schoop.

#87 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,542 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:10 AM

Awesome debut for Schoop... a well hit single in his first AB, and a monstrous homer to CF in his 2nd AB. Fantastic. Looked fine out at 2B with the glove too, but didn't have a ton of opportunities in that regard.

#88 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,671 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:56 AM

Very cool to see Schoop have a great debut.

Now the question is -- what the heck happens with 2B next year?

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#89 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,023 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:06 AM

Very cool to see Schoop have a great debut.

Now the question is -- what the heck happens with 2B next year?

My guess is they resign Roberts for cheap and have Flaherty as the utility infielder.  Schoop competes for the 2B job in ST, but likely starts in Norfolk.  But if Roberts struggles at all, then Schoop should be the guy unless he is also struggling down in the minors.

Schoop will have spent 28 days in the majors this season.  172 counts as a full year, so if he's up for 143 or fewer in 2014, then he will be under club control through the 2020 season.  If he's up for 144 or more days, then he'll be a free agent after 2019.  I don't think it's a huge concern, and if he's clearly the best option they should use him as soon as they need him, but it's something to keep in mind. 

There are 183 days in the season next year by my count, so he'd have to stay down for 40 of them.  He could be called up around May 9th if we want to avoid him accruing a full year or service time.  On May 9th the team returns from a road trip for a Friday night home game against the Astros, our 34th game of the 2014 season.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#90 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:15 AM

My guess is they resign Roberts for cheap and have Flaherty as the utility infielder.  Schoop competes for the 2B job in ST, but likely starts in Norfolk.  But if Roberts struggles at all, then Schoop should be the guy unless he is also struggling down in the minors.

Schoop will have spent 28 days in the majors this season.  172 counts as a full year, so if he's up for 143 or fewer in 2014, then he will be under club control through the 2020 season.  If he's up for 144 or more days, then he'll be a free agent after 2019.  I don't think it's a huge concern, and if he's clearly the best option they should use him as soon as they need him, but it's something to keep in mind. 

There are 183 days in the season next year by my count, so he'd have to stay down for 40 of them.  He could be called up around May 9th if we want to avoid him accruing a full year or service time.  On May 9th the team returns from a road trip for a Friday night home game against the Astros, our 34th game of the 2014 season.

I thought service time after 9/1 didn't count?

@JeremyMStrain

#91 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,023 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:51 AM

I thought service time after 9/1 didn't count?

Nope, every day counts.

I think that perhaps used to be the case in some iteration of CBAs past, but each and every day has counted for as long as I've known.

#92 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:41 PM

Nope, every day counts.

I think that perhaps used to be the case in some iteration of CBAs past, but each and every day has counted for as long as I've known.

Pretty sure only appearances count in Schoop's case. I could be wrong.

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

#93 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,023 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:15 PM

Nope, every day counts.

Pretty sure only appearances count in Schoop's case. I could be wrong.

You are wrong. Every day he is up counts as a service day.

#94 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:28 PM

You are wrong. Every day he is up counts as a service day.

https://twitter.com/...733295405072384

@BaltimoreDavey

#95 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,023 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:35 PM

https://twitter.com/...733295405072384

That's about whether a player qualifies for rookie status or not next year, not how many service days he accrues.

Every day on the roster count as a service day.  I am 100% certain of this, it's not an opinion.

#96 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:41 PM

That's about whether a player qualifies for rookie status or not next year, not how many service days he accrues.

Every day on the roster count as a service day.  I am 100% certain of this, it's not an opinion.

My apologies, you're right. Got confused. I suppose that means the Flaherty/?????? 2B platoon will have to be serviceable for an extra month next year. 

@BaltimoreDavey

#97 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,023 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:48 PM

My apologies, you're right. Got confused. I suppose that means the Flaherty/?????? 2B platoon will have to be serviceable for an extra month next year. 

Yeah, it's something like 40 days he'll need to be down next year if we want to avoid him finishing the season still short of a full year of service time.

If he's the best option, or an injury happens and we need him, then I go ahead and promote him without worrying about the service time.  But, I would use that as a factor if I think he is close to neck-and-neck with the alternatives (Flaherty or Roberts, most likely).

#98 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:07 PM

Yeah, it's something like 40 days he'll need to be down next year if we want to avoid him finishing the season still short of a full year of service time.

If he's the best option, or an injury happens and we need him, then I go ahead and promote him without worrying about the service time.  But, I would use that as a factor if I think he is close to neck-and-neck with the alternatives (Flaherty or Roberts, most likely).

If Flaherty hits like he did after June 1st (.270 BA, .800+ OPS) and the Orioles can find someone who can hit lefties well (Ryan Roberts immediately comes to mind), that could be a pretty solid platoon. Of course, if Schoop comes in and tears it up in spring training, Schoop can start at second base on Opening Day. 

@BaltimoreDavey

#99 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:28 PM

From Britt's blog:

Jonathan Schoop has added some weight and really focused on becoming stronger this winter. Schoop, who had a long year that started with the World Baseball Classic and ended with the Arizona Fall League, hit a car in batting practice yesterday and manager Buck Showalter said you could hear the thump. Schoop, the organization’s top infield prospect, is competing for the second base spot this spring.

#100 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:21 PM

Still interesting to see if he can stay at 2b long-term.

I feel like that may be his only way to be a ML regular.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=