266 replies to this topic

#1 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:00 AM

Gotta love that BB rate from Machado. Really impressive for a player as young as he is to have plate discipline that is that good.

Seems like that's the one area where Schoop is lacking. Only about a 60 point split between his average and OBP, and that's been pretty consistent at every level. It'd be nice if he could get that closer to 70, especially if he's only going to be a .270-.280 hitter.

Still, both of these guys are very impressive. Machado obviously is on another level, but Schoop is a very solid prospect in his own right. Would be exciting if these guys are in the infield together in Baltimore in a couple years (Machado obviously probably sooner).

I'll take .280/.340 split all day, even .260/.320, from a 2B that looks like he can potentially slug .450.

#2 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:53 AM

I'll take .280/.340 split all day, even .260/.320, from a 2B that looks like he can potentially slug .450.

Schoop's been young for his levels once he got to the Carolina League, so having to work on pitch ID and plate discipline isn't a surprise nor is it much of a concern. Being 20 years old in Double-A is particularly difficult -- A-ball to AA is typically the biggest jump in the minors. Schoop's biggest issue is probably identifying breaking balls, particularly out of a right handed pitcher's hand, which certainly isn't uncommon. Manny is more advanced with respect to pitch ID and his approach at the plate. Manny is even too patient for his own good at times, letting pitches go by that he could drive just so he can work the count.

I think everyone should be really pleased with these two kids this year, as they've gotten better performance-wise as the season goes along and have made some appropriate adjustments. Schoop posted a .570 OPS in April and looked like he was pushed too aggressively, but he's made adjustments and he's really come on recently, particularly with the power. Now Jon is about a league average hitter in a league full of 24-27 year-olds. Jon has crazy bat speed and really quick wrists and he has a knack for barreling the baseball. I've seen a Schoop BP session...moonshots. Hit a ball in an April BP session in Bowie that might land at some point next week. The power is legit.

And Manny's had a great season considering he started the season as the youngest player in the Eastern League (believe that's still the case)...throughout his brief pro career though, he is rather prone to streakiness. He was in a funk for like a month recently and then had like 10 days worth of 2-4's and 3-4's. Probably not anything to take away from it, but yeah.

Hopefully they keep progressing...I could see Manny getting a taste of Triple-A in the middle of August.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLLukeJackson

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,971 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:16 AM

Has Schoop improved at 2nd at all this year? Any information about how hard he works at his defense?

#4 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,375 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:33 AM

Has Schoop improved at 2nd at all this year? Any information about how hard he works at his defense?

He looked passable but stiff early in the season, the 2nd time I saw him he was at SS. I'm trying to get back out to see him in August after vacation though.
@JeremyMStrain

#5 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:39 PM

He's really good around the bag, needs to work on his reads w/r/t flairs over his head.
@BSLLukeJackson

#6 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:37 AM

He looked passable but stiff early in the season, the 2nd time I saw him he was at SS. I'm trying to get back out to see him in August after vacation though.

What do you think a good comp is for Schoop. It sounds like his defense will never be anything above average. There is definitely power potential here but I'm not sure his BA or OBP will be particularly high at the ML level. Anybody come to mind??? Kelly Johnson?? Gordan Beckham??

#7 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,375 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 08:55 AM

What do you think a good comp is for Schoop. It sounds like his defense will never be anything above average. There is definitely power potential here but I'm not sure his BA or OBP will be particularly high at the ML level. Anybody come to mind??? Kelly Johnson?? Gordan Beckham??

Espinosa from the Nats, Kelly Johnson maybe. Somewhere in that area. I could see like .250-..260 15-20HR .300-.315 OBP -ish.
@JeremyMStrain

#8 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:38 PM

Espinosa from the Nats, Kelly Johnson maybe. Somewhere in that area. I could see like .250-..260 15-20HR .300-.315 OBP -ish.

Yeah I was thinking Espinosa offensively minus the 20+ SB potential. Espo is a good defender though.

BTW...while I would like to have that kind of pop from a 2b, if Johnson or Espo with shaky defense is the comp, I'm more inclined to include him in a deal for Headley if that is what it takes. I'm been kinda flip flopping on that a bit.

#9 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,375 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:44 AM

Yeah I was thinking Espinosa offensively minus the 20+ SB potential. Espo is a good defender though.

BTW...while I would like to have that kind of pop from a 2b, if Johnson or Espo with shaky defense is the comp, I'm more inclined to include him in a deal for Headley if that is what it takes. I'm been kinda flip flopping on that a bit.

I dont think the defense is really shaky. I think he gets a bad rap cause they have moved him around. If not for MM he would still be at SS, and he is pretty steady at 2b just dont think hes got the quickness or range to be a gold glover. Solid enough though i think.
@JeremyMStrain

#10 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,971 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:38 PM

Schoop season: .248 baa, 13 hr's, 48 rbi's, .706 OPS, 33 bb's, 83 k's, 18 doubles, 1 triple.

With the O's promoting Machado, do you think the O's may give Schoop a chance to become the 2nd baseman next Spring?

#11 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,971 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:02 PM

Orioles Nation / Tucker Blair: Jonathan Schoop Scouting Report
http://orioles-natio...ng-report-2012/

#12 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,375 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:06 PM

Schoop season: .248 baa, 13 hr's, 48 rbi's, .706 OPS, 33 bb's, 83 k's, 18 doubles, 1 triple.

With the O's promoting Machado, do you think the O's may give Schoop a chance to become the 2nd baseman next Spring?

I'd bet that is plan b to BRob.
@JeremyMStrain

#13 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:26 AM

I'd bet that is plan b to BRob.

That needs to be plan A with Brob being plan G.

How anyone can think he can come back and give even replacement level production is beyond me.

He will be 35.

He will have averaged 38 games played from 2010-2012.

He will be attempting to play second after having hip surgery. Have you seen what the same surgery has done to ARod's range at third?

Well I hear Linda Ronstadt is looking for a guitar player.

#14 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,375 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:48 AM

That needs to be plan A with Brob being plan G.

How anyone can think he can come back and give even replacement level production is beyond me.

He will be 35.

He will have averaged 38 games played from 2010-2012.

He will be attempting to play second after having hip surgery. Have you seen what the same surgery has done to ARod's range at third?

Because they owe him $10m either way, and with him being an Angelos favorite unfortunately if he thinks he can play they will give him the chance. Short of him walking away from the money, or going on the DL for the season, he will be in the mix.
@JeremyMStrain

#15 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:54 AM

Because they owe him $10m either way, and with him being an Angelos favorite unfortunately if he thinks he can play they will give him the chance. Short of him walking away from the money, or going on the DL for the season, he will be in the mix.

He still can not be plan A. Best case scenario he should be plan D behind Schoop, outside player, Andino/Omar.

He was worth -1 WAR in 17 games this season.

#16 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,375 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:03 AM

He still can not be plan A. Best case scenario he should be plan D behind Schoop, outside player, Andino/Omar.

He was worth -1 WAR in 17 games this season.

I know he SHOULDN'T but I know he will be. He's as untouchable as some of the front office, and unless he himself asks to not play, he's always going to get the first crack at it.
@JeremyMStrain

#17 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:14 AM

I know he SHOULDN'T but I know he will be. He's as untouchable as some of the front office, and unless he himself asks to not play, he's always going to get the first crack at it.

DD traded Nomar and let Pedro walk.

Roberts isn't going to be plan A next year.

#18 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,375 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:20 AM

DD traded Nomar and let Pedro walk.

Roberts isn't going to be plan A next year.

DD is way overruled on this one.
@JeremyMStrain

#19 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:42 AM

DD is way overruled on this one.

Heh, I'm an idiot and you missed it. That was Theo not DD.

Anyway I will agree to disagree.

#20 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:58 PM

Just saw DD on the Rundown on MLB channel.

DD just said (I may be paraphrasing) "A lot of teams like Schoop". What he didn't say was how high he was on Schoop. I have been thinking for a while that DD views Schoop as a trade chip and this interview just reinforced that opinion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=