#1521 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,456 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 05 January 2023 - 11:42 AM

fwiw...I'm glad the RedSox extended Devers.  Personally, I'd like to see the Jays extend Vlad Jr in a similar fashion.

I think it's cool to have major stars competing long-term in your Division as part of the excitement of MLB narratives.

You can market Judge vs Devers vs VladJr vs Wander vs Adley(#2)

• BobPhelan likes this

#1522 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63,510 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 09:11 PM

Story to miss most, possibly all, of the season following elbow surgery.

#1523 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 159,072 posts

Posted 18 June 2023 - 07:44 AM

ESPN: The Japanese Juan Soto': Masataka Yoshida has been a hit

https://www.espn.com...anese-juan-soto

#1524 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 14 September 2023 - 11:32 AM

Chaim Bloom fired https://twitter.com/...358743835382178

#1525 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63,510 posts

Posted 14 September 2023 - 11:52 AM

Chaim Bloom fired https://twitter.com/...358743835382178

Time to clench and hope Elias doesn't bolt for an open Team President job with a team that actually spends money.  Think he could be like Friedman leaving Tampa for the Dodgers.

• weird-O likes this

#1526 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,527 posts

Posted 14 September 2023 - 12:01 PM

Time to clench and hope Elias doesn't bolt for an open Team President job with a team that actually spends money. Think he could be like Friedman leaving Tampa for the Dodgers.

Its gonna happen eventually. But assuming he has a contract here for '24 I dont expect Angelos to allow him out of it. Kinda like Papa did with DD

#1527 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,894 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 September 2023 - 12:06 PM

I don't think Elias is leaving anytime soon. I genuinely think he loves it here and has full control and obviously is from the nearby area. He looks a hell of a lot cooler in that silver suit with the orange tie than he would a traditional navy one and a red tie too. Aesthetics matter to these alpha's. 

I do think trust fund baby would be wise to make him "Chief Baseball Operations Officer" or something along those lines. He's earned it. Promote Sig or Eve to GM.

• BobPhelan and russsnyder like this

#1528 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63,510 posts

Posted 14 September 2023 - 12:07 PM

Its gonna happen eventually. But assuming he has a contract here for '24 I dont expect Angelos to allow him out of it. Kinda like Papa did with DD

Elias made sure they put in his contract that he had total baseball control.  Wouldn't surprised me if he also learned from the Duquette/Toronto debacle and put in writing that he's allowed to leave for a promotion.  Seems like a scenario that he would have anticipated.

Angelos bumping him up here feels pretty plausible, too, and is a good way to avoid losing him.

• TwentyThirtyFive likes this

#1529 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,527 posts

Posted 14 September 2023 - 12:08 PM

Elias made sure they put in his contract that he had total baseball control. Wouldn't surprised me if he also learned from the Duquette/Toronto debacle and put in writing that he's allowed to leave for a promotion. Seems like a scenario that he would have anticipated.

Good point

#1530 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,894 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 September 2023 - 12:10 PM

Elias made sure they put in his contract that he had total baseball control.  Wouldn't surprised me if he also learned from the Duquette/Toronto debacle and put in writing that he's allowed to leave for a promotion.  Seems like a scenario that he would have anticipated.

Angelos bumping him up here feels pretty plausible, too, and is a good way to avoid losing him.

It would seem plausible, if it weren't John Angelos. He'd have to raise ticket prices first. Maybe see if Lou would be willing to chip in too.

#1531 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 14 September 2023 - 12:33 PM

None of us are mind readers but I think there's also a chance Elias is happy here with cheap owners because there's less scrutiny when you can blame your team's shortcomings on the owner vs Boston where a bad FA contract could poorly reflect on his skills as a GM more heavily than being in a job where your ceiling for free agents is Kyle Gibson and Adam Frazier 

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#1532 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 159,072 posts

Posted 14 September 2023 - 12:38 PM

Exactly what will happen imo.  Not just if other teams coming offering, but if they want to retain Sig, and Eve and bump one of them up.

Elias built this team, organization up... I suspect he'll want to continue to be in charge of the organization while they have team control over so much young talent... window wide open for multiple runs. 

#1533 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,527 posts

Posted 14 September 2023 - 12:40 PM

None of us are mind readers but I think there's also a chance Elias is happy here with cheap owners because there's less scrutiny when you can blame your team's shortcomings on the owner vs Boston where a bad FA contract could poorly reflect on his skills as a GM more heavily than being in a job where your ceiling for free agents is Kyle Gibson and Adam Frazier

As Ricker mentioned above, Elias is an alpha. He doesnt care about less scrutiny and flying under the radar. He wants all the potential glory and there is a lot more potential for that in a big market

#1534 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 14 September 2023 - 02:47 PM

As Ricker mentioned above, Elias is an alpha. He doesnt care about less scrutiny and flying under the radar. He wants all the potential glory and there is a lot more potential for that in a big market

Also a possibility. All I know is Billy Beane got to be played Brad Pitt with his zero rings and Brian Cashman didn't with 5 rings, I think being the tragic hero GM could certainly be appealing to some people.  

#1535 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 14 September 2023 - 03:21 PM

Perhaps, but a confident GM resides in a world where he/she is too smart to enter into a bad contract with a FA player. They all think they're infallible, until they make that first big mistake.    

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#1536 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,907 posts

Posted 14 September 2023 - 03:53 PM

The Red Sox are owned by an ownership group (Fenway Sports Group) that is more focused on building its portfolio of sports teams than they are retaining some of the best talent in MLB (Betts, Boegarts). This is a franchise that was recently ranked the #3 most valuable in the sport at $4.5 billion.

Granted, signing Betts and Boegarts might not have had the happiest of endings, but when your goal is to accrue far less expensive, cost-controlled, considerably less talented ballplayers, it makes every move you make that much more costly. 

Not sure the Red Sox job is something Elias or someone of his caliber would be that drawn towards, cuz to this outsider it sorta looks like they’re taking profits generated out of the Boston Red Sox brand and acquiring teams in other leagues (Pittsburgh Penguins, Liverpool, some NASCAR team, and several others). 

#1537 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 15 September 2023 - 06:26 AM

The Red Sox are owned by an ownership group (Fenway Sports Group) that is more focused on building its portfolio of sports teams than they are retaining some of the best talent in MLB (Betts, Boegarts). This is a franchise that was recently ranked the #3 most valuable in the sport at $4.5 billion.

Granted, signing Betts and Boegarts might not have had the happiest of endings, but when your goal is to accrue far less expensive, cost-controlled, considerably less talented ballplayers, it makes every move you make that much more costly. 

Not sure the Red Sox job is something Elias or someone of his caliber would be that drawn towards, cuz to this outsider it sorta looks like they’re taking profits generated out of the Boston Red Sox brand and acquiring teams in other leagues (Pittsburgh Penguins, Liverpool, some NASCAR team, and several others). 

Red Sox payroll might not be where they were under Dombrowski, but they're still spending money.  Their payroll is 3x what the Orioles' is.  And while I agree their portfolio is the #1 focus, Red Sox are definitely the priority when compared to Liverpool.

#1538 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,907 posts

Posted 15 September 2023 - 07:33 AM

Red Sox payroll might not be where they were under Dombrowski, but they're still spending money.  Their payroll is 3x what the Orioles' is.  And while I agree their portfolio is the #1 focus, Red Sox are definitely the priority when compared to Liverpool.

I know it’s hard to look at it objectively as a fan of another team (particularly one owned by Angelos), but the simple fact they’re drawing profits away from the team to fund the purchases of teams in other leagues (on other continents) really changes the math. The fact the O’s have one of the lowest payrolls in the sport doesn’t change that. 

#1539 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,983 posts

Posted 15 September 2023 - 07:50 AM

I know it’s hard to look at it objectively as a fan of another team (particularly one owned by Angelos), but the simple fact they’re drawing profits away from the team to fund the purchases of teams in other leagues (on other continents) really changes the math. The fact the O’s have one of the lowest payrolls in the sport doesn’t change that.

Every owner takes profits. As a fan, it isn’t really my concern or business what the profits are used for, I just care if the amount is reasonable and also leaves the team with reasonable amounts to spend.

#1540 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,907 posts

Posted 15 September 2023 - 08:58 AM

Every owner takes profits. As a fan, it isn’t really my concern or business what the profits are used for, I just care if the amount is reasonable and also leaves the team with reasonable amounts to spend.

On the surface, certainly sounds logical. Of course the owner can make a profit. Otherwise what’s the point? That said, reasonable is a relative term. The Red Sox are the third most profitable franchise in MLB, and 30th in the world. 

Like I said yesterday, when your goal is to move one of the game’s best players because you don’t want to pay his fair market value, you force your GM to get as many cost-controlled players as possible at a fraction of said player’s value. Betts is a franchise icon if not for the Red Sox brand being bigger. It also shines a harsher light on every action / direction Bloom made. Cuz let’s face it, Betts and his 8.2 WAR would have this Red Sox team adding players at TDL and likely making the wild card. 

Ownership changed the math here.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=