• Please log in to reply
689 replies to this topic

#501 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,286 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 07:23 AM

CBS Sports: MLB Prospect Watch: Meet the Rays prospect who could dictate their trade deadline plans

https://www.cbssport...deadline-plans/

#502 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,286 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 05:08 PM

ESPN: Passan: How Wander Franco became MLB's next can't-miss kid
https://www.espn.com...b-next-miss-kid

#503 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 20 June 2019 - 12:40 PM

ESPN: Sources: Rays to explore playing in Montreal\https://www.espn.com...laying-montreal

The Tampa Bay Rays received permission from Major League Baseball's executive council to explore a plan in which they would play early-season home games in the Tampa Bay area and the remainder of the year in Montreal, sources familiar with the situation told ESPN.

#504 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 20 June 2019 - 12:45 PM

Under the plan, the Rays would play in new stadiums in both the Tampa Bay area and Montreal, according to sources. The ability to play games early in the season in Florida would preclude the need for a domed stadium, cutting the cost of a new building.

LOL zero percent chance this happens with taxpayer money. 

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#505 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,638 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 12:56 PM

Yeah that makes zero sense.

I do badly want the Expos back in Montreal, though.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#506 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 20 June 2019 - 01:13 PM

Yeah. They can't get their crap together for a new park--funded however--in ONE city, and they think they can pull off TWO?

@DJ_McCann

#507 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,523 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 June 2019 - 01:17 PM

That sounds like a way to ask their current fans not to give up on them during their pennant run this year, while they find a way to escape town. There's zero chance TB ever gets a new stadium in that region. But they will in Montreal.

#508 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 20 June 2019 - 01:30 PM

If long-term they do end up moving to Montreal, it will be interesting to see what MLB does with the divisions.

Do they keep 2 Canadian teams in the AL East? If not, put Montreal back in the NL East and send one of the "newer" (Nationals, Marlins) teams over to the AL? I would imagine them sending Miami over would make the most logical sense, but you never knew.

#509 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,638 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 01:47 PM

If long-term they do end up moving to Montreal, it will be interesting to see what MLB does with the divisions.

Do they keep 2 Canadian teams in the AL East? If not, put Montreal back in the NL East and send one of the "newer" (Nationals, Marlins) teams over to the AL? I would imagine them sending Miami over would make the most logical sense, but you never knew.

I think it makes the most sense to keep Montreal in the AL East.

That's 18 games a year between the two teams. I think an inter-Canada rivalry would work well. Especially between Ontario and Quebec. All of Canada watches the BJs now, I think the BJs/Expos games would be must watch TV throughout Canada or larges swaths of it.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#510 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 20 June 2019 - 03:01 PM

It'll basically be what they did with the Astros, to have a rivalry with the Rangers.

In the 60s and 70s, it made more sense to have cities/states/regions split between leagues. Now there is far less reason for MLB to care.

@DJ_McCann

#511 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,609 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 20 June 2019 - 04:30 PM

They seem to think that if the Rays' new stadium doesn't need a roof (which they say they won't if they only play there thru June) that it will cost less and thus be more feasible.

Montreal it looks like would build a stadium, although not sure they'd do it for just 40 home games a year.

Honestly, pay whatever St. Pete wants to void the lease and get the hell out of there.  It's a disgrace that they have to play in that dump. 

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#512 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 06:35 PM

They just need to quit Tampa Bay cold turkey and move to Montreal.

#513 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 June 2019 - 02:22 PM

People hate the word luck but...

https://twitter.com/...7411704832?s=21
  • Mackus likes this

#514 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,960 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 02:35 PM

BABIP, LOB%, and HR/FB all dramatically different between the seasons, and those are the things that really identify lots of areas where a pitcher could be said to be getting lucky or unlucky.

240 BABIP last year 360 this year (300 is about league average)

88% LOB% last season 67% this season (73% is about league average)

10.7% HR/FB last season 17.7% this season (12.5% is about league average, but it's way up this year)

#515 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,286 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 07:40 AM

ESPN: How the Rays have hung in there -- and why they can keep it up
https://www.espn.com...ere-why-keep-up

#516 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,286 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 02:16 PM

The Ringer: The Tampa Bay Rays Are Changing Baseball. Can They Change How Fans Feel About the Derided Trop?

#517 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,638 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 06:20 PM

The Ringer: The Tampa Bay Rays Are Changing Baseball. Can They Change How Fans Feel About the Derided Trop?

It was a good article but geography, the quality of the stadium and transient indifference are three huge factors for that organization to overcome. I wish them luck but hope Montreal gets a team back during my lifetime.

#518 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,286 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 01:30 PM

CBS Sports: Rays sign Japanese outfielder Yoshitomo Tsutsugo to two-year deal, per report
https://www.cbssport...eal-per-report/

#519 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,750 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 14 December 2019 - 09:40 PM

CBS Sports: Rays sign Japanese outfielder Yoshitomo Tsutsugo to two-year deal, per report
https://www.cbssport...eal-per-report/

Actually an interesting signing.  They were working the Jim Thome swing comps.

#520 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 09 January 2020 - 07:56 PM

Rays get Jose Martinez, Randy Arozarena, and a comp round A pick from the Cardinals.

They gave up Matthew Liberatore, Edgardo Rodriguez, and comp round B pick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=