• Please log in to reply
1429 replies to this topic

#61 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,289 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:59 AM

Davis was 2 for 4, and has hits in 3 of his last 4 games. He has struck-out at-least once in 9 straight games.

He cost the O's two more runs last night, when he failed to come-up cleanly with the grounder from Getz, which should have been an inning-ending dp. That allowed Quintero to bat, and knock in the two runs with his single.

#62 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,289 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:46 PM

With his 3 for 4 today, Davis leaves KC with back-to-back multi-hit games. Good to see, hopefully now out of that funk.

#63 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,289 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:56 PM

Following a productive road trip, Davis homered for the first time since May 1st tonight.

#64 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:18 PM

I realize that Davis' numbers are not too bad and he did have a homer and another solid hit tonight BUT he looks really bad to me. I can't believe pitchers even throw him strikes. Just keep throwing that down and in curveball that's off the plate. He swings (waves) at it every time. He may still surprise me, as he did for a week earlier in the season, but he looks really, really bad to me.

#65 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:24 PM

I realize that Davis' numbers are not too bad and he did have a homer and another solid hit tonight BUT he looks really bad to me. I can't believe pitchers even throw him strikes. Just keep throwing that down and in curveball that's off the plate. He swings (waves) at it every time. He may still surprise me, as he did for a week earlier in the season, but he looks really, really bad to me.

I called him a BUM a week ago. I stand by that comment.

#66 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,289 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:40 PM

Davis with his 7th homer of the year tonight. Had another hit, and 3 rbi.

#67 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:09 PM

I'm still going to say that he ends up having a solid season by the end of the year if he stays healthy. He's far from perfect, but he fights and despite the streaks, I think the high will outweigh the low.
@JeremyMStrain

#68 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,289 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:11 PM

I'm still going to say that he ends up having a solid season by the end of the year if he stays healthy. He's far from perfect, but he fights and despite the streaks, I think the high will outweigh the low.

He is a guy that is going to look horrible when he is going bad, but I was pretty pleased that he came out of that slump without it becoming overly prolonged.

#69 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:19 PM

He is a guy that is going to look horrible when he is going bad, but I was pretty pleased that he came out of that slump without it becoming overly prolonged.

Yeah I think that has always been a problem for him, he was looking over his shoulder all the time, so when he slumped he never got a chance to work himself out of it, he just got benched. Just giving it to him and say, here, this job is yours, run with it. See what he does. It's not like we have better options. He'll give you .250 and 25 HR if healthy easy, which we could use anywhere in the lineup.
@JeremyMStrain

#70 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,289 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:06 AM

Another 2 for 4 yesterday, with another HR.

Davis is now batting .305, with 7 doubles, 8 hr's, and 21 rbi. His OPS is up to .845 (SLG .510).

He has hits in 7 of his last 10 games. If he could start to close the gap on his walk to k ratio, you'd be pretty ecstatic about what he was giving you. (Currently has 7 bb's, vs 42 k's.)

#71 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:25 PM

I'll give credit to Davis. He's done far better than I thought. He's even been respectable against lefties. Here are his splits against lefties and righties if anyone is interested:

Lefties: .263 BA/.263 OBP/.395 SLG/.658 OPS. 10 hits (7 singles, 2 doubles, 1 HR) in 38 at bats.
Righties: .319 BA/.362 OBP/.552 SLG/.914 OPS. 37 hits (24 singles, 6 doubles, 7 HR) in 116 at bats. 7 walks, 2 HBP.

If we could get a guy who can hit lefties, he'd be an ideal platoon guy.

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

#72 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:51 PM

http://www.entrepren.../blog-post.html
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#73 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:38 PM

He's fine as long as he is only DHing against RHP. Listen, I've probably gone overboard with my criticism of Davis. It's not as much him as it is the situation of 4 similar player(Davis, Reynolds, Betemit, Johnson)that burns me up. Ideally, we have better 1b and 3b options and he is platooning with Reynolds as our DH. UNforunately, he has stone hands at 1b and his friends Reynolds and Betemit are just as bad when they are in the field. It's infuriating watching these guys butchering relatively routine plays. I have no tolerance for defense this poor. I think I could probably hack one of them in the field 3 or 4 days a week but two of them almost every day makes me want to pull my hair out.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#74 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,289 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:51 PM

After singling to begin the 3rd, Davis advanced to 2nd on Reynolds' walk. He would get picked off at 2nd, which really altered the inning for the O's. The bottom of the 3rd saw another significant Davis mistake. Bautista grounded to Hardy, and should have been out to begin the inning. Davis did not come up with the throw, and was charged with an error. Encarnacion would follow with a 2 run homer.

This is probably the 4th or 5th time we have seen Davis not come up with a ball at 1st, that he should have had.

#75 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:47 PM

Davis is having a big game as he's 3-4 with a HR.

His slash line is up to .317/.353/.534

Between him, Johnson, Betemit, and Reynolds, I don't think 1B is a position that looks like it will need upgrading if the O's are in contention in another 4-8 weeks.

#76 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:06 PM

He did it vs left handed pitching tonight as well.

#77 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:17 PM

Davis is having a big game as he's 3-4 with a HR.

His slash line is up to .317/.353/.534

Between him, Johnson, Betemit, and Reynolds, I don't think 1B is a position that looks like it will need upgrading if the O's are in contention in another 4-8 weeks.

Concentrate on LF and 3rd.

#78 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:55 PM

Davis really has had an excellent first 2 months offensively. I swear, if I had to guess his average by only watching his at bats, I'd put him around .250. Not sure what it is. Perhaps it's because whenever he isn't getting a hit, he's hitting weak grounders or striking out. You have some guys that seem to hit the ball hard every time and Davis doesn't seem like one of them to me. None of that matters though, because he's got the results to back it all up.

Very pleased with his production at the plate so far. Wouldn't mind him suring things up a bit at 1st, though.

@AdamWolff

#79 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:46 PM

Concentrate on LF and 3rd.

Yes, by far the big area needs right now. 1b and DH we are fine. I wish the defense is were a little better at 1b but it'll do. We have to improve 3b and LF, they are pretty big holes right now, especially LF.

#80 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:02 PM

Assuming we might have one in us, would you rather sign Greinke/Hamels or Hamilton for LF?

This is assuming we'd play Manny or Hardy at 3B.
@JeremyMStrain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=