1429 replies to this topic

#81 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:12 PM

Assuming we might have one in us, would you rather sign Greinke/Hamels or Hamilton for LF?

This is assuming we'd play Manny or Hardy at 3B.

Greinke/Hamels. Listen, our SP isn't that good and other than Bundy I don't see a lot of hope in the minors or even the relatively young guys we have up right now.

I think Matusz is at best a low end #2 but probably no better than a #3. Chen the same. Hammell could be a legit #2 but the jury is still out a bit and he's a guy we would have to re-sign. The minors are relatively bare at least at the upper levels. I mean other than Bundy is there really another guy that has the potential to be a #2 and be in the rotation on say Opening Day 2014. Give me an anchor for this staff. I'll manage somehow in LF with what could be solid internal options in Reimold, Hoes,, Avery or a lower priced FA.

#82 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:33 PM

I'd probably go with Greinke because Hamilton will be too much of a risk due to his age, addiction issues, and injury problems, and Hamels likely will cost more since he's proven in a big market and in the postseason where Zach wouldn't likely be an option for the big market teams. Plus, Greinke has had bad luck of late, which should lower his cost.

#83 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,992 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:02 AM

Davis really doesn't pass the eye test a lot of the time, but then you look at his overall numbers and they are right where you'd want them to be.

I still don't know if he's a long term solution (or even next year) mainly because his .317 BA and .353 OBP seem very unlikely to continue at acceptable levels. If he is only going to his .275, then his OBP is likely only going to be in the .310-.320 range, which is terrible and on the verge of being unacceptable, even if he's hitting 25 HRs.

For certain he should continue to get regular playing time this year. Just have to hope that he can start drawing a few more walks, and perhaps keep his average up above where I would expect it to be. The power is there, for sure. I don't really care about the strikeouts, aside from thinking they are an indicator that his average is unsustainable.

The defense, on the other hand... Really needs to improve. He had a very good reputation for defense in Texas, but he's having major issues simply catching the ball right now, yet alone scooping poor throws and fielding grounders.

#84 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:16 AM

OPS up to .881. 15 multi-hit games, including six 3 hit games.

He batted .310 in April, and is batting .319 in May. The May average is impressive, because it also featured a significant slump.

Agree with Mackus' analysis that Davis' obp is tied to his average, and his average figures to come down.
I think he ultimately finishes in that .750 to .800 OPS range, with 25+ homers.

I'll take that, especially with his contract. Also agree with Mackus that the defense is concerning. The MASN announcers have made the point of mentioning numerous times that Davis is often out on the field early taking early bp. I'd like to hear reports of him working on his defense.

#85 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:11 AM

Its funny but UZR says Davis is a little above average at first. His defensive reputation, from scouts, has been that he is good over there.

#86 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:13 AM

I'd probably go with Greinke because Hamilton will be too much of a risk due to his age, addiction issues, and injury problems, and Hamels likely will cost more since he's proven in a big market and in the postseason where Zach wouldn't likely be an option for the big market teams. Plus, Greinke has had bad luck of late, which should lower his cost.

I think since Greinke is likely to reject "big markets" like NY and Boston, this could be a huge plus for us.
@levineps

#87 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:32 AM

Chris Davis is an enigma. The plate discipline is awful. He looks awful in many AB's. However, he's putting up good numbers and looks really good at times. I didn't give him much of a chance to be a long term piece coming into the season and I'm still not sure what to make of this guy. His defense overall has been okay. His biggest weakness just seems to be holding onto routine throws.

As for the pitching, the O's may have had it backwards. Grow the arms hasn't worked otu well. Sure, a team like Oakland struck gold but it seems like most young starters have a long learning curve. Maybe grow the hitters and buy/trade for the pitchers isn't such an awful idea after all. Our two best pitchers so far were bought (Chen) and traded for (Hammel). Maybe Wada comes back healthy next year as well. Buying Greinke or Hamels might make sense.

#88 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,992 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:45 AM

As for the pitching, the O's may have had it backwards. Grow the arms hasn't worked otu well. Sure, a team like Oakland struck gold but it seems like most young starters have a long learning curve. Maybe grow the hitters and buy/trade for the pitchers isn't such an awful idea after all. Our two best pitchers so far were bought (Chen) and traded for (Hammel). Maybe Wada comes back healthy next year as well. Buying Greinke or Hamels might make sense.

I think the "grow the arms" thing really just meant "avoid high prices for FA pitchers". Trading is essentially growing, as you've used pieces you've grown to acquire them. And finding hidden gems or undervalued pitchers in FA or trade also seems more in line with the scouting and development parts of the game than simply writing the biggest check for someone who has already proven they are good.

Now, you can still pay top dollar if need be for FA pitching, you just better be damn sure that the arm you buy will be able to put you over the top in the early years of the deal, because it's about a 90% certainty that the deal will look ugly by the end of it.

#89 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:59 AM

I think the "grow the arms" thing really just meant "avoid high prices for FA pitchers". Trading is essentially growing, as you've used pieces you've grown to acquire them. And finding hidden gems or undervalued pitchers in FA or trade also seems more in line with the scouting and development parts of the game than simply writing the biggest check for someone who has already proven they are good.

Now, you can still pay top dollar if need be for FA pitching, you just better be damn sure that the arm you buy will be able to put you over the top in the early years of the deal, because it's about a 90% certainty that the deal will look ugly by the end of it.

I agree with you on avoid high prices, but I would also add about "growing" the arms, it was having them under team control. If you are trading them and they are under team control for many years, it's the same principle. Just easier to develop your own and doesn't cost pieces like trades do.
@levineps

#90 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:21 PM

So far tonight (it is the 8th inning), Davis has 2 hits, including his 10th homer.

#91 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:57 PM

He K's a lot and when he makes contact it is often weak contact. People are right, he doesn;t pass the eye test but he's finding a way to put up good numbers so it is what it is. I guess my point is that even if Davis keeps up this pace for the whole season I think a lot of people are going to be questioning him going into next year as far as being a long term player for us. Just watching you have to think regression is inevitable.

#92 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:13 PM

He K's a lot and when he makes contact it is often weak contact. People are right, he doesn;t pass the eye test but he's finding a way to put up good numbers so it is what it is. I guess my point is that even if Davis keeps up this pace for the whole season I think a lot of people are going to be questioning him going into next year as far as being a long term player for us. Just watching you have to think regression is inevitable.

I agree some regression is inevitable, but I don't think I agree about his contact often being weak. He hits a lot of line drives. He is also strong enough to fight balls off that fall in, just because he makes contact.

If he finishes the year with his OPS at or above .750, with 20-25 homers... I agree, plenty of people will question him (rightfully) about being a long-term player. He'd be a player you would be looking to improve on if possible.

I think he is going to remain a useful player. A guy that can help the roster, and really like as long as he is cheap. The limitations to his game, will keep you from ever loving him as player though.

#93 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:19 PM

Useful and a player that can help the roster I will buy. Heck, maybe even full time DH with an occasional 1b start here and there. We will see. I feel like I can be too hard on Davis for whatever reason. I don't know I just can't buy in. It all feels fluky, more fluky than it probably should after a strong 2+ months.

#94 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:27 PM

This is my belated welcome to Trea. :lol:

Davis: .882
Teixeira: .795
Pujols: .757
Gonzalez: .724

Now I don't expect this to continue and Davis' value is hurt by his D, but still, this is great!
  • Mike B likes this

#95 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:34 PM

And all he cost us was a Koji!

@AdamWolff

#96 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:40 PM

I was just thinking that this is th quietest 850+ OPS season in recent memory.

I also don't expect it to continue at this rate but agan, this is why you had to give him a chance to prove himself.

I just wish Reimold was healthy to do the same thing.

#97 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:45 PM

When we were whining over the off-season about wanting Fielder, Buck was pretty insistent that we give Davis a chance. Who knows if he truly wanted to give him a chance or if he would have rather have had Fielder, but I believe his words were something like 'when we're looking for a rose, we don't want to overlook any orchids'.
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#98 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,243 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:53 PM

I've been saying it for weeks, but I still don't know how Davis is doing it. He's been batting around .300 for a good few weeks now, and like SG said, it's just a quietly productive year so far for Davis.

#99 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,610 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:57 PM

He always had potential, but Texas, as a contender, didn't need to waste a spot on waiting for him and decided to upgrade their pen for a pennant run.

I'm glad we had the patience to wait for him and I hope that he can maintain close to this pace.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#100 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:25 PM

Chris Davis home run party from his time in Texas. http://soundcloud.co... ... arty-intro
@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=