1429 replies to this topic

#41 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:36 AM

I think Davis should be tried at 3B, regardless of what he prepared to do. Here's why:

a) we have a problem at 3B right now - it's not just a question of cultivating future talent, we have no one besides Davis who can do an adequate job there.

b) the position isn't new to him. He's played hundreds of games at 3B in the minors as well as 69 in the majors.

c) his bat is far more valuable to us as a 3B

I don't think "fair" is an issue here - it happens all the time that a player who expected all winter to be at Position A is told he will be at Position B.

I'd still be hesitant to make that move, but the better offensive start that Davis' gets off to, the easier it would be to consider moving him across the diamond. If he was struggling with the bat, I wouldn't him to also have to focus on switching positions.

The official reason given for not sticking with the Davis @ 3B experiment from last season was his shoulder won't be able to withstand playing there all year. I don't know how honest that explanation is, but it has to be given some credence.

I would stick with Reynolds at 3B for a little bit longer, but if we decide to try something new over there, I'd be fine with giving Davis a shot if they think he can hold up physically.

#42 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationZichron Yaakov, Israel

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:39 AM

I'm also for playing him at 3B, maybe just sporadically at first, then more and more if he handles it well.

Between Reynolds and Betemit (or maybe he should be Needsanewmitt), we're going to lose a lot of games defensively, so we have to plug that hole, and quick.

We have plenty of options at 1B. We have to fix 3B ASAP.

"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax..."

-Walter Sobchak

#43 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:05 PM

3 homers now for Davis.

#44 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:06 AM

There was no doubt about his HR tonight, to right center. It was completely blasted and the Toronto OF's didn't even move except to watch it leave the stadium.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#45 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:39 PM

So far tonight, Davis is 2 for 3, with 3 rbi. He is batting .303. He entered the game with a .852 OPS. Have to be happy with what he has provided so far this year.

#46 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:45 PM

So far tonight, Davis is 2 for 3, with 3 rbi. He is batting .303. He entered the game with a .852 OPS. Have to be happy with what he has provided so far this year.

Now 3 for 4 tonight, with his 4th hr, and 4 rbi.

#47 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:06 AM

Now 3 for 4 tonight, with his 4th hr, and 4 rbi.

A home run onto Eutaw Street.

#48 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:23 AM

He is still a long shot but he is also showing why it was important to give him a chance and not sign vets that aren't very good or who have zero long term upside for a non contender.

#49 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:23 AM

Whether Davis is our long-term (or at least short-term) answer or not is still under review, but it was/is important that when a team is not expected to contend, it gives opportunities to players to either grab them or to swing and miss.

At this juncture, Davis is doing well and what he can to impress. Good for him, and good for the O's.

#50 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:49 AM

With his 3 hits last night, including his 5th homer, Davis now has a 1.005 OPS. His ISO is .293. For his career, he has a swinging strike % of 17. In '12, it is currently 13.7.

It will average out as his innings increase, but currently (over 179 ip) his UZR/150 at 1st is 8.8.

At some point, his bat will cool off a bit, and he will go through struggles. The league will make adjustments. When that happens, I hope people will remember what Davis is capable of when he is going well, and give him the time to work out of that slump. Really need to give him a full season to evaluate what you have.

It sure feels like he is going to run into 25+ homers this year. If he finishes with 20+, and that OPS over .750; you would have to feel good about that.

#51 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:00 AM

With his 3 hits last night, including his 5th homer, Davis now has a 1.005 OPS. His ISO is .293. For his career, he has a swinging strike % of 17. In '12, it is currently 13.7.

It will average out as his innings increase, but currently (over 179 ip) his UZR/150 at 1st is 8.8.

At some point, his bat will cool off a bit, and he will go through struggles. The league will make adjustments. When that happens, I hope people will remember what Davis is capable of when he is going well, and give him the time to work out of that slump. Really need to give him a full season to evaluate what you have.

It sure feels like he is going to run into 25+ homers this year. If he finishes with 20+, and that OPS over .750; you would have to feel good about that.

I would need the OPS to be 800ish to feel good about it especially since his OBP will likely be low.

A 755 OPS is below average at first even in this depressed run environment.

His BABIP is 377 but his LD% is very high. His HR/FB% is high and probably a little flukey but you expect that number to be high with him.

His contact rate is high as well.

#52 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:03 AM

A 755 OPS is below average at first even in this depressed run environment.

What is league average production for a 1st baseman? If he finishes slightly below average overall, but is considerably cheaper than the average 1st baseman, that has to be part of the evaluation.

#53 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:08 AM

What is league average production for a 1st baseman? If he finishes slightly below average overall, but is considerably cheaper than the average 1st baseman, that has to be part of the evaluation.

Last year, the average team got an 800 OPS out of first base...individually, it was about a 792 OPS.

Yes, his salary would be cheap and his defense could still make him an overall league average first baseman but still, we need more offense than a 750 OPS that is being driven by slugging %.

#54 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:38 AM

As awful as Davis looked last year and even this spring, he looks that good right now. Except for an abysmal AB in game 1 vs. the Yanks in the 7th, he's been locked in for about 7-10 days now. He's more selective and the swing just seems better. We don't need Davis to be an average 1B. We need him to be what he is right now, a presence, because guys like Jones and Markakis are not. I said preseason that the offense depended on Davis and Reimold. Without their production, we are average at best. If they reach their potential, this offense could be something.

#55 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:00 PM

As awful as Davis looked last year and even this spring, he looks that good right now. Except for an abysmal AB in game 1 vs. the Yanks in the 7th, he's been locked in for about 7-10 days now. He's more selective and the swing just seems better. We don't need Davis to be an average 1B. We need him to be what he is right now, a presence, because guys like Jones and Markakis are not. I said preseason that the offense depended on Davis and Reimold. Without their production, we are average at best. If they reach their potential, this offense could be something.

Agreed about Davis. He's been better than the most optimistic of folks thought, and way better than I thought he would be. Hopefully he can keep this up, he looks really good at the plate. Could use a few more walks, but those will come naturally if he keeps hitting for this kind of power.

But, if Jones is not a "presence", then what do you mean by "presence"? Davis is at 333/378/627. Jones is at 326/360/600. I agree Markakis is no longer a power threat, unless he dramatically turns things around. His ISO is below league average, and has been since 2010, not at all what you want out of your RF making $15M per year. He's basically turned himself into a slap hitter, an incredibly disappointing development given where he was after his first 3 years.

#56 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:13 PM

Agreed about Davis. He's been better than the most optimistic of folks thought, and way better than I thought he would be. Hopefully he can keep this up, he looks really good at the plate. Could use a few more walks, but those will come naturally if he keeps hitting for this kind of power.

But, if Jones is not a "presence", then what do you mean by "presence"? Davis is at 333/378/627. Jones is at 326/360/600. I agree Markakis is no longer a power threat, unless he dramatically turns things around. His ISO is below league average, and has been since 2010, not at all what you want out of your RF making $15M per year. He's basically turned himself into a slap hitter, an incredibly disappointing development given where he was after his first 3 years.

By presence, I'm talking about the kind of hitter that puts a little fear into a pitcher. As good as Jones has been so far, I still don't see him as that kind of hitter. Davis can be, and Reimold possibly.

#57 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:34 PM

He is still a long shot but he is also showing why it was important to give him a chance and not sign vets that aren't very good or who have zero long term upside for a non contender.

"like"
@JeremyMStrain

#58 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:11 PM

It seems to me Adam Lind is a pretty good comparison here.

#59 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:57 PM

Davis has been struggling, his 2 out single in the 7th set up the homer from Johnson.

#60 Guest_Oriole4Life_*

Guest_Oriole4Life_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:06 AM

I don't pay much attention to any of Chris' numbers. I want to see what he is looking like come September. I am more concerned about his fielding, but he played decent last night. He is cheap, has some tools and might become a Cy Young award winner (j/k). Until he gets extended playing time, we don't know what we have. I don't think he'll be a superstar and may end being a left-handed version of Mark Reynolds if he doesn't keep an eye on his Ks and fielding. Then there is somewhere in the middle and I'd be happy with that. I like him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=