#21 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:44 PM

Davis might be Carlos Pena....or Sam Horn.

If the Orioles could get Sam Horn's production from 1990 and '91 (essentially a full season between the two) of 37 homers and a .817 OPS from Davis, which considering Horn's strikeout rate would make Davis a mirror to Reynolds, I would be perfectly happy. Now, of course, Horn did nothing else in his career outside of a couple great months as a rookie with the Sox, so it would make next year very interesting from that perspective, too.

Reynolds atleast walks, Davis doesn't. So in theory, his homeruns would need to be significantly greater for him to be equivalent.
@levineps

#22 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:55 PM

I think he does better than most think. 27 HR's, .775 OPS. Sort of Luke Scott type stuff.

Anywhere around this level, and the offense figures to be above average as a whole.

#23 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:07 AM

MLB Dirt / Michael Schwartze: [url]http://mlbdirt.com/2...tions-for-2012/[/url

9. Chris Davis will hit over 25 homeruns]"Davis was such a highly touted prospect and everyone saw a bright future ahead of him but the slugger just has not been able to figure it out yet at the big league level. The Orioles really having nothing to lose this year and as a result, Chris Davis should be the opening day first baseman. I think we will finally see him breakout and hit some homeruns. The average and K% will still be scary but I think the power will come this year. It will be like having two Mark Reynolds in the same lineup."[/i]

#24 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:31 AM

If he gets 550 at bats I say over on the homers, a little under on the OPS.

#25 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:33 AM

Camden Depot: Is Davis the next Eric Karros?
http://camdendepot.b...hris-davis.html

#26 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:24 PM

Warehouse Worthy: Predicting a breakout season for Chris Davis
http://warehousewort...-for-chris.html

#27 dpsmith22

dpsmith22
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:25 PM

I think Davis's injuries and the fact that the league figured him out, has hurt his real upside potential.

However, his raw power is unquestionable.

He is certainly capable of putting up some big power numbers.

My guess IF he gets 400ab's.

.258/16/56 - Which is better than we have been getting from that position.
@dpsmith22

#28 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:50 PM

If he gets 550 ABs, I don't think there's anyway he doesn't hit 20+ HRs. Now, his other numbers might be terrible, who knows.

If he gets 550 at bats though, I'm going to assume he's producing on at least a decent level, so the other numbers should be okay. I'll go OVER.

@AdamWolff

#29 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:10 PM

Davis with a bomb today.

#30 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:35 AM

CSN Baltimore: Davis is Showalters's guy at 1st (video)
http://www.csnbaltim...NVLxwPKz_UPZe13

#31 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:03 AM

As I mentioned in the Reynolds thread, I do not think it would be fair to ask Davis to move back to 3rd. He spent all Winter, and all Spring preparing to play 1st. He has enough on his plate, worrying about showing he can produce offensively consistently in the Majors. Whatever you do with Reynolds, leave Davis alone at 1st.

#32 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:30 PM

Happy to see Davis get his first HR today. That should help him relax a bit.

#33 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:59 AM

Nice series for Davis. 5 hits, 3 xbh's, and his first walk yesterday.

#34 NCRaven

NCRaven
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:06 PM

Installing Davis at 1B as the regular is one of Duq's and Buck's better moves. We have to find out if the guy who destroyed minor league pitching can come close to that with regular playing time in the majors. He never got an extended look in Texas and there is no reason for us not to give it to him here. He might not be the answer, but, as with Reimold, it's time to find out. So far, I'm pleased with both of them.

#35 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:17 PM

Installing Davis at 1B as the regular is one of Duq's and Buck's better moves. We have to find out if the guy who destroyed minor league pitching can come close to that with regular playing time in the majors. He never got an extended look in Texas and there is no reason for us not to give it to him here. He might not be the answer, but, as with Reimold, it's time to find out. So far, I'm pleased with both of them.

He has to be given a chance...He should have around 200 at bats by June. That will be a decent barometer, coupled with everything else he has done in his career, to get an idea of where he stands in the organization.

But you are right...he absolutely has to be able to get those at bats and be given the opportunity. He could be our Carlos Pena or David Ortiz..you just don't know.

#36 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:44 PM

Davis with a 3/5 night, picking up his 4th double of the year.

Glad to see him continue on this hot streak and hitting the ball hard. His line is up to .387/.406/.1019

#37 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:47 PM

Davis with a 3/5 night, picking up his 4th double of the year.

Glad to see him continue on this hit streak and hitting the ball hard. His line is up to .387/.406/.1019

Each of the 3 hits tonight were nice. 2 line drive singles (one the opposite way), and basically a flick of the wrist for a double to the wall (also opposite field).

#38 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:05 AM

Each of the 3 hits tonight were nice. 2 line drive singles (one the opposite way), and basically a flick of the wrist for a double to the wall (also opposite field).

That's exactly what I want to see out of Davis. Him going to the opposite field (and showing power) is crucial to his success.

I saw the shoddy ESPN video of his double - looked like he just missed a HR.

#39 GlennGulliver

GlennGulliver
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:17 AM

As I mentioned in the Reynolds thread, I do not think it would be fair to ask Davis to move back to 3rd. He spent all Winter, and all Spring preparing to play 1st. He has enough on his plate, worrying about showing he can produce offensively consistently in the Majors. Whatever you do with Reynolds, leave Davis alone at 1st.

I think Davis should be tried at 3B, regardless of what he prepared to do. Here's why:

a) we have a problem at 3B right now - it's not just a question of cultivating future talent, we have no one besides Davis who can do an adequate job there.

b) the position isn't new to him. He's played hundreds of games at 3B in the minors as well as 69 in the majors.

c) his bat is far more valuable to us as a 3B

I don't think "fair" is an issue here - it happens all the time that a player who expected all winter to be at Position A is told he will be at Position B.

#40 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:32 AM

I think Davis should be tried at 3B, regardless of what he prepared to do. Here's why:

a) we have a problem at 3B right now - it's not just a question of cultivating future talent, we have no one besides Davis who can do an adequate job there.

b) the position isn't new to him. He's played hundreds of games at 3B in the minors as well as 69 in the majors.

c) his bat is far more valuable to us as a 3B

I don't think "fair" is an issue here - it happens all the time that a player who expected all winter to be at Position A is told he will be at Position B.

I'd still be hesitant to make that move, but the better offensive start that Davis' gets off to, the easier it would be to consider moving him across the diamond. If he was struggling with the bat, I wouldn't him to also have to focus on switching positions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=