4269 replies to this topic

#4261 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,096 posts

Posted 26 February 2024 - 09:24 AM

I watched Triple Frontier last night. What an odd movie. It felt like one of those late 90's action movies dumped in February. The actors have decent chemistry but the script is strangely weak considering the people behind it and the movie had very little suspense or tension. There were a few decent moments, but everything happened kind of matter-of-factly. And it ended with a "really?"

I've been reading about this movie being in development for years. It was written by Mark Boal and was going to be directed by Katheryn Bigelow of the Hurt Locker and Zero Dark Thirty, two of some of the best movies of the new millennium. It was going to star Will Smith or Tom Hanks when they still had clout. It had a real sense of place, in the crime-ridden jungles of Brazil, Paraguay and Argentina. But this movie has none of that. The script is dumb. The pacing is strange.

It's one of those "what could have been" kinda movies. Instead it feels more like Proof of Life.

Rewatched it again last night. I think I liked it more the second time around. Especially the first 2/3 of the movie. The movie does loose steam in the final third and ends with a whimper. Still, it's one of the better Netflix movies but that ain't saying much.

Cast is great though. I think Affleck was awesome in this.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#4262 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,096 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 11:07 AM

I watched Marathon Man for the first time last night. Pretty good movie. Hoffman and Olivier were great in it. God I love 70s movies.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#4263 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,876 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 25 April 2024 - 07:46 AM

Don't know what the movie is about, but damn it's great seeing Jackman in the yellow and blue.

#4264 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,096 posts

Posted 25 April 2024 - 09:16 AM

Don't know what the movie is about, but damn it's great seeing Jackman in the yellow and blue.

I've sworn off Marvel movies after Endgame but Deadpool & Wolverine does look good. And the Deadpool movies have always done their own thing.

• Mashed Potatoes likes this

#4265 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,096 posts

Posted 05 June 2024 - 08:23 AM

Yeah they're making another Alien movie. And yeah the trailer is awesome.

#4266 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,096 posts

Posted 08 July 2024 - 09:08 AM

So The First Omen was actually pretty great! Didn't see that coming! It's a slow burn for the first hour or so but there are some really disturbing scenes that are pretty shocking and an incredible bit of acting in the final act. I was really impressed.

#4267 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,876 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 16 July 2024 - 01:56 PM

Took the whole fam to see Inside Out 2 last week. Not as good as the first but still a fun flick. Shout out to pouchy!

#4268 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,096 posts

Posted 16 July 2024 - 06:53 PM

Just got back from seeing Longlegs. Pretty solid...definitely has a creepy and suspenseful tone. Nicholas Cage creates a horror villain for the ages. But despite good performances, good script, good direction...I couldn't help but feel a little let down by it. 

It loses some momentum toward the end and the twist is kind of a letdown and not all that surprising. Still, worth checking out. 

And before you do, check out the director's first film, The Blackcoat's Daughter. It's very similar in tone and in some ways I think is the better film.

#4269 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,115 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 17 July 2024 - 10:28 AM

Seeing Longlegs likely today and Fly Me to the Moon tomorrow

I usually do a movie or two during the days after the All Star Break since there is nothing sports-related on.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#4270 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 22 July 2024 - 11:40 AM

I had no idea that Everybody Wants Some! was a baseball movie.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=