#4241 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 08 November 2023 - 08:41 AM

It really is. I just watched it 2 more times recently. Once by myself and another time with one of my kids.

There is just so much packed into it to enjoy. I'm not sure right now though which one I like more. I think Into is the "better" movie but I enjoy "across" more if that makes sense.

It does. I'll try to watch both again ASAP and then I'll revisit this.

#4242 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,977 posts

Posted 08 November 2023 - 09:34 AM

Almost a month later this thing might actually get done.

I saw one theory that the studios knew that once the writers strike ended, it would take a month or two before anything could go into production, so they haven't been very motivated to settle with the actors until now.

#4243 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 18 November 2023 - 08:47 PM

I saw The Hurt Locker was leaving Max soon and checked it out.  Really good war movie, I enjoyed it a lot.  I believe it's what kick-started Jeremy Renner and Anthony Mackie, and you can see why.

#4244 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 19 November 2023 - 10:50 AM

I saw The Hurt Locker was leaving Max soon and checked it out. Really good war movie, I enjoyed it a lot. I believe it's what kick-started Jeremy Renner and Anthony Mackie, and you can see why.

Ummm…National Lampoon Senior Trip kick started Jeremy Renner.
@BSLMikeRandall

#4245 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,676 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 09:17 AM

I watched Cop Shop on Prime last night. Frank Grillo plays a mob fixer on the run from assassins who gets himself arrested and brought to a small police station in the desert for his own protection. Gerard Butler plays an assassin who also gets arrested so he can kill Grillo's character. And things get pretty crazy from there. It was an awesome pleasant surprise and actually one of the best action films I've seen in a long time. Directed by Joe Carnahan who directed Narc, The Grey and Smokin Aces.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#4246 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,676 posts

Posted 03 December 2023 - 01:24 PM

The Exorcist: Believer was a big bag of mediocrity. They took the best horror film of all time and one of the best movies ever, regardless of genre, and updated it into a movie that felt more like a CBS pilot than a sequel to the original. First hour is OK, they try to at least make it feel like a real sequel with the shots, sound effects and sudden edits but it unravels beyond that into an unscary and unsuspenseful finale. Pass.

Supposed to be a trilogy but this was so bad and did so poorly at the box office I wonder if they even bother.
  • Mike in STL likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#4247 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 03 December 2023 - 05:51 PM

The Exorcist: Believer was a big bag of mediocrity. They took the best horror film of all time and one of the best movies ever, regardless of genre, and updated it into a movie that felt more like a CBS pilot than a sequel to the original. First hour is OK, they try to at least make it feel like a real sequel with the shots, sound effects and sudden edits but it unravels beyond that into an unscary and unsuspenseful finale. Pass.

Supposed to be a trilogy but this was so bad and did so poorly at the box office I wonder if they even bother.

There were many missed opportunities. Like the 2 girls parents having differing religious views could have been a major tension builder (especially for a modern take on the original) throughout and instead there was like a throw away line and it’s not really even mentioned again. Chris and Father Karras questioning religion was a major plot point in the original and, not really here. I mean, it’s the Exorcist. Shouldn’t it be?
@BSLMikeRandall

#4248 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,759 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 07 December 2023 - 07:36 AM

My wife had never seen "It's a Wonderful Life" so I made her watch it the other night.  I thought she would get bored of it but she seemed to like it.

#4249 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 07 December 2023 - 12:04 PM

My wife had never seen "It's a Wonderful Life" so I made her watch it the other night.  I thought she would get bored of it but she seemed to like it.

The only movie I've ever cried during, and I do so every year.  I don't know why, I KNOW HE'S GOING TO GET THE MONEY DANGIT!

• DuffMan likes this

#4250 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,759 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 12 December 2023 - 03:05 PM

• Pedro Cerrano likes this

#4251 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,634 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 12 December 2023 - 07:28 PM

I need this Dune movie to be out yesterday

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#4252 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,676 posts

Posted 13 December 2023 - 07:47 AM

It looks amazing.

#4253 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 01 January 2024 - 09:38 PM

My Dinner With Andre has been on my list since that Community episode, and it finally hit Max.  Thoroughly enjoyed it, I'll be processing that one for a while.

#4254 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,676 posts

Posted 10 January 2024 - 09:06 AM

Watched The Creator last night. Felt like a retread of so many sci-fi movies of the last 50 years. Star Wars, Blade Runner, any movie where a little girl is the savior of the planet, etc. But it still managed to be exciting in places despite eventually running out of steam toward the end. The last 20 minutes are characters running around saying "Go close the airlock. I'll go set the timer." What should have been an emotional reunion between two characters isn't given any dialog. You could see why it took Tony Gilroy to save Rogue One. This movie had the look, had the set-pieces, had the characters but it never really congealed into anything vital. Still, it was worth a watch and I wish I had seen it in theaters. *** (out of ****)

• BSLChrisStoner and Mashed Potatoes like this

#4255 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 19 January 2024 - 12:59 PM

I watched Till, which was well done. 

It's also another great example of something that people should consider when they're engaging in the type of history that while complex, largely boils down to right vs wrong:

Considering my views and actions now, would I have been on the right side of history then?

#4256 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,759 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 31 January 2024 - 11:52 AM

Finally got around to watching "The Green Knight"  a little out there in a few spots, but a good movie for the most part.

#4257 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,676 posts

Posted 31 January 2024 - 12:48 PM

Finally got around to watching "The Green Knight"  a little out there in a few spots, but a good movie for the most part.

I wasn't a fan.

#4258 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,676 posts

Posted 31 January 2024 - 12:50 PM

I saw Poor Things. I didn't want to like it; I haven't been crazy about the director's previous work, and I generally don't enjoy such strange movies, but this was good. A nice mix of Frankenstein, Dracula, and a coked out Tim Burton style. Mark Ruffalo stole the show but Emma Stone was amazing in it. She's a lock for Best Actress. It dragged a bit at the end, but I find that most movies do nowadays, such as Oppenheimer and Flower Moon.

#4259 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 02 February 2024 - 09:56 AM

Finally got around to watching "The Green Knight" a little out there in a few spots, but a good movie for the most part.

All the pieces didn't connect but it was so cool and immersive.
@DaKittenz

#4260 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,676 posts

Posted 16 February 2024 - 08:51 AM

Dune 2 getting fantastic reviews. I am super pumped to see it.

• BobPhelan likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=