• Please log in to reply
2663 replies to this topic

#101 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:38 PM

The problem is that since she grew up in this world, even if she was reasonably sheltered by her parents and does remember back to when it started, she should be the one who understands the vicious nature of the new society better than anyone.

It's one thing to show from the moment the blackout happens and see how things develop (which we see to a certain extant through the flashbacks), but the setting is already 15 years beyond that point.

Yeah I had the same thought myself, but I think it's just the only way they could catch us up on the last 15 years and still have that moral compass that every dystopian show needs. I'm guessing they are going to explain why she is still so naive despite growing up in it, but I want to give them a chance to do it cause I see the groundwork laid.
@JeremyMStrain

#102 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,827 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:39 PM

The problem is that since she grew up in this world, even if she was reasonably sheltered by her parents and does remember back to when it started, she should be the one who understands the vicious nature of the new society better than anyone.

It's one thing to show from the moment the blackout happens and see how things develop (which we see to a certain extant through the flashbacks), but the setting is already 15 years beyond that point.

My biggest complaint so far is that they haven't done a good job of showing how the main characters (outside of Miles) have changed due to growing up in this world. Aside from some fighting scenes, it seems like Charlie was thrusted 15 years into the blackout just like we were.

I'm willing to overlook that. I guess we're supposed to think that since she was in that small village for so long she was sheltered which at least means they explain why she's so naive even if it's not very convincing.

The actress is pretty brutally terrible so far, but damn, she's nice to look at.

I liked the second episode enough to continue watching. The DVR space is gonna start getting pretty crowded (my time is the limiting factor though, not the DVR's hard drive) with Homeland, Dexter, Boardwalk Empire, Treme, and Once Upon a Time (my guilty pleasure) all back this week, not to mention Modern Family and Parks & Rec and football 3 nights a week.

#103 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:59 PM

My biggest complaint so far is that they haven't done a good job of showing how the main characters (outside of Miles) have changed due to growing up in this world. Aside from some fighting scenes, it seems like Charlie was thrusted 15 years into the blackout just like we were.

I'm willing to overlook that. I guess we're supposed to think that since she was in that small village for so long she was sheltered which at least means they explain why she's so naive even if it's not very convincing.

The actress is pretty brutally terrible so far, but damn, she's nice to look at.

I liked the second episode enough to continue watching. The DVR space is gonna start getting pretty crowded (my time is the limiting factor though, not the DVR's hard drive) with Homeland, Dexter, Boardwalk Empire, Treme, and Once Upon a Time (my guilty pleasure) all back this week, not to mention Modern Family and Parks & Rec and football 3 nights a week.

Yep, got that vibe too, but I think they are starting to get into the character changes through the flashbacks (ala LOST) I get the feeling whatever separated the mom from the group will be a catalyst for them moving out to the middle of nowhere off the grid and hiding, and that living out there away from everything is why the kids were naive. She's the only one that doesn't just say oh well this is how things are, she asks WHY are they this way when they could be another. Whatever character gets that message across, that has to happen. I think you'll see a toughened edge on her soon though, or they wouldn't have her killing people already. It's a good way to show how this world changes people in real time, to do that you have to start with someone naive and idealistic. I'm ignoring it for now, assuming there is a plan. If she's still that annoying at the end of the season it's a red flag.

I've got 2 DVR, one for shared shows with the wife and one for just me, and they both fill up. Between Sons of Anarchy, Dexter, Revolution, Supernatural, Once Upon a Time (I like it too), Boardwalk Empire, Restaurant Impossible, Top Chef, and more, I watch way too much TV.
@JeremyMStrain

#104 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:29 PM

I was talking about Parks & Rec. I haven't watched the Office (assuming that's what you're talking about) in a few seasons.

Haha, for some reason I thought Nellie's name was Leslie.

Which led me to this gem of a music video by Leslie (Stan of the Office) on a google search:

KX5xh4AX2HU

#105 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,592 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:41 PM

Or watch it on Hulu.

If its not part of Hulu plus I might do that.

#106 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,592 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:53 PM

Elementary - Exactly what you would expect from a CBS procedural starring Sherlock Holmes. Its not bad but just like Hawaii Five Oh and Person of Interest I'll probably watch a handful of episodes before getting the point and giving up.

#107 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,235 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:53 PM

Did anyone see Last Resort last night?

I'm very interested in it.

#108 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:59 PM

I taped it but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. Heard good things though.
@JeremyMStrain

#109 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,592 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:35 PM

I taped it but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. Heard good things though.

Same here. I should get to it sometime this weekend.

#110 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:58 PM

Really, really good. I'd follow Andre Braugher's character through Hell and back.

#111 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,157 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:11 PM

Really, really good. I'd follow Andre Braugher's character through Hell and back.

Braugher makes anything better.

#112 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,592 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:25 AM

Braugher makes anything better.

Men Of A Certain Age was a great show that only lasted three seasons. Highly recommended for anyone that hasn't seen it.

#113 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:09 PM

I doubt all watch the show but from the previews I've seen for Nashville I just wanted to say that Hayden Panettiere is looking pretty good.

#114 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:55 PM

I doubt all watch the show but from the previews I've seen for Nashville I just wanted to say that Hayden Panettiere is looking pretty good.

The wife wants to watch it, so I'm sure I'll peek at an episode or two.
@JeremyMStrain

#115 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,592 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:08 AM

It's getting great reviews and I'm sure the wife will like it so I'll check it out.

Last Resort premiere was pretty great. Anyone else watch it yet?

Dexter premiere was good too. Haven't watched Homeland yet.

#116 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,592 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:17 PM

Watched the Vegas pilot. Its not for me. The acting is fine but it just seems like a boring procedural to me. Nothing jumped out.

#117 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,235 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:59 PM

It's getting great reviews and I'm sure the wife will like it so I'll check it out.

Last Resort premiere was pretty great. Anyone else watch it yet?

Dexter premiere was good too. Haven't watched Homeland yet.

Watched it on THursday. Really excited about this show.

Did anyone see Revolution last night?

Spoiler: In the previews for next week, they said that one of the characters will die. Anyone else hoping it's Charlie? :D

#118 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:31 PM

Watched it on THursday. Really excited about this show.

Did anyone see Revolution last night?

Spoiler: In the previews for next week, they said that one of the characters will die. Anyone else hoping it's Charlie? :D

Yes, yes, dear God yes. Which is why it won't happen. It will be Miles' USA-loving ex.

I am enjoying the show more. This was about the point I gave up on other similar shows (like Terra Nova and FlashForward) but it doesn't look like this will follow. It also got its back nine today, so we get a full season, at least.

#119 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,235 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:45 PM

Yes, yes, dear God yes. Which is why it won't happen. It will be Miles' USA-loving ex.

I am enjoying the show more. This was about the point I gave up on other similar shows (like Terra Nova and FlashForward) but it doesn't look like this will follow. It also got its back nine today, so we get a full season, at least.

I wonder how its ratings have been doing. I also think it'll be the British chick.

#120 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:05 PM

Same here, I'm really digging it actually. I think that it's going to be one of the two who know the secret about the power though, it would help keep the number of people who know to a minimum.
@JeremyMStrain

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=