#1 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:48 PM

Between Community and Parks and Recreation, NBC's Thursday night: The best night of television...or the BEST night of television?

Discuss.

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,077 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:10 AM

Like them both, both on the verge of being cancelled. Similarly Cougar Town, and Happy Endings are both high-quality sitcoms that might not return.

#3 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,756 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:52 AM

I haven't watched Community, but have heard nothing but good things. I absolutely love Parks & Rec, but mostly just for Ron Swanson and Andy (and the awesome lines the writers give to them).

Parks & Rec and Modern Family are the only two shows I follow that aren't on Sunday nights.

#4 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:23 PM

Community is easily my favorite show right now. I fully understand why it gets the ratings that it does, but it seems like one of those shows that either hits you hard or doesn't do anything for you. I just wish it wasn't up against...that CBS program, although the better ratings it got during the NCAA tournament (and the disaster 30 Rock was in the same timeslot as a more "known", established show) will probably keep it around next fall.

Same for Parks, which seems to get decent ratings especially for NBC. I can see those two shows moving to Tuesday or Wednesday night.

Cougar Town hasn't really interested me, though I've started to watch a little with all of the critical praise it gets. Happy Endings, though, might be the funniest show on television, and Alex the funniest character. Fortunately it has been renewed.

#5 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:40 PM

House, M.D. ended its run tonight. I think it ended in an absolutely perfect manner, though it could be argued that the way the writing went through the end of the season it was really the only way to go.

I already miss the show (though I do want to see The Mob Doctor when it takes over the slot in the fall), even though I fell in love with it relatively late.

#6 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,543 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:59 PM

Please tell me House died or lost a limb or something.

Insufferable character and I only ever heard commercials for the show.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#7 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:48 PM

Please tell me House died or lost a limb or something.

Insufferable character and I only ever heard commercials for the show.

That's like someone thinking you are insufferable because they hated Major League :D

#8 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 23 May 2012 - 06:15 PM

I was going to start a thread about what shows everyone watches, but then I found this. For me, I have a fair amount of shows that I have been watching:

- The Office
- The League
- Always Sunny
- Modern Family
- How I Met Your Mother
- Alcatraz (cancelled)
- Terra Nova (cancelled)

What about you?

#9 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,077 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:07 PM

Yahoo / The Hollywood Reporter: Conan O'Brien: End of the pity party
http://tv.yahoo.com/...-155718202.html

#10 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:30 PM

I was going to start a thread about what shows everyone watches, but then I found this. For me, I have a fair amount of shows that I have been watching:

- The Office
- The League
- Always Sunny
- Modern Family
- How I Met Your Mother
- Alcatraz (cancelled)
- Terra Nova (cancelled)

What about you?

The only one of those shows I watch is HIMYM. Still love it, though it has gone downhill over the past few years (just meet the damn Mom!).

My weekly viewing last season tended to look like this:

Monday--HIMYM, 2 Broke Girls, House
Tuesday--New Girl
Wednesday--Whitney, Suburgatory, Happy Endings/Don't Trust The B, Law and Order: SVU
Thursday--Community, Parks and Recreation, Burn Notice (when it was on)

Friday through Sunday was pretty much whatever I could find on. Next season (really, later in the summer) I'll add Breaking Bad for the first time (caught up on Netflix).

#11 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:53 AM

House, M.D. ended its run tonight. I think it ended in an absolutely perfect manner, though it could be argued that the way the writing went through the end of the season it was really the only way to go.

I already miss the show (though I do want to see The Mob Doctor when it takes over the slot in the fall), even though I fell in love with it relatively late.

If you need a House'esque fix, give the British - BBC show, Luther a chance (if you haven't already). His character reminds me of house in some ways with his expertise in deductive reasoning, and breaking the rules. Of course, the best part of Luther is that Luther is Idris Elba, better known as Stringer Bell. He. Nails. It.

#12 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:58 AM

Okay, so here goes for me:

-The Office
-HIMYM
-Sunny
-Dexter (although it's getting old)
-Breaking Bad (amazing)
-Homeland
-The League
-Sherlock (Mini-TV Series on British TV - Simply amazing!)
-Shameless (Watched the British series, and am now watching the American/Shotime version)
-Boardwalk Empire

I'm finally going to go all in and watch Community. I've watched an episode here and there in the past, and enjoyed it, but just didn't have the time to keep up with it.

I was a fan of 24 and Entourage during their respective runs (although the later seasons of Entourage got pretty poor, IMO). I'm anxious to see the movies for these series which will hopefully wrap everything up in their story lines.

I agree with DJ MC on HIMYM - The dragging on is killing the show a bit. Fortunately they've had some substance in the last season, but the whole thing is just getting old and needs a resolution. The passing of Marshall's father made for some very emotional episodes, and the evolution of Barney as a love sick puppy dog was quite entertaining too. Also, they need to show more of his hot grown up daughter who he's telling these stories to. Just sayin'.

#13 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,574 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 27 May 2012 - 03:57 PM

- Game of Thrones (Huge fan of the books. the show is good, not great)

- Girls (Funny enough show, gives me something to watch with the wife)

- Veep (Funny enough show that the wife refuses to watch with me. If you liked In The Loop, you'll like it)

- Dexter (Last two seasons have been kind of garbage but I can't quit. Plus next season could be epic if they follow through with last season's finale.)

- Homeland (Great first season, be interesting to see what they do from here)

- Breaking Bad (Recently caught up. Amazing show, season 3 was the best IMO)

- The Killing (Losing interest but haven't quit yet)

- Mad Men (Slowly catching up. I'm at season 2, episode 4 at the moment)

- Modern Family (Very hit or miss since season 1 but the good episodes are worth it)

- Always Sunny (Still makes me laugh many seasons later)

- Awake (First and only season just finished. Started and ended strong, the middle episodes were too much of a procedural for my taste)

I'm also a big reality tv junkie. Its my guilty pleasure viewing. Big Brother, Survivor, Celebrity Apprentice, etc.

#14 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,077 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 04:28 PM

Game of Thrones
Mad Men
The Pitch
Family Guy
How I Met Your Mother
Cougar Town
Modern Family
Happy Endings
Big Bang Theory
Community
Parks & Rec
The Office
60 Minutes
Dateline
Criminal Minds
Boardwalk Empire
Veep
Girls
South Park
Daily Show
Workaholics
Robot Chicken

#15 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:31 PM

Speaking of Community - I'm sure you're already aware of this, but Donald Glover (Troy) is also a Rap artist under the name Childish Gambino. Extremely talented, and I'm not a huge rap fan. But he's very creative and a lot of fun to listen to.

*Note, NSFW, Language, etc.

otPxoVQiIGo

#16 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:10 PM

Just thought of some other TV shows that I'll watch if they're in a marathon, but don't watch season-by-season:

Law and Order: SVU
Criminal Minds
NCIS
Duck Dynasty
Storage Wars
Pawn Stars

#17 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:35 PM

If you need a House'esque fix, give the British - BBC show, Luther a chance (if you haven't already). His character reminds me of house in some ways with his expertise in deductive reasoning, and breaking the rules. Of course, the best part of Luther is that Luther is Idris Elba, better known as Stringer Bell. He. Nails. It.

I keep hearing a lot about Luther, and after finally watching The Wire I'd like to see something else with String in it :P

Might give it a try. Haven't had much experience with British shows, though. Other than Cougarton Abbey.

Okay, so here goes for me:

-The Office
-HIMYM
-Sunny
-Dexter (although it's getting old)
-Breaking Bad (amazing)
-Homeland
-The League
-Sherlock (Mini-TV Series on British TV - Simply amazing!)
-Shameless (Watched the British series, and am now watching the American/Shotime version)
-Boardwalk Empire

I'm finally going to go all in and watch Community. I've watched an episode here and there in the past, and enjoyed it, but just didn't have the time to keep up with it.

I was a fan of 24 and Entourage during their respective runs (although the later seasons of Entourage got pretty poor, IMO). I'm anxious to see the movies for these series which will hopefully wrap everything up in their story lines.

I agree with DJ MC on HIMYM - The dragging on is killing the show a bit. Fortunately they've had some substance in the last season, but the whole thing is just getting old and needs a resolution. The passing of Marshall's father made for some very emotional episodes, and the evolution of Barney as a love sick puppy dog was quite entertaining too. Also, they need to show more of his hot grown up daughter who he's telling these stories to. Just sayin'.

At least give Community a full season. You see flashes of brilliance early-on, and about 2/3 of the way through it begins to hit its stride towards what it wants to become. It's really funny all the way through, too.

As for Lyndsay Fonesca--the daughter from HIMYM--from what I understand around season three they filmed a bunch of those generic "forward" scenes to account for the aging of those two actors, including whatever they intend to use to end the series. Most of the time now they look fairly recycled.

#18 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:39 PM

Speaking of Community - I'm sure you're already aware of this, but Donald Glover (Troy) is also a Rap artist under the name Childish Gambino. Extremely talented, and I'm not a huge rap fan. But he's very creative and a lot of fun to listen to.

I saw him at UMBC this year. Really, really funny stand-up comedian. Can't really speak for his music because (1) I'm not a rap fan at all and (2) the sound was so awful I literally didn't understand a single word of any of his musical performance. Though I got to make a bunch of "20,000 engineers but no one who can work a sound system" jokes to my UMBC-attending buddy. Makes for some variety from the "So, how's your football team doing?" jokes.

#19 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:19 AM

I keep hearing a lot about Luther, and after finally watching The Wire I'd like to see something else with String in it :P

Might give it a try. Haven't had much experience with British shows, though. Other than Cougarton Abbey.

At least give Community a full season. You see flashes of brilliance early-on, and about 2/3 of the way through it begins to hit its stride towards what it wants to become. It's really funny all the way through, too.

As for Lyndsay Fonesca--the daughter from HIMYM--from what I understand around season three they filmed a bunch of those generic "forward" scenes to account for the aging of those two actors, including whatever they intend to use to end the series. Most of the time now they look fairly recycled.

I finished the 1st season of Community last night and am hooked. Pretty much what you said, about 2/3 of the way through it really went from good to great. I absolutely LOVED the Goodfellas episode. The dynamic with Abed and Troy is very entertaining, and Abed is one of the most unique and awesome TV characters ever.

As for seeing Childish Gambino at UMBC - I hear ya - the sound is awful there. I saw Ludacris there back in the day (again, not a big rap fan, but I had a few friends who were in HS), and I also saw The Ataris there. Both were unbearable. You'd think they would figure that out.

#20 DBean

DBean
  • Members
  • 482 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills, MD

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:35 PM

USA Network premiered a new show a couple weeks ago called "Common Law." It's about two police detectives that partner up, but don't really like each other. I think it is pretty funny. At least based on the few episodes that they have out.
@mrbeanage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=