#61 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:01 PM

It's really not that big of a deal if they get a 1 or a 2. At least not as big of a deal as it's being made out to be.

First round game is easier....after that, it's all about matchups. Plenty of 7/10 winners I would rather face than 8/9 winners.

Yep. And if a team loses to a 15 seed, well they weren't going to do much anyway in all likelihood.

#62 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:04 PM

They also won at Pitt...48-45.

Yea, I remember that now..I'm pretty sure my brain was trying to block that one out now that you mention the score.

Assuming Duke beats Carolina on Saturday, I'm pretty excited about playing Virginia in the conference Semis!!

@beginthebegin71

#63 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:06 PM

In fairness to UVA weak conference slate, they won 3 of 4 against ranked teams in the ACC, not their fault the ACC was weak this year. Yeah they didn't so well OOC, but a positive trend and how you are on Selection Sunday matter.

Edit: 2 of 3, UNC wasn't ranked when they played them.

@levineps

#64 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:09 PM

In fairness to UVA weak conference slate, they won 3 of 4 against ranked teams in the ACC, not their fault the ACC was weak this year. Yeah they didn't so well OOC, but a positive trend and how you are on Selection Sunday matter.

I don't believe Pitt is ranked now, so it evens out I guess.

@beginthebegin71

#65 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:09 PM

#1 overall seed I would say matters because you'll be playing as close to home most likely until the Final Four. Also, they try to match it up so you'd have to play the weakest #2 in the Elite Eight and the second best team is on the other side of the bracket.

@levineps

#66 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:10 PM

I don't believe Pitt is ranked now, so it evens out I guess.

Yeah, it depends how you look at this kind of thing. Do you evaluate it at the time it was played or how it ended up. The VCU loss at home looks worse as well, but at the time they were 14th.

@levineps

#67 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:11 PM

#1 overall seed I would say matters because you'll be playing as close to home most likely until the Final Four. Also, they try to match it up so you'd have to play the weakest #2 in the Elite Eight and the second best team is on the other side of the bracket.

Some crazy team is going to come out of nowhere to win the whole thing, this seems like the perfect year for that.

@beginthebegin71

#68 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:11 PM

Yep...it's not their fault.

But it doesn't take away the truth of the situation.

It's not like people expected a lot of the teams they played to be really good.

FSU and maybe MD have disappointed on some level...that's about it.

Not like they were slated to play Duke and Cuse 4 times and they ended up sucking.

#69 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:12 PM

Yeah, it depends how you look at this kind of thing. Do you evaluate it at the time it was played or how it ended up. The VCU loss at home looks worse as well, but at the time they were 14th.

True, and it looks like they beat SMU and now they've really come on, so credit to them for that.

But that Tennessee loss?? What the hell?

@beginthebegin71

#70 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:14 PM

Some crazy team is going to come out of nowhere to win the whole thing, this seems like the perfect year for that.

Mich St is going to end up with a 4-6 seed(unless they win the B10 tourney) and that is a team no one will want to play if they get healthy.

A lot of people think they are the best team when healthy.

#71 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:15 PM

True, and it looks like they beat SMU and now they've really come on, so credit to them for that.

But that Tennessee loss?? What the hell?

They lost to Green Bay(good mid major), Tenn, VCU and Wisky(in a game they scored 38 points).

Just don't have the resume.

#72 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:16 PM

Right now, I think I like Florida. They've been consistent, play good defense - and have kind of done this quietly. They aren't a team that is reliant on ridiculous, volatile shooting efficiency either. 

But yeah, Michigan State could do it for sure - and many other teams this year. With the UVA being such a good 2nd half team, and playing good defense, how insane would it be if they made a legit run. I still can't believe they're winning the ACC this year.

#73 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

It be pretty boring if it went all chalk especially this year.

@levineps

#74 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Mich St is going to end up with a 4-6 seed(unless they win the B10 tourney) and that is a team no one will want to play if they get healthy.

A lot of people think they are the best team when healthy.

They'd be a good choice...I was thinking someone like Oklahoma State or UCLA.

@beginthebegin71

#75 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:17 PM

Oklahoma State is an interesting choice. I'm intrigued to see how their next couple of games go after the Kansas upset. Are they back? 

#76 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:18 PM

They lost to Green Bay(good mid major), Tenn, VCU and Wisky(in a game they scored 38 points).

Just don't have the resume.

There's a chance all of those teams get in the tourney, which is solid.

We'll see what happens in the ACC tournament.

@beginthebegin71

#77 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:19 PM

Oklahoma State is an interesting choice. I'm intrigued to see how their next couple of games go after the Kansas upset. Are they back? 

In a word, yes.

@beginthebegin71

#78 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:19 PM

Right now, I think I like Florida. They've been consistent, play good defense - and have kind of done this quietly. They aren't a team that is reliant on ridiculous, volatile shooting efficiency either. 

But yeah, Michigan State could do it for sure - and many other teams this year. With the UVA being such a good 2nd half team, and playing good defense, how insane would it be if they made a legit run. I still can't believe they're winning the ACC this year.

When you're the #1 team in the country -- how quiet can it be?

If UF wins it all this year, Billy Donovan gets mentioned in the greatest coaches convo. That will be 3 national titles. And he built that program. Best decision he ever made was going back to Gainesville after taking the Magic job.

@levineps

#79 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:20 PM

When you're the #1 team in the country -- how quiet can it be?

If UF wins it all this year, Billy Donovan gets mentioned in the greatest coaches convo. That will be 3 national titles. And he built that program. Best decision he ever made was going back to Gainesville after taking the Magic job.

To me, it's been as quiet as it can be with being as dominant as they've been. Part of that is the SEC, they are really terrible. There isn't a lot of flash on that team either. 

#80 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:20 PM

Not a huge fan of UCLA, I think they can make a deep run, but I'd be fairly surprised if they ran the tables.

@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=