• Please log in to reply
1910 replies to this topic

#41 Big Mac

Big Mac
  • Members
  • 47 posts
  • LocationWilmington, DE

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:17 PM

One thing to note regarding UVA's conference schedule - they beat all of the teams they were supposed to beat unlike Duke (Miami), Syracuse (BC) and UNC (Florida St).

The sheer dominance they displayed in the ACC is something to pay attention to as well, they won something like 11 of their ACC games by double digits.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@s_sully91

#42 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,148 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 02 March 2014 - 03:36 PM

One thing to note regarding UVA's conference schedule - they beat all of the teams they were supposed to beat unlike Duke (Miami), Syracuse (BC) and UNC (Florida St).

The sheer dominance they displayed in the ACC is something to pay attention to as well, they won something like 11 of their ACC games by double digits.

I hear you there, and I agree that you can only beat the teams on the docket. Still, the schedule was soft. It sucks, but that's what it is. If UVA doesn't win the tourney, they might not even get a 2 seed, and while that sucks, a lack of marquee wins will do that, unless you were already established as a top team.

#43 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 March 2014 - 03:39 PM

I hear you there, and I agree that you can only beat the teams on the docket. Still, the schedule was soft. It sucks, but that's what it is. If UVA doesn't win the tourney, they might not even get a 2 seed, and while that sucks, a lack of marquee wins will do that, unless you were already established as a top team.

I think if they make the finals of the ACC Tourney, they'll almost surely be a #2. An early round Tourney exit they probably won't be a #2.

@levineps

#44 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 March 2014 - 04:01 PM

Greg Anthony has UVA as a #1 seed.

@levineps

#45 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:48 PM

Duke didn't lose to Miami...they did lose to Clemson and ND though.

That being said, and while you are correct, UVA still had a cake ACC schedule.

They are a good team...but I just don't see the resume of a 1 seed unless they beat Duke and Cuse in the tourney and they won't get that chance in all likelihood.

#46 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,926 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:50 PM

Gotta love a Duke and UNC fan's take on UVA's resume. 

#47 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:55 PM

Well...you look at their resume and I will ask you the same thing Bilas says every year....who have you played and who have you beaten?

And then compare that resume to Duke, Cuse and Kansas, the other 3 teams battling for the 4th 1 seed...and tell me that resume is better.
  • The Epic likes this

#48 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,926 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:57 PM

Well...you look at their resume and I will ask you the same thing Bilas says every year....who have you played and who have you beaten?

And then compare that resume to Duke, Cuse and Kansas, the other 3 teams battling for the 4th 1 seed...and tell me that resume is better.

They cleaned up the same conf. Duke and Cuse plays in, and they didn't make their conference schedule. It's amusing how you use KenPom when it suits you, but not when it says UVA is #2 in the country.

#49 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:58 PM

I got no dog in this fight, but they did have a relatively easy ACC schedule after a decent at best OOC resume. This can happen when you have an unbalanced schedule. That's why the ACC Tourney should be a good test for them. I do think it's possible if they win it all, they can get a first seed.

@levineps

#50 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:00 PM

They cleaned up the same conf. Duke and Cuse plays in, and they didn't make their conference schedule. It's amusing how you use KenPom when it suits you, but not when it says UVA is #2 in the country.

I think just about everyone picks and chooses their arguments on how it suits their teams.

@levineps

#51 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:02 PM

What?

I acknowledged they are #2 and that they are good...but they aren't worthy of a #1 seed. Kenpom has nothing to do with seeding.

And yes, they won the conference Duke and Cuse did...by playing much more of the underbelly of the conference and feasting off the poor teams. Wonderful...I can definitely see how you would think that is more impressive than beating and playing the best teams multiple times.

#52 Big Mac

Big Mac
  • Members
  • 47 posts
  • LocationWilmington, DE

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:02 PM

Duke didn't lose to Miami...they did lose to Clemson and ND though.

That being said, and while you are correct, UVA still had a cake ACC schedule.

They are a good team...but I just don't see the resume of a 1 seed unless they beat Duke and Cuse in the tourney and they won't get that chance in all likelihood.

You are right, ND is what I was thinking of. That's what I get for trying to go squarely of memory.

FWIW, I don't disagree really. I don't see a #1 seed either without winning the ACC tournament.

@s_sully91

#53 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:06 PM

Btw, if Duke or Cuse and Kansas were to lose early in their tourneys and UVA beat UNC, one if Duke/Cuse and won the title, then they would get a 1 in that scenario IMO.

MD will be a tough game for them though IMO...a loss there would hurt them.

#54 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:11 PM

You are right, ND is what I was thinking of. That's what I get for trying to go squarely of memory.

FWIW, I don't disagree really. I don't see a #1 seed either without winning the ACC tournament.

They're only shot is the fourth #1 seed IMO and even that isn't a guarantee with winning the ACCT. They'll need other teams to fall.

@levineps

#55 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:13 PM

Btw, if Duke or Cuse and Kansas were to lose early in their tourneys and UVA beat UNC, one if Duke/Cuse and won the title, then they would get a 1 in that scenario IMO.

MD will be a tough game for them though IMO...a loss there would hurt them.

A loss against MD would be a "bad loss" and would all but eliminate them for #1 seed, could hurt them in terms of being a #2 seed too. I expect UVA to win but MD plays every game competitive it seems recently, just can't win.

@levineps

#56 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,148 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:42 PM

They cleaned up the same conf. Duke and Cuse plays in, and they didn't make their conference schedule.

Their conference schedule still exists, though. Unfortunately it's the hand they were dealt. 

If they had easily swept through their OOC schedule and THEN feasted on the soft underbelly of the conference, hey, that's cool. Unfortunately, that didn't happen, so they're probably not one of the top four teams. Nobody's saying they're NOT the best team in the conference. it's just that if they are, they're going to have to prove it in the ACCT.

#57 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:44 PM

Tough to take anything away from what Virginia has done, but how many wins do they have over teams in the Top 25? I didn't read the whole thread, just the last few posts, so if it's been answered, my bad.

Off the top of my head, I know they beat Syracuse obviously, and Carolina while they were struggling. Were there others?

@beginthebegin71

#58 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,480 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:55 PM

It's really not that big of a deal if they get a 1 or a 2. At least not as big of a deal as it's being made out to be.

#59 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:57 PM

It's really not that big of a deal if they get a 1 or a 2. At least not as big of a deal as it's being made out to be.

First round game is easier....after that, it's all about matchups. Plenty of 7/10 winners I would rather face than 8/9 winners.

#60 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:57 PM

Tough to take anything away from what Virginia has done, but how many wins do they have over teams in the Top 25? I didn't read the whole thread, just the last few posts, so if it's been answered, my bad.

Off the top of my head, I know they beat Syracuse obviously, and Carolina while they were struggling. Were there others?

They also won at Pitt...48-45.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=