239 replies to this topic

#161 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,998 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:32 AM

I think you'll see his ERA more closely match his FIP, which was about a 0.40 difference last year, so I'd expect him to be maybe a quarter run higher in ERA than last year for that reason. However, I don't think he will tire as much over the final two months so his numbers overall will be a bit better for that reason, by about that same quarter run. I also think that will help him pitch more total innings on the year.

So I think we'll see him be right around a 4.00 ERA again, this time over 205-210 innings instead of 190.

#162 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:32 PM

MLB.com: Command, breaking balls crisp in Chen's debut
http://baltimore.ori...id=bal#42189090

"Chen had some right knee soreness toward the end of last year and the team tried to give him some extra rest down the stretch. It was also one of the reasons they held him back, along with Jason Hammel and Miguel Gonzalez, during the early part of spring.

"Last year, I felt a little bit scary about pitching because of soreness in my knee," said Chen, who had his shoulder and knee wrapped in ice as he talked to reporters. "This year, I feel totally fine. I'm really lucky enough to be pitching again today."

#163 MattCLund

MattCLund
  • Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:08 PM

Amazing that he threw nearly 200 innings for the O's. He was getting tired down the stretch (and had the knee soreness) so for me I want to see the conditioning better for those grueling months in July and August. As his conditioning is better this season, I think you'll see him get over the 200 innings mark for the O's and be an effective pitcher.

If both Chen and Hammel can go 200 innings, that will be huge for the pen and hopefully get the O's into situations where they're winning by more than a run and not going into extra innings as much with a fresher bullpen.

Would love to see him get into the 8th inning this season. Nine starts he got into at least the 7th inning. I think he'll fall in around 3th or 4th starter on this club. I'd be happy with a 4.00-4.25 ERA from Chen. I just don't think we'll see much variance from what we saw out of him last season.
@MattCLund

#164 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:46 AM

Echoing Matt, Id like to Chen put up some innings right away, and get off to a strong start here in April.

#165 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:06 PM

Didn't end great, but a nice outing for Chen today in Boston.

As we stated in the game thread, we love how willing Chen is to continue to attack with the fastball. Bordick pointed out several times Chen's improved change-up.

#166 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:51 AM

After tossing 8 scoreless last night, Chen's season stats are now:

2-2, 2.53 era, 5.12 xFIP, 32 ip, 23 hits, 2 hr's, 9 bb's, 16 k's, .575 OPS against, 26.3% GB%

He has been using the change-up more. His line drive % is similar to last year. His FB% is higher. K% is lower. BB% about the same. HR/9 down.

Overall, I think his numbers will even out and look pretty similar to what we saw over his 32 starts last year.

#167 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:37 PM

orioles lefty wei-yin chen has hired scott boras

— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS)

#168 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,998 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:50 PM

Glad we still have him another year before he's a free agent then.

#169 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:31 PM

4.75M club option for the 2015 season too.

• Mackus likes this

#170 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:37 AM

4.75M club option for the 2015 season too.

I'm not overly concerned by this development at this point, since we have him for atleast another season and possibly two.

@levineps

#171 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:06 PM

Baseball Reference has him arbitration eligible in 2015, and an FA in 2018. 

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

#172 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:12 PM

Chen has already gotten as many GIDPs this year (10) as he did last year. Kind of funny because he actually has a worse GB rate this year (31.1%) than last year (37.1%). Biggest difference so far has been cutting down on homers (2012: 1.35 HR/9; 2013: 0.64 HR/9). 

@BaltimoreDavey

#173 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,998 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:00 AM

Baseball Reference has him arbitration eligible in 2015, and an FA in 2018. 

That's wrong.  That's just based on regular old 6-years of service time rules that every player is typically subject to.  Chen's a Japanese FA and those guys almost always (if they are vets) work clauses into their contract granting them FA after their deal runs out, regardless of their service time status.  So we've got him for his current contract (4/$15.7M including option for 2015) and then he'll be a free agent.

BR doesn't have particularly detailed contract info.  Use Cot's for that, it's way better.

#174 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:56 AM

That's wrong.  That's just based on regular old 6-years of service time rules that every player is typically subject to.  Chen's a Japanese FA and those guys almost always (if they are vets) work clauses into their contract granting them FA after their deal runs out, regardless of their service time status.  So we've got him for his current contract (4/$15.7M including option for 2015) and then he'll be a free agent.

BR doesn't have particularly detailed contract info.  Use Cot's for that, it's way better.

OK. Yeah, we still have him for two years. Which makes him switching his agent to Scott Boras that much more confusing.

@BaltimoreDavey

#175 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,998 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:25 AM

OK. Yeah, we still have him for two years. Which makes him switching his agent to Scott Boras that much more confusing.

I suppose it's better (from his old agent's perspective) to make the move sooner so the guy isn't sitting there 3 months before he hits FA thinking that he's gonna get a nice commission.  But yeah, Boras won't have any impact on Chen's contract until after 2015 when he hits free agency.

#176 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,243 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:02 PM

After 5 IP with 0 runs given up, Chen had to leave the ballgame due to a right oblique strain.

#177 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:12 PM

Starting pitcher Wei-Yin Chen continues to improve from a strained right oblique, but the lefty isn’t pain-free just yet, according to Showalter.

http://wnst.net/balt...iple-a-norfolk/

#178 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:27 AM

CSN Baltimore: Chen moving closer to rejoining O's
http://www.csnbaltim...joining-orioles

#179 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,243 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:56 PM

Brittany Ghiroli @Britt_Ghiroli 12m

Chen could be ready early July. Threw off a full mound today and sim game on Thursday.

#180 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:16 AM

Making his first outing since May 12th, Chen went 5 innings last night for Bowie. He allowed 5 hits, 4 er, 2 bb's, with 5 k's.

Will be interesting to see if he gets another start at AA, or joins the O's to face Chicago Thursday, or NY Friday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=