239 replies to this topic

#141 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:02 PM

It'll be interesting if the league catches up to Chen in general moving forward over the next few years. It didn't seem to me like he was tired or wearing down tonight. He just lost his rhythm to Swisher and Cano, and eventually Martin and boom 3 run bomb. The Pearce dinger really hurt too. The HR ball will always be an issue for him. Basically, he has to keep limiting walks and hits in general to be successful. (obvious statement alert)

#142 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:37 AM

Nice bounce back start for Chen yesterday.

7.1 ip, 8 hits, 2 er, 1 bb, 7 k's, 8 grounders.

#143 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,998 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:45 AM

Fantastic start for Chen, in a huge game. He even really could have been better, as nearly all of the 8 hits he gave up were bloops, dinks, and infield swinging bunts.

#144 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:56 AM

Fantastic start for Chen, in a huge game. He even really could have been better, as nearly all of the 8 hits he gave up were bloops, dinks, and infield swinging bunts.

Which is about the extent of the Rays' offense in general. :lol:

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#145 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:05 PM

Chen went 5.1, allowing 6 hits, 2er, 1 hr, 2 bb's, with 2 k's last time out vs. Seattle. Back on the mound tonight vs. the Jays.

#146 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:17 PM

The O's will be looking to tie up the ALDS tomorrow, before heading to NY.

Baltimore has done a good job of moving on after tough losses this year. A strong start from Chen will go a long ways to erasing tonight, and being in position to win tomorrow.

#147 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:36 PM

Chen has made 4 starts vs. NY, going 1-2 with a 5.25 era. He has pitched a combined 24 ip, allowing 21 hits, 6 hr's, 6 bb's, with 18 k's.

He had back-to-back starts vs. NY in September, allowing 3 er in 6.2 ip in NY, and being touched up for 7 er over 4.2 ip in Baltimore.

#148 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:15 PM

Chen goes 6.1, allowing 8 hits, 1 er, 1 bb, with 3 k's. He threw 112 pitches, 77 for strikes. He got the Yanks to hit 11 grounders against him.

A little extra rest, a cool night, and he came through.

#149 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:15 AM

I'm starting to wonder about Interpreter Dude... seems like things get lost or twisted going back and forth... not sure if Chen isn't really getting the question or if we're not really getting the answer, but something's getting sidetracked somewhere... AFAIK, getting a better interpreter doesn't count against payroll, so maybe they could fix that in the offseason...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#150 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:33 AM

Chen goes 6.1, allowing 8 hits, 1 er, 1 bb, with 3 k's. He threw 112 pitches, 77 for strikes. He got the Yanks to hit 11 grounders against him.

A little extra rest, a cool night, and he came through.

He really battled. I noticed he pitched all night in short sleeves. The cold, and it was cold, air definitely seemed to refresh him. My son said he seemed to be walking on air coming off to that standing ovation. I got to think, Chen's success and the way he has been welcomed and treated here, has to help us getting more international players. I have been going to sports events for over 45 years and the ovation for Chen coming off the mound was one of the best I have seen and the explosion at the end of the game was incredible.
@mikeghg

#151 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:24 AM

He really battled. I noticed he pitched all night in short sleeves. The cold, and it was cold, air definitely seemed to refresh him. My son said he seemed to be walking on air coming off to that standing ovation. I got to think, Chen's success and the way he has been welcomed and treated here, has to help us getting more international players. I have been going to sports events for over 45 years and the ovation for Chen coming off the mound was one of the best I have seen and the explosion at the end of the game was incredible.

It was great to see him get the ovation, and to tip the cap. He deserved it. He has been our most consistent cog all year considering he's stayed healthy an has generally given us a chance to win every 5 days. We would not be here without Wei-Yin Chen.

The thing I think I like most about Chen is his ability to adjust, and re-adjust and bounce back against teams or games where he got roughed up a bit. Whenever he is facing a team that he has struggled against previously, it never worries me in terms of being a shoe in to repeat a previous poor experience.

Shack - What's the deal with the intepretor... what are you talking about specifically?

#152 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:35 AM

ESPN: Chen's slider helps O's knot up series
http://espn.go.com/b...-knot-up-series

#153 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:48 PM

Shack - What's the deal with the intepretor... what are you talking about specifically?

I understand that Chen doesn't wanna say much... but what he says sometimes doesn't quite match up with the question. One example is MASN's video clip after the MFY game... part of it might be that he doesn't quite have his cliches down, but I also think something is being lost in translation somewhere...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#154 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:54 PM

I'm starting to wonder about Interpreter Dude... seems like things get lost or twisted going back and forth... not sure if Chen isn't really getting the question or if we're not really getting the answer, but something's getting sidetracked somewhere... AFAIK, getting a better interpreter doesn't count against payroll, so maybe they could fix that in the offseason...

Let's concentrate on this problem! :lol:
@levineps

#155 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:49 PM

Chen 2012: 32 starts, 12-11, 4.02 era, 192.2 ip, 186 hits, 29 hr's, 57 bb's, 154 k's, .729 OPS against, 0.64 G/F
xFIP 4.34, K% 18.8, BB% 7, LD% 20.8, SwStr % 9.1.

General Thoughts:
The 190+ innings, and 32 starts made by Chen were huge. I loved that Chen was so willing to work off, and attack with the fastball (he threw his 4 seam fastball 59.6% of the time). While he struggled in September (0-3, 5.90 era), overall after the All-Star break he was 5-6, with a 4.12 era. As that production is close to his overall production for the year, that shows me the league was not adjusting to him as the year progressed. He also had more K’s per ip over the 2nd half. He did let up a fair amount of homers, but he did a pretty good job all year of limiting the damage in-front of those home runs. I don’t know if Chen has any further ceiling, but I don’t believe it is too much to ask him to replicate his 2012 numbers.

#156 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:10 AM

BSL: 2013 Projections: Wei-Yin Chen
http://baltimorespor...s-wei-yin-chen/

#157 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:37 AM

BSL: 2013 Projections: Wei-Yin Chen
http://baltimorespor...s-wei-yin-chen/

I am expecting him to be a 4th starter.

My biggest issue is the homers allowed...Let's see if that continues and if it does, how much that hurts him.

I do like that he was able to keep a solid K/BB ratio even with some of the struggles of the second half.

#158 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:24 PM

I am expecting him to be a 4th starter.

I think that is fair.

Earlier in the off-season, I was thinking I might have interest in seeing the club tack a year on to his deal. I hadn't realized at the time that the O's have the '15 club option.

#159 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:51 PM

I really tend to believe Chen is basically the pitcher we saw last year. I don't think youre likely to see much regression or progression. Thats a good thing though as I'll take his '12 all day and be happy.

#160 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:05 AM

Boston Herald: Chen wants to be more competitive
http://bostonherald....ore_competitive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=