#181 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:33 AM

Making his first outing since May 12th, Chen went 5 innings last night for Bowie. He allowed 5 hits, 4 er, 2 bb's, with 5 k's.

Will be interesting to see if he gets another start at AA, or joins the O's to face Chicago Thursday, or NY Friday.

I think they bring him up....but I think they can wait one more start. Britton has been good enough to allow this.

#182 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:20 PM

@EddieInTheYard: Wei-Yin Chen is done. 7IP, 4H, 0R, 0ER, 3K, 0BB, 89 pitches/55 strikes in his 2nd minor league rehab start for Double-A Bowie. #Orioles
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#183 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,757 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:50 AM

Awesome, he'll be back next week.  That really solidifies the rotation.

Hammel better be looking over his shoulder.  Both Britton and Gausman have pitched well enough recently to be perfectly acceptable options in the rotation.  If Hammel continues to pitch like garbage, we've got alternatives.  Can't let Hammel have too long of a rope.

#184 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:54 AM

Great to see. He's ready. This is going to be great for the team.

• BobPhelan likes this

#185 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:50 PM

Getting the start Wednesday.

#186 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:39 AM

Glad to see Chen back in the rotation. Him and Feldman are going to add help add consistent and depth to the staff.

Making his first start since 5/12, Chen enters tonight:

2013: 3-3, 3.04 era, 4.72 xFIP, 47.1 ip, 45 hits, 3 hr's, 12 bb's, 27 k's, .667 OPS against, 0.49 G/F

#187 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:37 PM

I think it is very important to get Chen back...the team needs a boost right now and hopefully he will provide it. He is probably our best starter...and the down time may help him last longer this year.  he did wear down last year so maybe he is stronger in September.

@mikeghg

#188 Thyrl

Thyrl
  • Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:58 PM

Hey kid, get yourself together

Chen is throwing darts and the O’s are flashing leather

He’s gonna make you beat your balls tonight into the ground

You’re going to see electric curves and sinkers digging down

Oh Cano and Teixeira have you seen them yet?

Yeah but they just struck out

Ch-Ch-Ch Chenny and the Birds

Oh he deals and he fields and he’s wonderful

Chenny he’s a real machine

His pitches baffle bats, he’s got a glove to match

I saw it on my HDTV Scree-eeen oh-oh

Hey dude, don’t you know it’s hopeless?

A savvy southpaw slinger with a sink that’s tough to cope with

I think you might just want to take your lumps and move along

No matter how hard you try it’s just the same old song

Oh Papi and Pedroia have you seen them yet?

Oh Zobrist and Longo have you seen them yet?

Chenny…Chenny and the Birds

Chenny…Chenny…Chenny, Chenny and the Birds

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@Thyrl

#189 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:01 AM

Chen went 7 innings last night. In those 7 innings, he allowed 3 hits, the 1 er, 3 bb's, with 4 k's.
The outing was a great replication of what Chen provided during 2012... he pitched, made adjustments, and gave the O's some innings.

#190 Matt

Matt

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:02 PM

Does he go through arbitration rules after his contract is up or is he a free agent?

#191 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:24 PM

Does he go through arbitration rules after his contract is up or is he a free agent?

I'm not 100% sure, but according to this - https://docs.google....eEE&output=html Looks like we have him through '14 with an option for '15, and then he'd be a FA in '16.

• Matt likes this

#192 Matt

Matt

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:38 PM

That's what I thought but my Dad called me a little while ago and showed me this site where it says he isn't a free agent until 2018.

http://baseballplaye...02_Wei-Yin_Chen

#193 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:46 PM

That's what I thought but my Dad called me a little while ago and showed me this site where it says he isn't a free agent until 2018.

http://baseballplaye...02_Wei-Yin_Chen

I don't think that is accurate. I think Ricker's link is right..  2015: $4.75 million club option ($0.372 million buyout).  I feel like we've confirmed this before, but I can't seem to find it, will keep looking.

#194 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:49 PM

I don't think that is accurate. I think Ricker's link is right..  2015: $4.75 million club option ($0.372 million buyout).  I feel like we've confirmed this before, but I can't seem to find it, will keep looking.

Yeah, I really need to study up on the international signings. When is it that we get 6 years of control, vs. not. I'm pretty confused about it, which is my fault of course. Thanks for looking into this.

With this scenario, it's possible that while we signed him to a 4-year deal (3 years + the 4th year Option), that years 5 and 6 are still controlled by the O's, but that it'd either be a new contract, or arb years. I'm just not sure how it works.

#195 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,757 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:10 PM

Yeah, I really need to study up on the international signings. When is it that we get 6 years of control, vs. not. I'm pretty confused about it, which is my fault of course. Thanks for looking into this.

With this scenario, it's possible that while we signed him to a 4-year deal (3 years + the 4th year Option), that years 5 and 6 are still controlled by the O's, but that it'd either be a new contract, or arb years. I'm just not sure how it works.

Most Japaense FA have it put into their contract that the team cannot offer them arbitration after the contract terms are up.

The players aren't exempt from the service time qualifications that domestically drafted players are under, but the standard is that they becoem FAs after their deals are up because of specific language in the contracts.

I'm 99.9% certain that we'll have Chen for next year and then will have a very reasonable option for 2015 and then he'll be a free agent.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#196 Matt

Matt

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:49 AM

Well, either way I think they should look at signing him to a 5 year deal. Pay him a little more the next two years than he would be getting in his current deal in order to pay him a little less in years 3, 4, and 5.

#197 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:37 AM

Well, either way I think they should look at signing him to a 5 year deal. Pay him a little more the next two years than he would be getting in his current deal in order to pay him a little less in years 3, 4, and 5.

Yeah, I think this is worth exploring. He turns 28 on July 21st. A 5 year deal starting next year would be for his 29-33 seasons. Certainly reasonable for us, before he starts declining rapidly. Is he comfortable with Baltimore? Hopefully we've been accomodative of him. I'm just interested in if he'd be interested in it, or if he has any childhood dreams of playing in a big market by Asia's terms (Like New York/LA, etc.).

#198 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:45 AM

I'd wait until after the 2014 season then offer a two or three year deal. If he declines just pick up the 2015 option.

#199 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:38 AM

Chen gained the win last night with another quality outing.

6-3, 2.87 era, 4.46 xFIP, 75.1 ip, 70 hits, 5 hr's, 18 bb's, 46 k's, .654 OPS against, GB% 33.9

#200 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:23 PM

7 strong for Chen tonight...  came up with a quality start when the O's needed it.

7ip, 6 hits, 2 er, 2 hr's, 3 bb's, 3 k's

98 pitches, 58 strikes...  11 grounders, 4 fly balls.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=