SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:59 PM

I keep Hammel.

I look to trade both JJs, Lindstrom, Gregg, Reynolds and Betimet.

#142 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:50 PM

Depends what you can get for him, don't they only have one more year of him? So if we're not moving him this year, aren't we moving him next year assuming he wouldn't agree to a team-friendly extension? And the package, we'd get for him next year, probably wouldn't be as good.

The only way I'd definitely keep him is if they are realistically competing next year anyway.
@levineps

#143 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:28 AM

I clicked on this thread, expecting to see comments about how the guy did tonight... and I find myself reading stuff that doesn't make any sense... and then I see it's a thread from ~2 months ago. Huh?

Is there a policy about having just one mega-thread per guy and everything about him gets funneled into it? Seems pretty weird to me, but I guess there's a reason for it. Dunno what it is though. Maybe it's a reaction to how things work at another place that always has umpteen threads that started within 30 minutes of each other, all demanding that the team punish anybody who has a bad night or two?

I'm mainly just curious... although it is kind of a drag to have to go hunting around to find the starting place for recent posts about anybody... (NBFD, just my 2 cents, that's all...)
  • Pedro Cerrano likes this

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#144 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,500 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:38 AM

I clicked on this thread, expecting to see comments about how the guy did tonight... and I find myself reading stuff that doesn't make any sense... and then I see it's a thread from ~2 months ago. Huh?

Is there a policy about having just one mega-thread per guy and everything about him gets funneled into it? Seems pretty weird to me, but I guess there's a reason for it. Dunno what it is though. Maybe it's a reaction to how things work at another place that always has umpteen threads that started within 30 minutes of each other, all demanding that the team punish anybody who has a bad night or two?

I'm mainly just curious... although it is kind of a drag to have to go hunting around to find the starting place for recent posts about anybody... (NBFD, just my 2 cents, that's all...)

There is a thread (now locked) in the Introduction section, 'Something that bugs me,' which provides background on this. Others have shared your sentiment, so we will make an adjustment.

#145 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:13 AM

http://www.baltimore... ... 5471.story

#146 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,562 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:20 AM

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-orioles-starter-jason-hammel-jays-took-strong-swings-on-breaking-balls-like-they-knew-they-were-coming-20120530,0,3125471.story

From that article:

“When you’re locating your fastball, youre going to give up some home runs there, but the swings they were taking on he breaking stuff, it was pretty amazing to me,” Hammel said. “I don’t think you can take swings like that not knowing they’re coming. I don’t know. That’s all I can say.

“There’s rumors and things like that,” he said. “I don’t know. I can’t speak on that, but they were taking very, very big strong hacks on breaking stuff.

“It was something I’ve never seen before.”

The Jays are sporting a .803 OPS at home vs. a .660 OPS on the road, FWIW.

#147 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:31 AM

Doesn't matter...Hammel was off with his fb command last night. That's why he "struggled".

No worries at all though. Knee appeared to be a lot better and his stuff was still very good. Just had an off night with command which isn't that surprising since he is probably spending more off time working on his knee in comparison to working on his delivery, stuff, etc....

#148 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,386 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:38 AM

Doesn't matter...Hammel was off with his fb command last night. That's why he "struggled".

No worries at all though. Knee appeared to be a lot better and his stuff was still very good. Just had an off night with command which isn't that surprising since he is probably spending more off time working on his knee in comparison to working on his delivery, stuff, etc....

His knee could be WHY his command was off. The landing and your release happen right about the same time, if he was worried about the knee or trying to favor it, it could have been throwing off his release point, which would mess up his command.
@JeremyMStrain

#149 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:40 AM

His knee could be WHY his command was off. The landing and your release happen right about the same time, if he was worried about the knee or trying to favor it, it could have been throwing off his release point, which would mess up his command.

Yea, certainly possible.

#150 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,562 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:01 AM

I agree. I actually would have preferred he not go there with the media. If he felt something suspicious was up, he should have let Buck escalate it through the appropriate channels. It doesn't look right when you're using that an excuse with the media. Dare I say, it's Girardi'esque.

#151 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:04 AM

He is better than a #3.

Well that depends on how real the "new" Hammel and his 2-seamer are. He has been dynamite with it early in the year and I totally agree that if it's legitimately changed his repertoire that much, then he's better than a #3.

Even if he regresses a bit, 2 years of him is absolutely worth one year of Jeremy Guthrie, though. And Lindstrom is a great throw in. For a trade nobody was excited about, it's worked out quite well so far.

#152 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,500 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:26 PM

Getting Blanked: Fogging the Measure: The Hammel Variations
http://blogs.thescor...mel-variations/

#153 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,500 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:35 AM

Back on the mound tonight at Boston.

For the year, Hammel is 6-2, with a 3.06 era. In his 61.2 ip, he has allowed 54 hits, 7 hr's, 19 bb's, with 58 k's. His OPS against is .673, and his G/F is 1.18.

#154 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,562 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:51 AM

At Fenway, it's more important than ever to get groundballs. Let's hope Hammel can settle in tonight and keep the ball down. We sure could use a great start from him.

#155 Natty_O

Natty_O
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:39 AM

Has anyone heard how his knee is doing? It improved after it was drained and we got one good start followed by one ok start (alleged sign stealing aside). After his last start, there was some scuttle that his knee regressed, but nobody can/will officially comment on it. Does anyone have any insight?
@BaltimoreNate

#156 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:41 AM

Has anyone heard how his knee is doing? It improved after it was drained and we got one good start followed by one ok start (alleged sign stealing aside). After his last start, there was some scuttle that his knee regressed, but nobody can/will officially comment on it. Does anyone have any insight?

Yea, I saw Adair kind of hint that the issue was flaring up again.

They need to DL him if he can't get through it.

I imagine tonight's start will tell the story.

#157 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,702 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:51 AM

Last start was a complete fluke IMO. 4 solo HRs to a team that OPSes that much higher at home leaves my head scratching.

The Sox are likely again without Pedroia but they're playing good baseball. If Hammel is still bothered by the knee they're gonna have to DL him and he can join the rest of the team in the hospital ward.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#158 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:19 AM

Last start was a complete fluke IMO. 4 solo HRs to a team that OPSes that much higher at home leaves my head scratching.

The Sox are likely again without Pedroia but they're playing good baseball. If Hammel is still bothered by the knee they're gonna have to DL him and he can join the rest of the team in the hospital ward.

I don't think it was a complete fluke at all, as you noted Tor OPSes much higher at home. For it to be a fluke, it would have to happen out of nowhere.
@levineps

#159 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,500 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:39 AM

Hammel on the mound today. In Toronto he let up 4 homers. In Boston, he needed 106 pitches to get through 5 innings. Lots of deep counts. I want to see him pound the strike zone, and get ahead. Force the Phillies to swing, and eat up their bats with the 2 seamer.

#160 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:10 PM

Hammel on the mound today. In Toronto he let up 4 homers. In Boston, he needed 106 pitches to get through 5 innings. Lots of deep counts. I want to see him pound the strike zone, and get ahead. Force the Phillies to swing, and eat up their bats with the 2 seamer.

Didn't happen but nice job giving the team some clean innings after the horrendous start to the game.

Well I hear Linda Ronstadt is looking for a guitar player.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=