• Please log in to reply
397 replies to this topic

#101 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,265 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:10 AM

Looking forward to seeing Hammel tonight, in his 3rd start after being skipped. His stuff has been there (at-least early on) in each of the previous two outings, he has just tired out. Is he able to go a bit longer tonight, or does it become obvious he is going to need some time off to totally heal/rehab?

Against the free-swinging Royals, I'd hope for a pitch efficient outing, that allows him to go 7+.

#102 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,265 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:47 PM

Hammel finished with 6 ip tonight, allowing 5 hits, 0 er, 1 bb, with 7 k's. He threw 104 pitches, 68 for strikes. The Royals hit 6 grounders against him.

#103 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:57 PM

We all scoffed when Hammel said he wanted to win 20 games this season, but as we get close to 2 months in, he's tied for the AL lead in wins with 6. If I was a betting man, I still doubt he gets to 20, but 15 or 16 would not surprise me at all.

@AdamWolff

#104 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,379 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:12 PM

We all scoffed when Hammel said he wanted to win 20 games this season, but as we get close to 2 months in, he's tied for the AL lead in wins with 6. If I was a betting man, I still doubt he gets to 20, but 15 or 16 would not surprise me at all.

We also thought the team was only going to win 70 so him winning more than 1/4 of them seemed like a stretch. If they win 90 games, it's not that outrageous to think...but I think you're right and he ends up around 15.
@JeremyMStrain

#105 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:15 PM

Still missing a lot of bats.

I brought it up in the game thread but maybe we talk to him about an extension?

#106 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,379 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:27 PM

Still missing a lot of bats.

I brought it up in the game thread but maybe we talk to him about an extension?

Hating on Jones extending after a hot stretch but it's ok for Hammel? Just kidding...sorta. I would want to see him make it to the break first and would think about 2 years or so, kind of a risk to go more right now.
@JeremyMStrain

#107 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:38 PM

I would give him a 2 year 15-17m extension...12-15m option year for third year.

#108 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:39 PM

Hating on Jones extending after a hot stretch but it's ok for Hammel? Just kidding...sorta. I would want to see him make it to the break first and would think about 2 years or so, kind of a risk to go more right now.

Hammel has had 2 years of WAR much higher than anything Jones has done. ;)

#109 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,379 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:47 PM

Hammel has had 2 years of WAR much higher than anything Jones has done. ;)

Blah blah, WAR is flawed, and doesn't tell really accurate pictures from pitchers to position players. :)

Compare Jones to other CF and compare Hammel to other SP, but not to each other. If Hammel is your 4/5 starter, you are looking good. If Matusz/Britton can outperform him, Bundy comes through, and we add another #1/2 SP in FA, he'd be a killer #5. Wouldn't want to have a Lannan situation on our hands though.
@JeremyMStrain

#110 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,890 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:58 AM

I'd probably wait until after the year with Hammel and see where things are then, but wouldn't be opposed to a type of extension like SG is talking about right now.

#111 Ovechkin8

Ovechkin8
  • Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 09:10 AM

What's his contract status? What's he making this year?
God hates Caps fans

#112 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 26 May 2012 - 09:25 AM

I'd probably wait until after the year with Hammel and see where things are then, but wouldn't be opposed to a type of extension like SG is talking about right now.

I wouldn't be opposed if it's not crazy. An average annual value of ~8 million a year would be extremely reasonable. The consistent K's are promising. He forces a ton of groundballs, which is a recipe for success at Camden Yards. His recent struggles can be blamed on his knee. You can tell he's favoring it after about 80 pitches. Honestly, once Britton comes back, I'd put Hammel on the DL just to make sure his knee problem doesn't turn into something that would sideline him for an extensive period of time.

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

#113 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,511 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 May 2012 - 09:27 AM

I wouldn't be opposed if it's not crazy. An average annual value of ~8 million a year would be extremely reasonable. The consistent K's are promising. He forces a ton of groundballs, which is a recipe for success at Camden Yards. His recent struggles can be blamed on his knee. You can tell he's favoring it after about 80 pitches. Honestly, once Britton comes back, I'd put Hammel on the DL just to make sure his knee problem doesn't turn into something that would sideline him for an extensive period of time.

I was at the game and obviously missed it - but that's very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Not a bad idea to try to get him some more rest. Britton's return is logical because we don't want to give up wins in the process. (Otherwise I may have tried to skip his turn with the off day Thursday and the off day next week.)

#114 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 26 May 2012 - 09:28 AM

He is making $3 million this year, $4.75 million next year. After that I believe he is a free agent.

@BaltimoreDavey

#115 Ovechkin8

Ovechkin8
  • Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 09:51 AM

He is making $3 million this year, $4.75 million next year. After that I believe he is a free agent.

If he's willing to take 2 yrs 12 mil I'd give it to him today. Otherwise I'd wait to see what he does for an entire season
God hates Caps fans

#116 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:10 AM

If he's willing to take 2 yrs 12 mil I'd give it to him today. Otherwise I'd wait to see what he does for an entire season

I agree. If he keeps getting strikeouts and ground balls, definitely hang on to him. He's a pretty good blue print of the pitchers the Orioles need to look at. Guys who can strike guys out and guys who force ground balls. Fly balls in Camden Yards = BAD (see: Jeremy Guthrie). Chen's a special situation because most of his fly balls are actually pop ups due to him jamming hitters.

@BaltimoreDavey

#117 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,265 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:04 AM

Bordick relayed in the game last night that Hammel is doing conditioning work in the pool and the knee is getting stronger.

#118 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:09 AM

Bordick relayed in the game last night that Hammel is doing conditioning work in the pool and the knee is getting stronger.

It did look noticeably better (is that sort of redundant?) last night. But he was still favoring it quite a bit.

@BaltimoreDavey

#119 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 May 2012 - 12:50 PM

Blah blah, WAR is flawed, and doesn't tell really accurate pictures from pitchers to position players. :)

Compare Jones to other CF and compare Hammel to other SP, but not to each other. If Hammel is your 4/5 starter, you are looking good. If Matusz/Britton can outperform him, Bundy comes through, and we add another #1/2 SP in FA, he'd be a killer #5. Wouldn't want to have a Lannan situation on our hands though.

Hammel is a TOR starter right now and with his stuff and peripherals, that doesn't appear to be changing anytime soon.

#120 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 May 2012 - 03:00 PM

Hammer said he had less soreness in his knee after his last start than he has had after recent starts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=