#382 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:07 PM

Hammel is a gamer. I've liked his attitude and mindset since he got here. Last year was special, he battled through knee injuries to come back for the playoffs. This year has been a struggle. I can't imagine how he felt when he learned of the Norris acquisition. I wish him well in whatever role he finds himself in, looks like he's still an Oriole, so I hope he finds a way to provide value out of the pen. He has had good stuff in innings every outing, just not consistent. 

#383 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:10 PM

Hammel DL'ed, per Mel Antonen/

#384 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:10 PM

I wonder if he'll pitch here again. Maybe in September.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#385 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:09 AM

MASN: Hammel talks about his outing at Bowie
http://www.masnsport...t-at-bowie.html

#386 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:50 AM

I'd work him back in the bullpen first.  If someone gets hurt or really starts struggling in the rotation, I may consider going to Hammel before Gausman, but that would depend on how both of them pitch in the immediate future.

#387 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:20 AM

I'd work him back in the bullpen first.  If someone gets hurt or really starts struggling in the rotation, I may consider going to Hammel before Gausman, but that would depend on how both of them pitch in the immediate future.

Yeah, I'd be surprised to see him start, but I think he will add another viable arm out of the pen.

#388 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:32 AM

If he has been battling injuries all year and he's now 100 percent, I would let him start. I'd take my chances with a healthy Hammel over Feldman. I might take Gausman over both though.

#389 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:38 AM

If he has been battling injuries all year and he's now 100 percent, I would let him start. I'd take my chances with a healthy Hammel over Feldman. I might take Gausman over both though.

If you believe that the injury was what caused all of his troubles, I've got a bridge to sell you.  He was bad from Day 1, pitching almost exactly like he has the entire rest of his career aside from 2012.  I'm sure the injury had some effect, especially later on in the season, but a perfectly healthy Hammel would also have been kicked out of the rotation.

2012 was a mirage.  Never to be repeated again for him, IMO.

#390 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:39 AM

Tell me more about this bridge. I agree that it's unlikely.

#391 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:40 AM

If you believe that the injury was what caused all of his troubles, I've got a bridge to sell you.  He was bad from Day 1, pitching almost exactly like he has the entire rest of his career aside from 2012.  I'm sure the injury had some effect, especially later on in the season, but a perfectly healthy Hammel would also have been kicked out of the rotation.

2012 was a mirage.  Never to be repeated again for him, IMO.

I don't know if he will be able to replicate 2012 again or not, but what he showed in those 20 starts was not a mirage. This wasn't Josh Towers coming up and having an unbelievable month with smoke and mirrors. It was a guy showing excellent stuff over 20 starts. That ability is there somewhere.

#392 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:53 AM

I don't know if he will be able to replicate 2012 again or not, but what he showed in those 20 starts was not a mirage. This wasn't Josh Towers coming up and having an unbelievable month with smoke and mirrors. It was a guy showing excellent stuff over 20 starts. That ability is there somewhere.

The ability is there, but the consistency is not.  It was a career year.  He's not capable of repeating it.

#393 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:56 AM

The ability is there, but the consistency is not.  It was a career year.  He's not capable of repeating it.

Yea, I disagree here.

He wasn't some lucky pitcher last year...He had outstanding stuff and his stuff has looked completely different this year.

That has nothing to do with consistency or things like that...Why did the stuff disappear?

For me to say he can't be that pitcher again, I need to see the stuff back and him not pitching well.

#394 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:04 AM

He wasn't some lucky pitcher last year...He had outstanding stuff and his stuff has looked completely different this year.

I didn't say he was lucky.  I said he was unsustainably consistent last year.

He's got great stuff at times, but isn't able to maintain it over a longer stretch.  Except for last season.  It was a season without a slump for him (or half season).  He'll have starts where he looks great again, but he won't have full months or seasons where he's got his best stuff and an ability to command it.  That was the mirage.

#395 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:31 PM

He hasn't had anywhere close to the same stuff this year...when he gets that back, then we can discuss if that was a fluke or not last year.

Until then, it's an apples to oranges comp.

#396 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:57 PM

According to the MLB Network ticker, Hammel is pitching on Friday instead of Norris.

Over/under on the # of runs he gives up tomorrow against Toronto?

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#397 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:08 PM

Over/Under at 4... I'll go under. I think he goes 6 and gives up 3.

#398 Matt

Matt

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:42 PM

Really not thrilled about him pitching tomorrow night. At least Redmond is pitching for Toronto. Hopefully E5 won't play.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=