#62 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:56 PM

So what exactly was the result? Since all five skaters were in the box for majors, did they run five minutes off the clock?

I never got an answer to my question :P

@DJ_McCann

#63 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:52 PM

CBS Sports: Report: Expanded replay to be discussed at GM meetings in March

http://www.cbssports...etings-in-march

@levineps

#64 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:36 PM

CBS Sports; Stadium Series: Weather forecast in LA calls for low of 50, no rain

http://www.cbssports...w-of-50-no-rain

The game will drop the puck at 7 p.m. Pacific Time after the sun goes down to keep the temperatures cooler but the biggest factor is the lack of rain. Percepitation would be a bigger problem than slightly warmer temperatures. In fact, the temperatures being consistent this time of year has helped, even if it's slightly warmer than you'd expect to be condusive for the purposes of good ice.

@levineps

#65 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:52 PM

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#66 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:11 AM

Playing a hockey game in LA when it's nearly 60 degrees at night, just isn't the same as the games when it's in teens with snow falling.

• DuffMan likes this
@levineps

#67 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:30 AM

Playing a hockey game in LA when it's nearly 60 degrees at night, just isn't the same as the games when it's in teens with snow falling.

The first idea I heard for an LA Winter Classic game was on Bill Simmons' podcast just after the original, and he said they should do one right on the beach at Malibu.

That's really what they need to be doing. When the snow isn't the story, there has to be a hook. Dodger Stadium on it's own isn't that. That's why I thought they should do the one in Washington right on the Mall.

@DJ_McCann

#68 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:52 AM

The first idea I heard for an LA Winter Classic game was on Bill Simmons' podcast just after the original, and he said they should do one right on the beach at Malibu.

That's really what they need to be doing. When the snow isn't the story, there has to be a hook. Dodger Stadium on it's own isn't that. That's why I thought they should do the one in Washington right on the Mall.

The players were playing soccer earlier in flip flops on the field I was reading.

I do agree with those who pointed out the irony of playing hockey outdoors in LA while playing an open-air Super Bowl in NJ a week later.

It's a cool idea to do the WC on the mall, but the NHL would never go for it. Leonsis wrote out the reasons here.

The game must be played in a stadium or an arena that has security; locker rooms; public facilities; medical staff and appropriate health care stations; can house ushers; can serve food and provide customer services; and provides all the amenities delivered to the players, the fans and the staff during a regular season game. The facility must have appropriate levels of lighting and power to be able to serve the fans as well as the media and all of the sponsors.

@levineps

#69 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:01 AM

The players were playing soccer earlier in flip flops on the field I was reading.

I do agree with those who pointed out the irony of playing hockey outdoors in LA while playing an open-air Super Bowl in NJ a week later.

It's a cool idea to do the WC on the mall, but the NHL would never go for it. Leonsis wrote out the reasons here.

Much of that assumes you need a crowd. And the rest can be set up temporarily and would be much easier to secure.

@DJ_McCann

#70 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:04 AM

Much of that assumes you need a crowd. And the rest can be set up temporarily and would be much easier to secure.

The NHL isn't going for it, so it doesn't really matter. They want it at a real venue. The season ticket holders from the Caps and likely their opponent want to be there and sit in real seats, eat real food. The suiteholders and other corporate sponsors want the same treatment as well. Also, as the area is managed by the National Park Service, that's another hurdle.

@levineps

#71 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:12 PM

In the middle of a "sun glare" delay at Yankee Stadium. We need more outdoor games, hockey fans aren't used to games being delayed.

@levineps

#72 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:43 PM

^Ugh, how many times are they gonna keep mentioning that this Yankee Stadium is where Ruth played or where Ali fought?

Because..................it isn't.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#73 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:58 PM

^Ugh, how many times are they gonna keep mentioning that this Yankee Stadium is where Ruth played or where Ali fought?

Because..................it isn't.

They did say "neighborhood" at one point. Given that the stadiums are close to each other, similar in style, have the most legendary team as it's tenants, and have the same name, I think it's natural for many to try to go with the continuation angle instead of the fact they are separate venues.

@levineps

#74 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 January 2014 - 02:45 PM

Why the Rangers are the "road team" (New York Times)

The reason seems to lie in the special exemption that has freed Madison Square Garden from paying property taxes since 1982.

A provision of that 1982 agreement stipulates that if the Rangers or the Knicks play a home game outside the Garden, the exemption is forfeited. The city’s Independent Budget Office said last fall that the exemption was worth $17.3 million in fiscal 2014. The 1982 state law granting the Garden a pass on paying taxes stated it “shall continue with respect to such property as long as both of said teams play their home games therein and no longer.”

The law went on to say, “If one or both of said teams shall cease to play their home games in said property at any time, the tax exemption provided herein shall cease immediately and said property shall immediately be restored to the tax rolls.”

@levineps

#75 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:37 PM

ESPN: Martin Brodeur blasts ice quality

http://espn.go.com/n...-was-worst-ever

Said Brodeur: "... It was the worst ice I ever played hockey on."

@levineps

#76 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,328 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:48 PM

ESPN: Martin Brodeur blasts ice quality

http://espn.go.com/n...-was-worst-ever

I'm not surprised, I watched the whole game and it looked bad.  Both the goalies seemed to be having trouble maneuvering on it, although Lundqvist pretty much got it together after the first period.  I don't understand why the league is pushing for outdoor hockey games.

#77 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:57 PM

I'm not surprised, I watched the whole game and it looked bad.  Both the goalies seemed to be having trouble maneuvering on it, although Lundqvist pretty much got it together after the first period.  I don't understand why the league is pushing for outdoor hockey games.

Because, like everything else involving Gary Bettman, if it's worth doing it's worth overdoing.

@DJ_McCann

#78 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:05 PM

To bring in more casual fans and those who wouldn't watch a typical regular season or even postseason game?

I said this when the Stadium Series was first announced that I thought they were overdoing this. Once a year is fine (two if you include a Canadian game) -- but I think the novelty is going to wear off from a national perspective at the very least if they are doing 3-4 of them a year.

@levineps

#79 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,328 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:25 PM

To bring in more casual fans and those who wouldn't watch a typical regular season or even postseason game?

I said this when the Stadium Series was first announced that I thought they were overdoing this. Once a year is fine (two if you include a Canadian game) -- but I think the novelty is going to wear off from a national perspective at the very least if they are doing 3-4 of them a year.

I just think it presents a lesser product.  There always seems to be issues with the ice.  And even the people who go to the games, you're so far away from the action.  Part of the fun, at least in the games I've gone to, is seeing the guys get slammed against the glass in front of you.

#80 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:45 PM

I just think it presents a lesser product.  There always seems to be issues with the ice.  And even the people who go to the games, you're so far away from the action.  Part of the fun, at least in the games I've gone to, is seeing the guys get slammed against the glass in front of you.

I'm guessing from your posts, you are traditional hockey fan and clearly you aren't who the NHL targeting. It's a delicate balance the NHL has here with trying to reign in fans and keeping the sanctity of the game.

@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=