HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:08 AM

CBS Sports: Stadium Series: Expect more outdoor games, Coors wants Denver

http://www.cbssports...rs-wants-denver

San Jose has been talked about for a while with people assuming it would be in nearby San Francisco. Columbus would be cool with Ohio State's Horseshoe. We've seen Boston at Fenway Park before but the city is an excellent hockey market. Minnesota is the State of Hockey and will get a game at some point, whether it's sooner or later. And after seeing the NHL go to LA without a hitch, there's no reason why Phoenix can't be an option, especially with retractable roofs at their disposal.

Playing these games under roofs defeats the purpose IMO even moreso than holding it at Dodger Stadium. It just like playing basketball games in domes -- bigger capacity and more sterile.

But perhaps the most locked-in city of all has to be Denver with the Avalanche. Let's not forget, this is the Coors Light Stadium Series we're talking about and if you've ever seen their trains driving through your television screen, you know Coors is based in Colorado.

This makes all the sense in the world.

@levineps

#82 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:01 AM

http://espn.go.com/n...lockbuster-deal

This seems big...

@DJ_McCann

#83 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:05 PM

Sabres Trade Ryan Miller, Forced To Dress Former Video Guy As Backup

The NHL requires that all teams dress a backup goalie, so with Miller no longer a Sabre and Halak not yet with the team, Buffalo scrambled to fill the spot. With the clock ticking, he had to be local and he had to be available. This eventually led the team to Vinz, who at least had some experience with goaltending. He tried to walk on to his college team, but didn't make it. In 2003.

@DJ_McCann

#84 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:09 PM

^ I've read about that happening a few times before. I think the Caps have done this in the past.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#85 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:53 PM

^ I've read about that happening a few times before. I think the Caps have done this in the past.

Sort of like the Cowboys signing Jon Kitna for one game last year. It would have to take a lot for this situation to actually happen.

@levineps

#86 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:30 PM

Yeah, the Caps did it last year.

Sort of like the Cowboys signing Jon Kitna for one game last year. It would have to take a lot for this situation to actually happen.

Well, at least Kitna has a history of playing in the NFL. The Sabres didn't sign Dominick Hashek :P

This would be like the Ravens needing an emergency quarterback and signing a guy from the training staff who played quarterback at Dunbar but never again in organized sports.

@DJ_McCann

#87 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:36 PM

CBS SportsReport: Martin Brodeur to make one more Devils start before likely trade

The unthinkable may be about to happen. The New Jersey Devils and Minnesota Wild have agreed on a deal that would send legendary goalie Martin Brodeur to Minnesota according to a report from the New York Daily News. The deal is pending Brodeur's approval.

There is a little wrinkle in this deal according to the Daily News report, however, as the Montreal Canadiens could be another possible destination after Brodeur makes what would be his last Devils start on Tuesday.

@levineps

#88 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:37 PM

The Caps should be in on Brodeur. 

#89 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:44 PM

The Caps should be in on Brodeur. 

Goalie is still not their problem ;)

But there are a few players they should be in on, especially with 3 NHL quality players demanding trades.

@JeremyMStrain

#90 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:47 PM

Goalie is still not their problem ;)

But there are a few players they should be in on, especially with 3 NHL quality players demanding trades.

It isn't the main problem, but it's a problem for sure. They give up way too many long distance cheapies that Holtby should be stopping. The system and the D runs him out to dry, but I have no doubts that a guy like Brodeur would increase the Caps hopes of making a legit cup run exponentially.

#91 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:50 PM

I was interested in the whole, ending his career with another team. He's been in the organization for nearly 25 years. Closest equivalent I can come up with is if Ripken were to be traded in the middle of the 2001 season.

I don't think being in another organization for a relatively small amount of time is going to matter in the end. Is it a big deal, Johnny Unitas played for the Rams?

@levineps

#92 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:52 PM

I was interested in the whole, ending his career with another team. He's been in the organization for nearly 25 years. Closest equivalent I can come up with is if Ripken were to be traded in the middle of the 2001 season.

I don't think being in another organization for a relatively small amount of time is going to matter in the end. Is it a big deal, Johnny Unitas played for the Rams?

It's a pretty big deal - tonight will be special for him given it's a home game. They'll send him out with a roar like he deserves.

#93 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:59 PM

It isn't the main problem, but it's a problem for sure. They give up way too many long distance cheapies that Holtby should be stopping. The system and the D runs him out to dry, but I have no doubts that a guy like Brodeur would increase the Caps hopes of making a legit cup run exponentially.

Still don't agree at all. It's hard to call a long distance goal a cheapie when there are 3 guys standing in front of him not paying attention to the puck and he never sees it. (As we've seen with all 3 of our goalies, this isn't a one person problem, which should tell you something). A lot of people just want to write it off and say oh well all 3 of these goalies must suck, but it's far from that.

Martin is far from what he once was, and would be worse than any of the 3 we have now.

I watched the past 2 games and saw a lot of the same problems, but the difference in the Flyers game is that players were reacting to physical play and making stupid mistakes. PHI was intentionally going after Wilson from the puck drop, and later Orlov too, they knew what they were doing.

Getting the 4-5 guys on the roster that don't belong there would be a big start. Kuznetsov going to LW on the top line could start a nice trickle down, MoJo to 2nd line with Grabs and Brouwer? Laich centering the 3rd with Chims and Ward? Fehr to the 4th with Wilson and Beagle? Doesn't help the terrible defensemen issue though.

• DuffMan likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#94 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:00 PM

It's a pretty big deal - tonight will be special for him given it's a home game. They'll send him out with a roar like he deserves.

Not exactly what I meant, but I don't disagree with what your feelings here. Going along with my Cal example, if the O's said in July 2001 they were trading him but allowing him to play one final game, I'm sure, fans would treat it as a big deal. A more recent example would be Jeter with the Yankees, it's unimaginable to me, but never say never as the cliche goes.

What I was going for was Brodeur's overall legacy of not playing for a single organization. Sure, you want a player of that caliber to end up like George Brett, Darrell Green, or Reggie Miller but that doesn't usually happen.

@levineps

#95 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:02 PM

Holtby is 37th in GAA and 41st in SV%. If he were just giving up goals proportionate to the number of shots the bad D allows, that'd be one thing, but that's not the case. There are a lot of screens and such and noise around the net, but that's really not a lot different than other teams. We definitely could use some better DMen, no doubt about that - but upgrading at goalie would help significantly. I guess we'll agree to disagree. I'll say I've only missed maybe 4-5 games this season, and I'm very confident in my take on the situation. 

#96 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:48 PM

Holtby is 37th in GAA and 41st in SV%. If he were just giving up goals proportionate to the number of shots the bad D allows, that'd be one thing, but that's not the case. There are a lot of screens and such and noise around the net, but that's really not a lot different than other teams. We definitely could use some better DMen, no doubt about that - but upgrading at goalie would help significantly. I guess we'll agree to disagree. I'll say I've only missed maybe 4-5 games this season, and I'm very confident in my take on the situation. 

I know you are coming from a good place making that call, but there are tiny little details to consider too. Like the fact that the higher # of shots you face, the worse your numbers get. It's just how goalies work. This is why goalies move from team to team, or guys come out of nowhere to be AWESOME all the time. Cause you look at numbers and go oh this guy is some trash, but then you move him into a good system, or get some better defensemen in front of him and all of a sudden it's like WHOA. Think Tim Thomas, Craig Anderson, even Olie from year to year with the Caps.

You look at TOR, BUF and COL all are giving up similar shots per game, and have similar save %. Look at the higher sv% and they are all lower shots per game. Call it getting winded, or whatever, goalies just can't stand on their head backwards for all 60 min, and if they are giving up a ton of shots, eventually they are going to give up a bunch at the back end of a game, which ties into all those 2 goal leads they give up late in a game. I wish you could break it down and see, but I'm sure he's not giving up 3 goals on 3 shots late in a game, they probably lead the league in shots given up in the 3rd period, as the goalies are tired from so many shots, and the top D are tired from so many shifts, relying on the garbage D guys who shouldn't be out there late in a game.

Different views, but it's cool, you're still my boy.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#97 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:17 AM

Just watched this for the first time.  And if you already don't want to slug the Crybaby, this'll make ya want to.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#98 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:21 AM

Regarding Holtby: He's 12th in the league in save percentage at even strength despite having a defense that is complete garbage. He ain't the issue. The fact that all of our goalies are seeing a ton of shots is far more concerning to me. Fix that, and the goalies look better. 

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

#99 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:24 PM

Awful AnnouncingYOUR 2014 STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS FIRST ROUND SCHEDULE

Wednesday, April 16

Game 1: Montreal vs. Tampa Bay, 7 p.m. ET (CNBC)
Game 1: Columbus vs. Pittsburgh, 7:30 p.m. ET (NBCSN)
Game 1: Dallas vs. Anaheim, 10 p.m. ET (NBCSN)

Thursday, April 17

Game 1: Philadelphia vs. NY Rangers, 7 p.m. ET (CNBC)
Game 1: Chicago vs. St. Louis, 8 p.m. ET (NBCSN)
Game 1: Minnesota vs. Colorado, 9:30 p.m. ET (CNBC)
Game 1: Los Angeles vs. San Jose, 10:30 p.m. ET (NBCSN)

Friday, April 18

Game 2: Montreal vs. Tampa Bay, 7 p.m. ET (CNBC)
Game 1: Detroit vs. Boston, 7:30 p.m. ET (NBCSN)
Game 2: Dallas vs. Anaheim, 10 p.m. ET (NBCSN)

Saturday, April 19

Game 2: Chicago vs. St. Louis, 3 p.m. ET (NBC)
Game 2: Columbus vs. Pittsburgh, 7 p.m. ET (NBCSN)
Game 2: Minnesota vs. Colorado, 9:30 p.m. ET (NBCSN)

Sunday, April 20

Game 2: Philadelphia vs. NY Rangers, 12 p.m. ET (NBC)
Game 2: Detroit vs. Boston, 3 p.m. ET (NBC)
Game 3: Tampa Bay vs. Montreal, 7 p.m. ET (NBCSN)
Game 2: Los Angeles vs. San Jose, 10 p.m. ET (NBCSN)

Monday, April 21

Game 3: Pittsburgh vs. Columbus, 7 p.m. ET (NBCSN)
Game 3: Colorado vs. Minnesota, 7 p.m. ET (NHL Net)
Game 3: St. Louis vs. Chicago, 8:30 p.m. ET (CNBC)
Game 3: Anaheim vs. Dallas, 9:30 p.m. ET (NBCSN)

Tuesday, April 22

Game 4: Tampa Bay vs. Montreal, 7 p.m. ET (NHL Net)
Game 3: Boston vs. Detroit, 7:30 p.m. ET (NBCSN)
Game 3: NY Rangers vs. Philadelphia, 8 p.m. ET (CNBC)
Game 3: San Jose vs. Los Angeles, 10 p.m. ET (NBCSN)

Wednesday, April 23

Game 4: Pittsburgh vs. Columbus, 7 p.m. ET (NBCSN)
Game 4: Anaheim vs. Dallas, 8 p.m. ET (CNBC)
Game 4: St. Louis vs. Chicago, 9:30 p.m. ET (NBCSN)

Thursday, April 24

Game 5: Montreal vs. Tampa Bay, 7 p.m. ET (CNBC)
Game 4: Boston vs. Detroit, 8 p.m. ET (NBCSN)
Game 4: Colorado vs. Minnesota, 9:30 p.m. ET (CNBC)
Game 4: San Jose vs. Los Angeles, 10:30 p.m. ET (NBCSN)

Friday, April 25

Game 4: NY Rangers vs. Philadelphia, 7 p.m. ET (CNBC)
Game 5: Chicago vs. St. Louis, 8 p.m. ET (NBCSN)
Game 5: Dallas vs. Anaheim, 10:30 p.m. ET (NBCSN)

Saturday, April 26

Game 5: Detroit vs. Boston, 3 p.m. ET (NBC)
Game 5: Columbus vs. Pittsburgh, TBD
Game 5: Minnesota vs. Colorado, TBD
Game 5: Los Angeles vs. San Jose, TBD (NBCSN)

Sunday, April 27

Game 5: Philadelphia vs. NY Rangers, 12 p.m. ET (NBC)
Game 6: St. Louis vs. Chicago, 3 p.m. ET (NBC)
Game 6: Tampa Bay vs. Montreal, TBD (NBCSN)
Game 6: Anaheim vs. Dallas, TBD

Monday, April 28

Game 6: Boston vs. Detroit, TBD
Game 6: Pittsburgh vs. Columbus, TBD
Game 6: Colorado vs. Minnesota, TBD
Game 6: San Jose vs. Los Angeles, TBD

Tuesday, April 29

Game 7: Montreal vs. Tampa Bay, TBD
Game 6: NY Rangers vs. Philadelphia, TBD
Game 7: Chicago vs. St. Louis, TBD
Game 7: Dallas vs. Anaheim, TBD

Wednesday, April 30

Game 7: Detroit vs. Boston, TBD
Game 7: Columbus vs. Pittsburgh, TBD
Game 7: Philadelphia vs. NY Rangers, TBD
Game 7: Minnesota vs. Colorado, TBD
Game 7: Los Angeles vs. San Jose, TBD

@levineps

#100 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:00 PM

Blues-Blackhawks and Sharks-Kings are going to be great series. Montreal-Tampa Bay intrigues me a bit. Lord knows they're more than capable of stifling an offensive juggernaut. Minnesota could beat Colorado. Would not surprise me one bit. 

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=