Photo

Game of Thrones (Book Discussion With Spoilers)

• Please log in to reply
1805 replies to this topic

#1721 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,930 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 09:45 AM

The ability for Varys to move to and fro is even worse.

Littlefinger, too.  And how long it takes to get across the Narrow Sea seems to change on a whim.

Oh well, the show is better when you get a sense of the grand scale of the world but when we don't necessarily have to show all the time it takes traveling from place to place.  Sometimes the journey is the story, like the Yoren taking people to The Wall or Brienne & Jaime on the road, but other times I don't mind when they skip the travel time. 

#1722 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 28 June 2016 - 10:58 AM

And yet it took Sam all season to get to Oldtown. I like the episode more the more I think about it. I'm not as high on the season as everyone else seems to be but I still loved it. I prefer the trade of high paced action and plot in exchange for attention to detail as opposed to whatever it is they did last year.

#1723 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,930 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 11:04 AM

One thing the book does (though it doesn't spell it out explicitly) that I think the show does too is that the stories do not necessarily take place at the same time.  I think they can explain away a lot of the plot holes in terms of movement over long distances with that argument.  Still doesn't make everything line up, but I can forgive that without it spoiling any of my enjoyment of the show (or books).

#1724 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,606 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 28 June 2016 - 12:59 PM

It's dragons and undead zombies

It's ok with me if they travel quickly although it would be better if it were explained

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#1725 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 02:33 PM

I think they're holding back the Rhaegar reveal because many viewers still don't know who he is, or if they do, haven't really seen and felt the importance he plays in the whole story.

I think we get some Bran flashbacks of Rhaegar, learn his importance, and then the show hammers home the reveal that he is Jon's father and why that's so important.

I think this may be dead on.

#1726 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,617 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 02:36 PM

Or they'll reveal that Aerys II was his father.

:shock:

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#1727 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,606 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 28 June 2016 - 03:42 PM

Aerys is the father of both Jon and Tyrion.

Book it.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#1728 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 28 June 2016 - 03:49 PM

Here's my season finale recap: http://baltimorespor...isode-10-recap/
  • BSLChrisStoner and BobPhelan like this

#1729 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,617 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 10:58 AM

Book it.

I think this could be a possibility for the books, especially of GRRM wants to change it up from the show but I think the show will make it Rhaegar regardless...it fits into the story so much better and they've been laying the groundwork for it since season 1.

Plus, it makes sense that TPTWP would be fathered by someone who many considered TPTWP, which was Rhaegar.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#1730 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 June 2016 - 11:13 AM

They have to fit shit in over the course of 10 episodes. Who cares about the travel?

It took Sam a long time because no one cares about him and they gave more important things to talk about.

This is the ultimate in nitpicking.

If Arya didn't show up, would you guys be saying, thank god she didn't show up because the timeline wouldn't have made sense!

#1731 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,512 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 June 2016 - 11:19 AM

I don't think it truly bothers anyone Rob... it's more fun than anything. Especially with some of the memes on the interwebs about fast travel and such. Ain't no thang.

#1732 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 29 June 2016 - 11:26 AM

If I'm nitpicking about travel times on GoT, it means that the episode was damn good and I just need something to critique.

#1733 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 11:28 AM

Book it.

Tyrion, yes. Jon, I just don't see how any of the past time lines could add up to make this true. Were Lyanna and Aerys ever alone together? I don't think it's ever even mentioned. And Rhegar was obviously in love with her. Aerys was mad, but it was always insinuated that Rhegar was one of the few Aerys wouldn't mess with. So him having sex with a woman Rhegar loved would be a complete 180.

Clearly women who aren't Dornish or Targaryan have big issues giving birth to Targaryan's. Lyanna died as well as Joanna Lannister with Tyrion.

#1734 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 June 2016 - 12:05 PM

I don't think it truly bothers anyone Rob... it's more fun than anything. Especially with some of the memes on the interwebs about fast travel and such. Ain't no thang.

Seems like a lot of discussion about it if no one is bothered by it.

I mean, I can see mentioning it as a joke(as you referred to) but beyond that, I don't see any reason to really bring it up.

#1735 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,512 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 June 2016 - 12:08 PM

It's just dorky fun chatter... I haven't actually noticed any real angst over it though. Maybe I've missed that.

#1736 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 29 June 2016 - 12:12 PM

If you're a thrones nerd (many of us are here, I certainly am), the time thing is going to come up.

#1737 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,512 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 June 2016 - 12:14 PM

I agree with Rob though, if it truly bothers you, then you really are nitpicking. I'm a pretty big dork/nerd with this stuff, but I would never let something like that get in the way of enjoying the show.

#1738 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 29 June 2016 - 12:21 PM

Agree with that. As I said above, if I'm complaining about travel time, its clearly nitpicking and it means that the episode was damn good. I hope when I mention Varys or Littlefinger's jetpacks in my articles, people don't really think it's a huge deal. It's certainly not to me.

When you're actively upset about how long it takes to get to point A to point B in a show about ice zombies and dragons, you have bigger fish to fry. As someone said above, we all as viewers have to realize the show isn't going in chronological order as it flips between characters and scenes. It could be hours, days or weeks later. It's tough for the audience to realize that unless it is explicitly stated by a character or a prompt is given on the screen (which they did for locations in Season 1 but have not done since).

#1739 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,512 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 June 2016 - 12:36 PM

Nah, I know you aren't doing that. I think the jetpack comments are funny. Good stuff.

#1740 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,617 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:11 PM

They revealed it on an info graphic? For real?

http://www.darkhoriz...arents-revealed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=