Photo

Game of Thrones (Book Discussion With Spoilers)

• Please log in to reply
1805 replies to this topic

#1701 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,252 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:43 PM

In the books, does the 3rd known continent of Sothoryos, and the possible 4th continent of Ulthos get more attention?

No

#1702 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,698 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:47 PM

I keep sorta waiting for a third continent to get introduced, but that hope is waning.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#1703 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,698 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:48 PM

Wouldn't it be great if Dany's dragons could fly her to Earth, where she lands and is immediately accosted by a drunken McNulty at a bar in the Bahamas?

@bopper33

#1704 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,318 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 08:25 PM

That was so awesome it almost makes up for Varys not killing Kevan.

#1705 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,318 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 08:48 PM

Blowing up the Sept has to happen in the books too.

#1706 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,318 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 09:19 PM

Jon is the spawn of Rhaegar.  Always knew, but nice to have confirmed.

#1707 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,558 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 June 2016 - 09:23 PM

Jon is the spawn of Rhaegar.  Always knew, but nice to have confirmed.

Is that a confirmation for sure?

#1708 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,318 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 09:27 PM

Who else would it be that she needed to protect him from Robert?  Robert was the one that had it out for Targaryens.

#1709 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,252 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 26 June 2016 - 09:40 PM

I loved the episode but what a big FU to readers with Manderly just showing support for Jon Snow and also Varys stealing "Fire and Blood" from Doran.

#1710 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,252 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 26 June 2016 - 09:41 PM

It basically is.

#1711 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,318 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 10:24 PM

It basically is.

Admitting he wasn't Ned's was proof enough IMO.

• Chris B likes this

#1712 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,698 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 10:27 PM

So Houses Bolton and Umber are basically extinguished? Who gets their lands?
  • Chris B likes this

@bopper33

#1713 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,252 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 26 June 2016 - 10:28 PM

So Houses Bolton and Umber are basically extinguished? Who gets their lands?

Tormund and Davos if it were up to me

#1714 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 08:33 AM

Really, really liked the finale.  And agree with others saying this has been the greatest season yet.  Guess we didn't need to worry about how the show would handle things once they got past the books!

My favorite moment was Arya with Walder Frey.  I called the Frey pies when I saw them brought out, but I never realized that it was Arya until she was revealing her face.  I think the show got a bit cute with the time it takes to travel long distances there, but I don't care because the payoff was great.

While I thought Tommen would die this episode, I didn't think it'd be suicide.  But that does make sense given his character and how much he seemingly cared about the Faith and Margaery, at least as much as a young King can.  My only major complaint from the episode was Cersei's reaction, I would've expected a much more bombastic response.  Instead, it almost plays off as if she had intended him to die (though of course she didn't, with Robert Strong detaining the King so he didn't go to the Sept) so she would become "King".  Holy crap did she ever kill a lot of people, though.  Man, that was really well done effects wise.  They could have very easily had some of the major characters in the Sept escape the carnage for plot-contrivance reasons, but I like that the writers stayed a bit more true to Cersei's intent and have just everybody die.

The Tower of Joy Part 2 was good, but I wish they hadn't left it a bit open-ended on who the father is (though agree it's clear it's Rhaegar) and especially on the manner of how she became pregnant (she ran away with Rhaegar or did he kidnap and rape her).   I think the transition from the baby's eyes to Jon's eyes was very well done, I liked that a lot more than had they added some "name hiim Jon" lines to Lyanna.

Dorne's been stupid all along, but the end game of a Targaryen, Tyrell, Martell, and Greyjoy alliance will make for a pretty winnable looking battle against the Lannister's, especially if the Frey's are weakened after Walder's death and of course the Bolton's are no more.

I was expecting Jon to turn down the North raising him up to be King.  It definitely didn't feel as surging with glory as it did when Robb was declared King in the North.  Part of that of course is Sansa being conflicted on whether she wants Jon to rule Winterfell or to do it herself and perhaps trusting in Baelish who is obviously not conflicted about what he prefers.

They didn't knock the Wall down yet, but Benjen saying "while it stands" sure sounds like some foreshadowing to me!

Fantastic season, and they've set it up to jump right into the action when the next season resumes.  I think the endgame will be Dany pretty quickly destroying the Lannister's and taking control of Westeros (biggest question there for me is if Jaime makes it out of that alive or not).  Some strife over whether she lets Jon remain King in the North or if he falls under her control.  Then the Wall falls down, and everybody has to team up in the long battle against the White Walkers.

• You Play to Win the Game and Hooded Viper like this

#1715 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,733 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 08:50 AM

I think they're holding back the Rhaegar reveal because many viewers still don't know who he is, or if they do, haven't really seen and felt the importance he plays in the whole story.

I think we get some Bran flashbacks of Rhaegar, learn his importance, and then the show hammers home the reveal that he is Jon's father and why that's so important.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#1716 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 27 June 2016 - 09:37 AM

If I could put Arya's face on Eric Cartman, and put Frey's face on Scott Tenorman, I would.

Immediately.

• DJ MC likes this

#1717 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,558 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 June 2016 - 02:23 PM

In the no deed goes unpunished category, pretty cool for Jon to save Winterfell and bring it back to the Starks... After his Targaryen self was raised and protected by the Stark's. Setting up a great relationship between House Stark and House Targaryen down the road.

#1718 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,651 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 27 June 2016 - 11:00 PM

How can Arya still change faces if she turned away from the faceless men? Had some nitpicks again but a very good episode. Stands as the fourth best season for me. 'The Winds of Winter' is gonna be so damn good.

#1719 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 09:15 AM

How can Arya still change faces if she turned away from the faceless men? Had some nitpicks again but a very good episode. Stands as the fourth best season for me. 'The Winds of Winter' is gonna be so damn good.

She could've taken that face from the room when she put The Waif's face there?  And she must have learned how to remove them (from that one time we saw Jaqen doing it?) in order to remove The Waif's after killing her and put it in the room.  Or since she must now know how to remove faces, maybe she just found a dead body near Riverrun and took the pretty face off?

I think her traveling a long distance in nearly no time is a bigger plot hole.  They've at least set up a plausible scenario in which Arya knows how to remove and wear new faces on the show.  But they never told us about the wormhole between Braavos and Riverrun.

• BobPhelan likes this

#1720 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,733 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 09:17 AM

She could've taken that face from the room when she put The Waif's face there?  And she must have learned how to remove them (from that one time we saw Jaqen doing it?) in order to remove The Waif's after killing her and put it in the room.  Or since she must now know how to remove faces, maybe she just found a dead body near Riverrun and took the pretty face off?

I think her traveling a long distance in nearly no time is a bigger plot hole.  They've at least set up a plausible scenario in which Arya knows how to remove and wear new faces on the show.  But they never told us about the wormhole between Braavos and Riverrun.

The ability for Varys to move to and fro is even worse.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=