Photo

Game of Thrones (Book Discussion With Spoilers)

• Please log in to reply
1805 replies to this topic

#1681 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,437 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 09:56 AM

I think Dany is going to arrive back on Westeros and find the country pounded by all the wars that they don't even bother to fight back. She's going to be ready for war and there's going to be little left after The Mad Queen burns Kings Landing and the North has been reclaimed by the Starks.

With Tommen dead, and presumably Margery, who has the claim to the throne? Cersei will probably be dead by the time Dany arrives too, if you believe in the valonqar theory.

I think Westeros is not going to be the prize that Dany thinks it is.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#1682 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,962 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 10:05 AM

With Tommen dead, and presumably Margery, who has the claim to the throne? Cersei will probably be dead by the time Dany arrives too, if you believe in the valonqar theory.

I think Cersei accidentally kills Tommen when she torches the Sept of Baelor and goes even crazier next season.  Tyrion comes back with Dany's army and finishes her off.  He's little.  He's her brother.

Do we get Varys killing Kevan and Pycelle in the finale?  Do they bring in Aegon at all or just skip it and have Varys do that to clear the path for Dany?

#1683 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,437 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 10:18 AM

I think Cersei accidentally kills Tommen when she torches the Sept of Baelor and goes even crazier next season.  Tyrion comes back with Dany's army and finishes her off.  He's little.  He's her brother.

Do we get Varys killing Kevan and Pycelle in the finale?  Do they bring in Aegon at all or just skip it and have Varys do that to clear the path for Dany?

Jaime is also her "little" brother.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#1684 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,962 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 10:50 AM

I could see book Jaime killing Cersei, but not show Jaime.  They definitely haven't established any of the things that drive the two of them apart and lead to Jaime becoming apathetic towards her demise.  In the show, he's still madly in love with her and would do anything for her.  Would take a really quick development to see that all flipped around.

#1685 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,328 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 10:59 AM

I could see book Jaime killing Cersei, but not show Jaime. They definitely haven't established any of the things that drive the two of them apart and lead to Jaime becoming apathetic towards her demise. In the show, he's still madly in love with her and would do anything for her. Would take a really quick development to see that all flipped around.

Oh yeah, did Tyrion tell him about all the dudes she was banging in the show? I don't remember, but I know that's a major catalyst in the books.

#1686 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,437 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 11:00 AM

I could see book Jaime killing Cersei, but not show Jaime.  They definitely haven't established any of the things that drive the two of them apart and lead to Jaime becoming apathetic towards her demise.  In the show, he's still madly in love with her and would do anything for her.  Would take a really quick development to see that all flipped around.

I agree. They should have played up Jaime's love for Tommen more if his death would motivate Jaime to blame Cersei and eventually kill her.

I do think Jaime will kill Cersei in the books.

#1687 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,962 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 11:14 AM

Oh yeah, did Tyrion tell him about all the dudes she was banging in the show? I don't remember, but I know that's a major catalyst in the books.

I don't think he did.  And in the show I think it's just Lancel, don't think we've got an Osmund Kettleblack or any stand in for him, though Lancel alone could be enough to piss off Jaime.  I also don't think we'll get Moon Boy :(

#1688 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,338 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 20 June 2016 - 01:32 PM

I don't recall seeing Karstark die last night.

#1689 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,338 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 20 June 2016 - 01:35 PM

We still haven't seen "Fletcher" but at this point it looks like that character was either cut or just a casting call ruse. http://watchersonthe...n-for-season-6/

#1690 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,805 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 01:40 PM

Man just watched it again, freakin epic!

#1691 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,338 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 20 June 2016 - 06:32 PM

Here is my S6E9 recap.

• BSLChrisStoner and BobPhelan like this

#1692 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 15,081 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 20 June 2016 - 08:17 PM

My only nitpick is the Sansa thing. I kept waiting for her to realize she caused the unnecessary deaths of thousands or for Jon to make that point. Predictions for finale: - Arya and Dany arrive in Westeros, Riverlands and Dorne respectively - Wildfire = end of the High Sparrow, Tommen, maybe Margaery - Maester Qyburn has Varys' leftovers kill Pycelle, Kevin, and Mace - Bran comes south of the wall only for it to fall right behind him - R + L = J reveal, maybe Bran even 'shows' Jon - Hound + Brienne = Lady Stoneheart (biggest longshot) - Something with Sam and a discovery

#1693 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,574 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 20 June 2016 - 08:37 PM

Sansa may not have known the Vale was coming.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#1694 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 15,081 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 20 June 2016 - 08:47 PM

Sansa may not have known the Vale was coming.

She knew she sent a letter asking for their help after Littlefinger told her he would do anything for her. Just say 'hey Jon, I know it's a shot in the dark but...'. It's a nitpick, didn't really affect my enjoyment of the episode.

#1695 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,328 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 09:17 PM

She knew she sent a letter asking for their help after Littlefinger told her he would do anything for her. Just say 'hey Jon, I know it's a shot in the dark but...'. It's a nitpick, didn't really affect my enjoyment of the episode.

Petyr DID offer to help her earlier in the season, and she turned him down.  That being said, as much as I like to blame Sansa for her stupidity, she did warn Jon not to take the bait and the idiot goes rushing out there for Rickon.  If he did the smart, held his lines, and stuck to his plan they wouldn't have been surrounded and slaughtered like that.

• BobPhelan and Chris B like this

#1696 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,962 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:20 AM

There is no plausible explanation that I can think of for Sansa not telling Jon about the Raven sent to Littlefinger besides it being a plot contrivance by the writers to make it seem even more hopeless.  Bad job, show. 

Everything else about the episode I thought was fantastic.

Oh, I guess one other small complaint would be why does Dany just wait around in the pyramid taking on fireballs until morning?  Dragons make up for a lot of small complaints.

• BobPhelan likes this

#1697 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,328 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:28 AM

There is no plausible explanation that I can think of for Sansa not telling Jon about the Raven sent to Littlefinger besides it being a plot contrivance by the writers to make it seem even more hopeless. Bad job, show.

Everything else about the episode I thought was fantastic.

Oh, I guess one other small complaint would be why does Dany just wait around in the pyramid taking on fireballs until morning? Dragons make up for a lot of small complaints.

What bothered me was how passive the dragons were. Start burning as soon as you get to the ships, not only when you've reached the middle. And even then she hesitated. Guess they only have so much in the effects budget for fire.

#1698 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,962 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 12:14 PM

What bothered me was how passive the dragons were. Start burning as soon as you get to the ships, not only when you've reached the middle. And even then she hesitated. Guess they only have so much in the effects budget for fire.

That seems like a really small nit to pick to me, but you can't really decide what bugs you and what doesn't I guess.

I would completely disagree that the dragons were passive, though.  And the plan was to burn one ship without engulfing the others so that Dany could take over the fleet, so maybe they intentionally made it so they went for the center of the ship (not to mention that taking out the mast disables the ship) so that it didn't spread to any other nearby ships.

#1699 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,437 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 01:16 PM

I think Dany is going to arrive back on Westeros and find the country pounded by all the wars that they don't even bother to fight back. She's going to be ready for war and there's going to be little left after The Mad Queen burns Kings Landing and the North has been reclaimed by the Starks.

I think Westeros is not going to be the prize that Dany thinks it is.

Especially after the White Walkers have their way with it.

#1700 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 158,120 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:40 PM

In the books, does the 3rd known continent of Sothoryos, and the possible 4th continent of Ulthos get more attention?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=