Photo

Game of Thrones (Book Discussion With Spoilers)

• Please log in to reply
1805 replies to this topic

#1 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:01 AM

Starting up a 2nd GoT thread, this one will contain lots of spoilers with nothing really off limits to talk about in any of the books.

HBO just aired the 3rd episode of Season 3.  It started with introducing the Tully's (and saying goodbye to Catelyn's father Hoster).  I think they did a good job of introducing us to Edmure and the Blackfish.  Changed things a little bit from the book (both were introduced earlier in the books) but I think they did a solid job of pretty quickly introducing us to the dynamic between the Tully's.

There wasn't much action elsewhere.  I think they did a really good job with Dany and north of the Wall, but the stuff with Tyrion and Pod was pretty dumb and I've got no idea where they are going with Theon.  That's completely different than in the books.  I'm not sure if I'd believe that Dany was willing to pay a dragon to get all the Unsullied (if I didn't know what was coming).  I have really enjoyed Dany's stuff in Astapor this season so far, and think the guy playing Kraznys is awesome.  Gonna enjoy seeing that come to a climax!

They switched up how Jamie comes to lose his swordhand, but I think that it works great all the same.  Instead of the Goat, who may have come across as silly on the screen with that lisp, it's the manager from Almost Famous and he seems to fit well here.  I also think it's good that they're flying Bolton banners, as that will make what ends up happening there make a bit more sense.

#2 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:33 AM

As far as the Theon stuff goes,  I'm 99% sure that the dude helping him is Ramsay.  Seeing as we see nothing of Theon until book 5 the Show has alot of leeway with his character and what they can do with him as his torturing/flaying largely happened off book.  I think they are just sort of modifying the story of Ramsay letting the woman he captures free and then hunting them down and substituting in Theon.

The Dany stuff has been great, they've done a much better job with her character and storyline this season than in season 2.  Agreed, that the guy playing Kraznys has been awesome too.    I watch the show with my wife (she doesn't read the books) and I asked what she thought about Dany this week.  Her response was that she was mad/disappointed in her for agreeing to sell a dragon, I just had to bite my tongue there.

There seems to be one change each week that grinds my gears and this week it was the Stannis/Mel scene.  It's only going to get worse because I know where and what Mel is up to, but I was more annoyed with how they were making Stannis being all horned up for Mel.  In the books you never get the impression that he's attracted to her, it's more of something he had to do to help him get the throne.

The Tully stuff was great,  that banner/flag they had on Hoster's funeral boat looked awesome!

#3 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:42 AM

I haven't even read that far in the book yet, but I already know how that's gonna turn out with Dany. Too much reflection, scheming and body language. Great subtle acting on her part.

@JeremyMStrain

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:53 AM

I agree Duffman, that the guy helping him is probably going to end up being Ramsay.  Would explain why the last guy he kills with the arrow to the face says "You bastard", both figuratively and literally.

That would be a decent way to deal with Theon.  He was too great in Season 2 (the acting) not to use him in Seasons 3 and beyond.  You can't keep him on the shelf and then explain later why he's so broken as Reek a few years down the road.  Well you could, that would work storywise, but I think the actor playing Theon is too valuable to just not use him at all.  If that's the way they go, then it will make sense.  I always pictured Ramsay as a lot bigger, uglier, and more brutish than this kid they've got helping Theon, though.

#5 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:28 AM

Her response was that she was mad/disappointed in her for agreeing to sell a dragon, I just had to bite my tongue there.

I haven't read the books, but is anyone in the world not expecting the dragon to burn the crap out of everyone and then fly home to mama?

I was wishing that Dany secretly knew that a-hole's language and answered back to one of his insults before she left.

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#6 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:36 AM

I haven't read the books, but is anyone in the world not expecting the dragon to burn the crap out of everyone and then fly home to mama?

I was wishing that Dany secretly knew that a-hole's language and answered back to one of his insults before she left.

Pretty much. Just because you think you OWN a dragon, doesn't mean it listens to you. Lines up nicely as a rebuttle to the whole slavery issue that Dany hates so much.

• SammyBirdland likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#7 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:03 AM

In the book Dany does understand what he's saying but plays dumb for a long con. The Theon stuff makes sense to me. I loved the way Martin wrote his storyline in the book but there's no reason not to show what happens as it does for the show.
  • SammyBirdland likes this

#8 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:16 AM

In the book Dany does understand what he's saying but plays dumb for a long con. The Theon stuff makes sense to me. I loved the way Martin wrote his storyline in the book but there's no reason not to show what happens as it does for the show.

Yeah, I think Dany will still be revealed to know exactly what Kraznys has been saying the whole time.  Already hinted at with her quickly interpreting when Missandei said valar morghulis.

#9 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,637 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:26 AM

I agree with Mac and Duff (Sounds like 2 band members in GNR :smile:) that the kid is Ramsay.  The initial torture Theon sustained was way to light compared to the book so the best is yet to come for this traitor.  Danny's story is really much more intriguing this season than last and the actress has really gotten better at expressing her true feelings to the audience  with subtle expressions.  I really enjoyed the lecture she gave to Jorah and Selmy.  

The rest of the episode was very well done and I particularly enjoyed the witty banter between Tyrion and Braun regarding Podrick, even though it really had nothing to do with the overall story.  I think that was just a scene cap after the foreshadowing of the Bravosi Banks "always getting their money".

And the amputation of Jamie's hand was a think of beauty.  That cleaver was really nasty looking. 

#10 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:34 AM

I'm really having a hard time staying entertained and focused during these episodes - the books held my attention and uh, captivated me so much more. 

#11 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:43 AM

I agree with Mac and Duff (Sounds like 2 band members in GNR :smile:) that the kid is Ramsay.  The initial torture Theon sustained was way to light compared to the book so the best is yet to come for this traitor.  Danny's story is really much more intriguing this season than last and the actress has really gotten better at expressing her true feelings to the audience  with subtle expressions.  I really enjoyed the lecture she gave to Jorah and Selmy.  

Agreed about Dany,  I don't know if that's just because her character has more to do in ASOS than ACOK or what.   I know they were trying to add more to her story last year, but all they managed to do was have her come off as a whiny "B".  I mean pretty much every episode all she said was "I want my dragons!"

As far as the show goes  I'm really enjoying Season 3 much more than 2.  Spliting up the 3rd book has really allowed them to spend some more time with the characters and allowed them to develop more. 

#12 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:35 AM

I agre that Dany's story has been way better this year than last.  I think the stuff with the House of the Undying could have been way better if they'd stuck more to her storyline from the book.  There really isn't a ton of stuff that Dany does in Book 2, so they had to give her more action for the show, which lead to them needing to change a bit of the story in Qarth.

Jamie's amputation definitely was great.  I bet it was as unexpected for non-book readers as it was for me when I was originally reading.  I wish they had made his fight with Brienne a more even match, though it was still good for a while.

#13 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:29 PM

Jamie's amputation definitely was great.  I bet it was as unexpected for non-book readers as it was for me when I was originally reading.  I wish they had made his fight with Brienne a more even match, though it was still good for a while.

Yeah I agree with that.  I know they are trying to play up the fact that Brienne is a great fighter herself, but in the book their fight was practically a draw.  Which showed how great a swordsmen Jamie still was despite being beaten, underfed, chained up and everything else he stil was able to bring it.

#14 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:28 PM

I agree with Mac and Duff (Sounds like 2 band members in GNR :smile:) that the kid is Ramsay. The initial torture Theon sustained was way to light compared to the book so the best is yet to come for this traitor. Danny's story is really much more intriguing this season than last and the actress has really gotten better at expressing her true feelings to the audience with subtle expressions. I really enjoyed the lecture she gave to Jorah and Selmy.
As far as the show goes I'm really enjoying Season 3 much more than 2. Spliting up the 3rd book has really allowed them to spend some more time with the characters and allowed them to develop more.
Agreed. I'm enjoying this season better than either of the first two and its only gonna get better. Interesting that most TV onlies don't agree.

#15 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:23 AM

So, to clarify, we are allowed to talk about future spoilers in this thread, Mackus?

The ninth episode is titled The Rains of Castamere. Oh dear...

@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#16 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:11 AM

So, to clarify, we are allowed to talk about future spoilers in this thread, Mackus?

The ninth episode is titled The Rains of Castamere. Oh dear...

Yes, anything goes.  I intended it to be more of a book-to-screen discussion of the TV series, but that inevitably will lead to things like "well they did this with Guy X tonight so that means they can't have that from Book 4 or the other thing from Book 5 happen in the same way, how will they resolve that?".

If you wanna branch out and just talk about something that happened in Book 5 just because you liked it or didn't like it, feel free.  But I think mostly this thread will be a companion thread to the TV show thread where we more openly discuss what has happened, how it differed from the books, if we liked the changes, and how they'll move forward to where we know the story is going.

And oh yeah, the 9th episode is going to be amazing.  Gonna be just like the 9th episode of Season 1.

#17 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:31 AM

And oh yeah, the 9th episode is going to be amazing.  Gonna be just like the 9th episode of Season 1.

Just found out that they are taking a week off between episode 8 and 9 because it falls on Memorial Day weekend (HBO is airing some movie that weekend).  Which means we have to wait an extra week to see that episode, ugh!

#18 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:43 AM

Just found out that they are taking a week off between episode 8 and 9 because it falls on Memorial Day weekend (HBO is airing some movie that weekend).  Which means we have to wait an extra week to see that episode, ugh!

Better for them than taking a week off after episode 9!

We obviously know what's gonna happen at the end of that episode.  My question is do the fans get some amount of "vengeance" the very next week or will it wait until the Season 4 premeire?  When will the wedding take place?  I'd wait until Season 4, the premiere, for the royal wedding.  I'd end Season 4 with the Wildling attack on the Wall.

#19 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:47 AM

Better for them than taking a week off after episode 9!

We obviously know what's gonna happen at the end of that episode.  My question is do the fans get some amount of "vengeance" the very next week or will it wait until the Season 4 premeire?  When will the wedding take place?  I'd wait until Season 4, the premiere, for the royal wedding.  I'd end Season 4 with the Wildling attack on the Wall.

Everything I've read leads me to believe they won't show the Purple Wedding until Season 4 and this makes sense as they still need to cast and introduce the Red Viper  so If I had to guess I would say the PW will be in episode 3 or 4.  But that would be crazy if they opened season 4 with it.  Something else I hope they don't show this season is Lady Stoneheart.

#20 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:20 AM

Here's an unconfirmed spoiler that connects GOT to Harry Potter.

84Ux16x.jpg

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=