Photo

Game of Thrones (Book Discussion With Spoilers)

• Please log in to reply
1805 replies to this topic

#1761 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 04 May 2017 - 03:18 PM

http://watchersonthe...rones-spinoffs/ Hell yeah!
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#1762 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,263 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 05:06 PM

http://watchersonthe...rones-spinoffs/Hell yeah!

I imagine one will be Roberts Rebellion. I'd guess one would feature Dunk and Egg. Maybe an Aegon the Conquerer prequel?

#1763 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 05:13 PM

I imagine one will be Roberts Rebellion. I'd guess one would feature Dunk and Egg. Maybe an Aegon the Conquerer prequel?

I imagine you are right that most/all will be previous events.... but am hoping at-least one is set in the 'future.'

#1764 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,263 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 08:34 PM

I imagine you are right that most/all will be previous events.... but am hoping at-least one is set in the 'future.'

That would be interesting for sure. Have to see how the story ultimately ends. But a follow up would be a great idea with the right people.

#1765 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,263 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 08:38 PM

I will say, a while ago on his "Not a Blog". Martin explained his lack of interest in producing a book about Roberts Rebellion. Basically saying that most fantasy series are like his rebellion. With the "good guy" winning the throne. He wanted to explore what happens after the "happily ever after". Even using Lord of The Rings as an example. Stating that it ended with a simple statement that Aragorn had a long and successful rule. He wanted to explore the aftermath of the "good guy's" victory.

#1766 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 05 May 2017 - 09:34 PM

"Modern" Westeros.
@DJ_McCann

#1767 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 11:15 AM

"Modern" Westeros.

Game of Phones?

#1768 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 28 July 2017 - 08:40 AM

For those waiting on Winds, George gave an update recently which was a major downer.  Bascially said that it's still months off from being "done" and he's not even sure if it will be out next year, ugh.  As someone who hasn't watched the show since Season 4 this is not the news I was hoping for.   I've been wanting to reread the series again (I've read it 3 times already) for quite a while now but I didn't want to start it until I knew Winds was on the way.  I caved and actually started "AGOT" a week and a half ago, before George made this announcement so if I continue on I'll be wrapped up with the books again and still no firm release date.  Maybe I'll take a break before I move onto "ACOK" and the rest of the books it's hard to say.    I will say that after not reading the books for quite a while (at least 3 years maybe longer)  I was surprised with how quick "AGOT" has sucked me back in.  Clearly I still enjoy the world I just wish I knew when the next book was coming. :(

#1769 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 08:52 AM

For those waiting on Winds, George gave an update recently which was a major downer.  Bascially said that it's still months off from being "done" and he's not even sure if it will be out next year, ugh.  As someone who hasn't watched the show since Season 4 this is not the news I was hoping for.   I've been wanting to reread the series again (I've read it 3 times already) for quite a while now but I didn't want to start it until I knew Winds was on the way.  I caved and actually started "AGOT" a week and a half ago, before George made this announcement so if I continue on I'll be wrapped up with the books again and still no firm release date.  Maybe I'll take a break before I move onto "ACOK" and the rest of the books it's hard to say.    I will say that after not reading the books for quite a while (at least 3 years maybe longer)  I was surprised with how quick "AGOT" has sucked me back in.  Clearly I still enjoy the world I just wish I knew when the next book was coming. :(

Fuck GRRM.

You have one job.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#1770 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 28 July 2017 - 09:08 AM

Well the more depressing news is that the show is venturing into areas that will probably be even later than Winds. So even if he gets that one out, you still got another 5 years to wait for the 7th book.

@JeremyMStrain

#1771 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 28 July 2017 - 09:12 AM

Well the more depressing news is that the show is venturing into areas that will probably be even later than Winds. So even if he gets that one out, you still got another 5 years to wait for the 7th book.

I feel like once the show ends next year it will actually be a bit easier to wait because the hype will be less moving forward.  Once Winds comes out, I'll probably watch at least seasons 5 & 6.  After that I'll probably make a decision about the last two seasons.

#1772 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 28 July 2017 - 09:23 AM

I feel like once the show ends next year it will actually be a bit easier to wait because the hype will be less moving forward.  Once Winds comes out, I'll probably watch at least seasons 5 & 6.  After that I'll probably make a decision about the last two seasons.

I'm watching it, I've written off GRRM, but I still can't help but wonder what is going to be different in the show and books. The small butterfly effects from earlier storylines changed and dropped could have major changes. I could completely see Martin changing things from the shows, just to make sure it's his alone. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

@JeremyMStrain

#1773 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 07:29 PM

Fuck GRRM.

You have one job.

#1774 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 28 July 2017 - 07:46 PM

Dream of spring will be released in 2024. Calling it now.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#1775 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,263 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 07:29 AM

I like your optimism.

#1776 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 03:52 PM

And who will be the author?

#1777 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 06 August 2017 - 09:23 PM

Book readers: is there any reason why they show hasn't gone further into Bran's assassination attempt? Will they ever?

My friends that only watch the show seem set on the fact that it was Tyrion or Littlefinger. But we know it was Joffrey. Is this just an example of the show writers changing things up?
  • Chris B likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#1778 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 11:14 PM

Book readers: is there any reason why they show hasn't gone further into Bran's assassination attempt? Will they ever?

My friends that only watch the show seem set on the fact that it was Tyrion or Littlefinger. But we know it was Joffrey. Is this just an example of the show writers changing things up?

I believe it's mentioned in a conversation between Tyrion and Cersei in the show.  They talk about Joffrey acting on his own, season 2.

#1779 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 07 August 2017 - 06:06 AM

Book readers: is there any reason why they show hasn't gone further into Bran's assassination attempt? Will they ever? My friends that only watch the show seem set on the fact that it was Tyrion or Littlefinger. But we know it was Joffrey. Is this just an example of the show writers changing things up?

Yeah, it's quite odd that they're bringing back this dagger. They're clearly showing it's importance, an image of it was even in one of the books that Sam was reading at the Citadel in episode 2. But why? Just because it's Valyrian steel? I thought for sure it was Joff, especially since the show already alluded to it being Joffrey in season 2, as Dupin said.

#1780 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:33 AM

I was very interested that the Golden Company was mentioned specifically by name in last night's episode.

There's no way they bring some form of Aegon back, right? That's just too late in the game IMO. But the mere mention of that sellsword group (given their Targaryen background) has me thinking.

I 100% promise that I haven't read any casting/production spoilers but would it be possible that perhaps Gendry has joined up with the Golden Company since his departure in Season 3? That would be an interesting dynamic in terms of "combining characters" like the show has been wont to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=