Photo

Game of Thrones (Book Discussion With Spoilers)

• Please log in to reply
1805 replies to this topic

#101 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:46 PM

Musicians were a lot better than they made them out to be in the books. 

#102 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:49 PM

I don't think I've ever wanted to kill the janitor from Harry Potter so bad in my life.

@JeremyMStrain

#103 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:52 PM

I don't think I've ever wanted to kill the janitor from Harry Potter so bad in my life.

:lol: :lol:

#104 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,235 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:00 PM

Interesting they had Jeyne (or whatever her tv show name is) there and killed.

I'm not done the 3rd book, but I guess she isn't a major character for the rest of the story?

#105 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:00 PM

One other thing I'm interested to see if they show or not. Based on the preview for the finale it looks like we get a little more fallout from The Twins. I'm curious to see if they show the whole Grey Wind/Robb head swap? I remember reading that part in the book and was shocked to see that. Obviously the whole RW was a complete shocker, but to find out that they mess with his corpse like that...

#106 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,235 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:55 PM

Any guesses on what the final episode of this season is about?

There's a lot of action at the end of the third book that they could go to.

#107 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:02 PM

I didn't see the preview for the final episode...safe to assume they are saving the Purple Wedding for next season?

They should open with the last of the RW...including Robb/GreyWind.

#108 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:10 PM

Think they might do the final scene of this episode as Cat being brought back?

@JeremyMStrain

#109 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,235 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:50 PM

Think they might do the final scene of this episode as Cat being brought back?

I think it'd be too quick for that. I'd wait a few episodes into next season, then show that scene.

#110 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,588 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:16 PM

Any guesses on what the final episode of this season is about? There's a lot of action at the end of the third book that they could go to.

They won't use anything from the end of the book, the RW is only like 60% in. I think they'll show Nymeria dragging Cat out of the river. I hope they close with the purple wedding but I think they'll open S4 with it.

#111 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,588 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:04 PM

Duff - talk about an us vs them attitude... He even makes it a war in GoT threads. God forbid people that have read the book talk about the show... Although I do think Wedge went too far. Finally watched the episode today. The baby belly stabbing was incredibly disturbing. But holy shit they nailed it. I had chills and I obviously knew what was coming. Bravo David and Dan!
  • DuffMan likes this

#112 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:41 PM

Duff - talk about an us vs them attitude... He even makes it a war in GoT threads. God forbid people that have read the book talk about the show... Although I do think Wedge went too far. Finally watched the episode today. The baby belly stabbing was incredibly disturbing. But holy shit they nailed it. I had chills and I obviously knew what was coming. Bravo David and Dan!

Ugh tell me about it.  They ask questions and we try to help them out, then he complains about it,  gimme a break.

As far as the episode goes I said the same thing to my wife today that I thought the belly stabbing was effed up.   Ever since I've had kids I don't like seeing that sort of thing.  I'm still not sure  how I feel about that aspect of the RW.  I was never a fan of the Tallisa character, but since she wasn't a spy (as some speculated)  I guess she was bound to be offed at the wedding.   But I feel like Dan & Dave were trying to put their own twist on it, as if the RW wasn't effed up enough as it is they felt the need to make it even worse with the belly stabbing.  Not to mention the fact that book Robb was smart enough not to bring Jeyne/Talisa to the wedding to piss Frey off even more.  I don't know how else they could have handled it, but I guess they didn't have many choices when they didn't go the Jeyne Westerling route.

• BobPhelan likes this

#113 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,235 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:48 PM

Any reason why the directors didn't just have her as Jeyne Westerling? Better love storyline for Robb meeting her on the battlefield?

(I just started book 4, so not sure if we see Jeyne again in the books.)

#114 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:51 PM

Any reason why the directors didn't just have her as Jeyne Westerling? Better love storyline for Robb meeting her on the battlefield?

I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to add that death to the Red Wedding for the added impact and didn't think they could do so with the character as written (Who was kin to the Lannisters, right? It's been a while.)

@DJ_McCann

#115 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,825 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:56 PM

I think we'll get Dany kicking Jorah out of her service, they've been setting up the rivalry between he and both Barristan and Daario (seems a bit one-sided from Jorah's perspective).  I think we'll see or at least hear about Balon Greyjoy falling off the bridge and then Davos and Melisandre and Stannis talking about "two is not three", but I don't think we'll get all the way to the end of the Purple wedding.  It would be a great ending to the season, but I agree with those that think they'll do that early in Season 4.  Would be a bit of redemption for fans after the Red Wedding.

Also, i didn't realize Joffrey's death was called the Purple Wedding.  Is that in the books or just a fan thing.  Red Wedding actually is in the books, right?

• BobPhelan likes this

#116 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:58 PM

I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to add that death to the Red Wedding for the added impact and didn't think they could do so with the character as written (Who was kin to the Lannisters, right? It's been a while.)

Yeah I don't remember an actual reason, but that's probably part of it.  Since the show didn't have/develop many of his Bannermen I guess they needed another familiar face for the viewers to make it hit home more.  They might also have thought adding and explaining the Westerlings would've been too much to include.

#117 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:59 PM

Also, i didn't realize Joffrey's death was called the Purple Wedding.  Is that in the books or just a fan thing.  Red Wedding actually is in the books, right?

I'd have to double check but I don't think the term Red Wedding appears in the books.  Purple Wedding is a fan term as well referencing the purple amethyst hair net that Sansa wears.  I'm looking forward to seeing how they show that because in the book they don't exactly spell out who's responsible for offing Joffrey.

#118 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,235 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:00 PM

I'm not sure if they even have time to do the other wedding in the last episode. I think it will be a wind-down, catch-up-with-every-storyline episode.

Just some thoughts on the last episode, though much of it's been said already:

- Hound tells Arya they're going to the Eyrie

- Dany banishes Jorah

- Jon Snow warns the Night's Watch of the wildlings coming

- Learn of Greyjoy dying. Stannis/Melisandre "two isn't three"

- And my big guess is that we meet Cold Hands and Bran and the Reeds meet Sam

- And of course, the final scene will be our favorite Theon torture moment.

Not sure what to do with the Lannisters.

#119 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:07 PM

Not sure what to do with the Lannisters.

They've actually got one of the scenes I'm most looking forward to.  They are talking about the events of the Red Wedding and Joffrey starts going crazy saying he wants to serve Robb's head to Sansa.  This is then followed by Tywin telling Joffrey that mercy must be given to those that bend the knee.  Everyone thinks this is the end of it but Joffrey calls Tywin a coward!   Should be a great scene!!

#120 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,235 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:09 PM

They've actually got one of the scenes I'm most looking forward to.  They are talking about the events of the Red Wedding and Joffrey starts going crazy saying he wants to serve Robb's head to Sansa.  This is then followed by Tywin telling Joffrey that mercy must be given to those that bend the knee.  Everyone thinks this is the end of it but Joffrey calls Tywin a coward!   Should be a great scene!!

Ah yes that is a good one! Good setup for the next wedding as well and it lets us see the Lannisters one last time until next season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=