353 replies to this topic

#61 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,777 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:01 AM

Besides Betemit, we don't have any better options, and I'm not certain Betemit would be any better (especially with Reimold currently out). Flaherty made some sense when Reynolds was scuffling, but now that he appears to be back to his usual self offensively, the tradeoff switches back in Reynolds' favor given Flaherty's lack of a bat.

It's definitely a very frustrating situation, and Reynolds has been awful, but I still think he's our best option on the current 25-man for 3B right now. Maybe once Reimold is back, you can put Betemit there and Reynolds at DH, but honestly, I think Reynolds is probably the better fielder between the two going forward. Both are inadequate as everyday 3B, though. I don't view Davis as an option. They can't trust his arm to hold up, and quite honestly, he's done a bad job at 1B as well, IMO.

The team is very sound defensively up the middle, but aside from Markakis in RF, the corners are all a mess (except when Endy is filling in for Reimold).

#62 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,101 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:58 PM

As discussed in the injuries thread, Reynolds has gone to the DL today with an oblique injury.

Baseball Analytics: Best Mistake Hitters since 2010
http://www.baseballa...since-2010.html

#63 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,101 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:24 PM

MASN / Kubatko: http://www.masnsport...n-and-more.html

"Reynolds is close to going on a rehab assignment. He's moving around, taking ground balls and not experiencing any discomfort in his oblique."

#64 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,101 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:16 AM

5/26 AA: 1 for 4, 1 bb, 2 k's

#65 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:20 AM

5/26 AA: 1 for 4, 1 bb, 2 k's

And an error.

Only missing a homer for the perfect Reynolds game.

Well I hear Linda Ronstadt is looking for a guitar player.

#66 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,630 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:59 AM

It will be interesting to see if Reynolds joins the team in Toronto along with Chavez. I still think Reynolds is our best option at 3B right now but I do not think Buck feels that way.
@mikeghg

#67 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:22 AM

It will be interesting to see if Reynolds joins the team in Toronto along with Chavez. I still think Reynolds is our best option at 3B right now but I do not think Buck feels that way.

Yea I agree..I think he is by far our best option right now.

#68 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,630 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 May 2012 - 11:10 AM

Reynolds is better than he has played. I am not a proponent of shutting a still young guy that has a track record down. My feeling is he will eventually seek his levels. I think Reynolds is capable of being better in the field. He is never going to win a gold glove but if he can stop over thinking things he can be better. Until we find a better option he should get the most PT at third.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@mikeghg

#69 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 27 May 2012 - 11:27 AM

I think Hardy at 3B, Andino at SS and Reynolds at DH might be better than Reynolds at 3B, Hardy at SS and Johnson at DH. Just think it's a little more balanced offense/defense.
@JeremyMStrain

#70 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,630 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 May 2012 - 11:32 AM

I think Hardy at 3B, Andino at SS and Reynolds at DH might be better than Reynolds at 3B, Hardy at SS and Johnson at DH. Just think it's a little more balanced offense/defense.

Why would we move Hardy off SS. He is a plus defender. Andino may be more flashy at times but no where near as effective as JJ at making every play. Hardy reminds me off Ripken and Bordick at SS. If they touch it, it is an out. That can not be discounted..
@mikeghg

#71 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:37 AM

Why would we move Hardy off SS. He is a plus defender. Andino may be more flashy at times but no where near as effective as JJ at making every play. Hardy reminds me off Ripken and Bordick at SS. If they touch it, it is an out. That can not be discounted..

Total agreement, don't mess with success.
@levineps

#72 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:20 AM

Because we have Hardy for one more year and a young SS coming up in a year or so to squeeze in, with no 3B in the system and no FA to sign to fill it. As a veteran, I think Hardy could handle 3B better than Manny, but it also might be worth trying him at 3B and comparing which to move, but Hardy's bat would play ok at 3B, so if you are trying to fill a hole with no solution, you gotta get creative.
@JeremyMStrain

#73 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:33 AM

Because we have Hardy for one more year and a young SS coming up in a year or so to squeeze in, with no 3B in the system and no FA to sign to fill it. As a veteran, I think Hardy could handle 3B better than Manny, but it also might be worth trying him at 3B and comparing which to move, but Hardy's bat would play ok at 3B, so if you are trying to fill a hole with no solution, you gotta get creative.

O's signed Hardy to a three year deal during the season last year. He is under contract through 2014.

#74 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:50 AM

O's signed Hardy to a three year deal during the season last year. He is under contract through 2014.

I thought it took the place of last year and then it was two more years after, my bad.

Either way, still have 0 third baseman and 2 SS, gotta make a move.
@JeremyMStrain

#75 waroriole

waroriole

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 519 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:58 AM

I thought it took the place of last year and then it was two more years after, my bad.

You don't move your GG caliber SS off of SS during the season. Especially, when the guy who is replacing him could play 3B. If you want to move Hardy off SS, you do it during the off season so he can prepare for 3B.

Otherwise, I agree that a lineup of

3B: Andino
SS: Hardy
DH: Reynolds

is preferable to:

3B: Reynolds
DH: Johnson

#76 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:17 AM

You don't move your GG caliber SS off of SS during the season. Especially, when the guy who is replacing him could play 3B. If you want to move Hardy off SS, you do it during the off season so he can prepare for 3B.

is preferable to:

SS to 3B isn't that hard of an adjustment that he couldn't do it in-season, but either way get the gist. The thinking was if you do bring Manny up next year, you are going to do it June 1/mid June which is right now, so you'd be making the move at the same time next year. Then if Manny really pushes the 2nd half you could kick around the idea of bringing him up June 1 next year.

You got the general idea of what I was saying though. Gotta use the tools we have to fix that hole, and keeping Andino as your backup is the best scenario.
@JeremyMStrain

#77 waroriole

waroriole

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 519 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:25 AM

is preferable to:

SS to 3B isn't that hard of an adjustment that he couldn't do it in-season, but either way get the gist. The thinking was if you do bring Manny up next year, you are going to do it June 1/mid June which is right now, so you'd be making the move at the same time next year. Then if Manny really pushes the 2nd half you could kick around the idea of bringing him up June 1 next year.

You got the general idea of what I was saying though. Gotta use the tools we have to fix that hole, and keeping Andino as your backup is the best scenario.

Yeah, I get the point. We're going to have to do this soon, or even Machado to 3B at first. I think next year in spring, we'll see Hardy play some 3B. The idea being that we just want to keep our options open. I also think that Machado will start learning 3B too.

I could see Hardy being upset that he is being asked to move to 3B for a rookie. Especially if he continues playing like he is. It's a bit of a demotion, and it hurts his value for his next contract if he moves off SS. I don't want to create a situation where we might HAVE to move Hardy. Let's see what works best for now, as far as who moves to 3B, and keep all our options open.

#78 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:37 AM

According to Roch Reynolds isn't in the lineup for Bowie. Might be a sign he is the 25 man replacement for Stu.

#79 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:38 AM

Yeah, I get the point. We're going to have to do this soon, or even Machado to 3B at first. I think next year in spring, we'll see Hardy play some 3B. The idea being that we just want to keep our options open. I also think that Machado will start learning 3B too.

I could see Hardy being upset that he is being asked to move to 3B for a rookie. Especially if he continues playing like he is. It's a bit of a demotion, and it hurts his value for his next contract if he moves off SS. I don't want to create a situation where we might HAVE to move Hardy. Let's see what works best for now, as far as who moves to 3B, and keep all our options open.

I don't know if it would hurt his value. If it would, it would be minimal. Allow me to explain. Here's a list of all the elite 3B:

Evan Longoria
Miguel Cabrera
Adrian Beltre
Ryan Zimmerman
David Wright
Hanley Ramirez

All but one of those guys (David Wright, who has HUGE injury problems) are locked up long-term. So basically, third basemen are at a premium these days. If Hardy could prove himself to be a capable fielder at third base and keep his offensive numbers, he could be primed for a very nice contract. I think he could handle the change. It's just a question of if he wants to.
  • JeremyStrain likes this

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

#80 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:56 AM

Yeah it could be an issue, it's hard to tell without actually bringing it up to him, but he is getting older and his glove is great but his range has always been a little less, as that starts to fade, he's going to have to go to 2B/3B anyway. He's always reminded me a bit of Jeff Kent.

Like Dave said though, premium positions tend to ebb and flow on supply and demand, right now there is a vacuum of 3B in the ML, and more good offensive SS than 3B, so he might actually stay the same or increase his value a bit by moving. Going to 2B would have a neg value effect I think, but SS/3B aren't TOO far apart these days. I'm sure we can come up with a solution, and it's better than anything we could get in FA, but I think that's part of why the Nats were leaving Rendon at 3B, his value is actually higher there than at 2B, so if they trade him they could get a good bounty, and if not they could move someone to 1B and the other goes to 3B between him and Zim.
@JeremyMStrain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=