#1241 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 March 2021 - 12:16 PM

I don't really care about any of this. The main point is that Yan did something that is awful and not defensible. That's where all the energy should be directed here.

Agreed. I'm surprised there's an "other side" to this one. That was egregious, IMO. Maybe trying to knee a guy to death shouldn't be part of it at all? There's enough you CAN do. But I guess for some, the UFC will never quite be ultimate enough.
  • mweb08 likes this

#1242 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,607 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 07 March 2021 - 12:20 PM

I’m just bitter cuz I bet on Yan lol

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#1243 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 March 2021 - 12:22 PM

I’m just bitter cuz I bet on Yan lol

Good bet, he was definitely going to win. That's as fluke/freak a result as you'll ever see in a championship bout.
  • Pedro Cerrano likes this

#1244 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 07 March 2021 - 12:22 PM

Agreed. I'm surprised there's a "other side" to this one. That was egregious, IMO. Maybe trying to knee a guy to death shouldn't be part of it at all? There's enough you CAN do. But I guess for some, the UFC will never quite be ultimate enough.

Not really an other side. Yan committed a horrible dangerous blatantly obvious foul and the right call was made, in fact it should’ve been made sooner.

My thing about the semantics of the rule is separate from what happened last night. It wouldn’t be as dangerous to knee a downed opponent if the rules allowed it because the fighters in that position would know it and be on the defensive. (Obviously everything about the sport is dangerous, hopefully you know what I mean.)
  • You Play to Win the Game and TwentyThirtyFive like this

#1245 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 07 March 2021 - 12:23 PM

I don’t get the rule. So if you need a break you just go down on one knee and the other guy can’t do anything to you?

Doesn’t make a lot of sense to me but I don’t know much about this sport

He could’ve kneed him in the chest or body, just not the head.

#1246 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,607 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 12:23 PM

Good bet, he was definitely going to win. That's as fluke/freak a result as you'll ever see in a championship bout.

Yea I was mad. But I had a Nunes 1st round win super odds boost so I got over it quickly.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

@bopper33

#1247 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,607 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 12:24 PM

He could’ve kneed him in the chest or body, just not the head.

Could he have punched him in the head?

@bopper33

#1248 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 07 March 2021 - 12:32 PM

Not really an other side. Yan committed a horrible dangerous blatantly obvious foul and the right call was made, in fact it should’ve been made sooner.

My thing about the semantics of the rule is separate from what happened last night. It wouldn’t be as dangerous to knee a downed opponent if the rules allowed it because the fighters in that position would know it and be on the defensive. (Obviously everything about the sport is dangerous, hopefully you know what I mean.)

The call definitely should have been made sooner. It's one thing to leave it up to the fighter when there's some foul that causes relatively mild damage, but in this case, it was horrible to put that on Sterling for all that time before they finally called it.

• BobPhelan likes this

#1249 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 March 2021 - 12:37 PM

Yeah I couldn't believe it was even a question.

#1250 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 07 March 2021 - 01:08 PM

Could he have punched him in the head?

Yes. Absolutely no reason to throw that knee in that situation other than extreme malice or frustration. I think it was the latter but 🤷🏼‍♂️.

#1251 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,306 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 01:34 PM

I agree the ref should have DQd him as soon as it happened. Its a foul but that has to be resolved. As Bob said, the only reason it looked and ultimately was as bad as it was is because Sterling thought he was safe by doing it. And there is just something wrong about that considering if he'd raised that knee a centimeter off the mat it was a legal move.

Also again Ill say. He lost his title. Fine him. Hell maybe give him a suspension. That said, its the damn fight game. The objective is to finish the guy in front of you and youre a trained killer. It cant be easy to see a wounded duck floundering and not instinctively go for the kill. And Jesus please dont overanalysis my use of the words killer and kill. Its a common expression.

#1252 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 02:05 PM

I agree the ref should have DQd him as soon as it happened. Its a foul but that has to be resolved. As Bob said, the only reason it looked and ultimately was as bad as it was is because Sterling thought he was safe by doing it. And there is just something wrong about that considering if he'd raised that knee a centimeter off the mat it was a legal move.

Also again Ill say. He lost his title. Fine him. Hell maybe give him a suspension. That said, its the damn fight game. The objective is to finish the guy in front of you and youre a trained killer. It cant be easy to see a wounded duck floundering and not instinctively go for the kill. And Jesus please dont overanalysis my use of the words killer and kill. Its a common expression.

Yet somehow he and everyone else manages to consistently avoid doing that, so I guess it is pretty easy.

#1253 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,306 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 02:12 PM

But they dont. Plenty of fouls and rather consistently in MMA including knees to downed opponents. So often the fighter affected continues which I agree sometimes should be taken out of their hands. Most fighters feel they have to continue through fouls.

#1254 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 02:26 PM

But they dont. Plenty of fouls and rather consistently in MMA including knees to downed opponents. So often the fighter affected continues which I agree sometimes should be taken out of their hands. Most fighters feel they have to continue through fouls.

I've never seen a foul of that nature so egregious. Maybe you can point out all the examples. Based on how you're talking, there better be a lot.

And yeah man, it is pretty easy not to do what Yan did. Guys refrain from doing that consistently and I don't know how you can possibly push back on that statement, but I guess if you want to continue to make excuses for Yan while blaming Sterling, then it makes sense to take your stance.

#1255 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,607 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 02:41 PM

Yes. Absolutely no reason to throw that knee in that situation other than extreme malice or frustration. I think it was the latter but 🤷🏼‍♂️.

Seems odd. I get a knee is more devastating but isn’t the idea of the sport to pummel your opponent into submission?
  • BobPhelan likes this

@bopper33

#1256 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 07 March 2021 - 04:49 PM

Seems odd. I get a knee is more devastating but isn’t the idea of the sport to pummel your opponent into submission?

Yeah it’s weird.

Mike - Jon Jones did the same thing last year to Anthony Smith late into a fight he was dominating and then Smith got kudos for continuing to fight.

#1257 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 05:33 PM

Yeah it’s weird.

Mike - Jon Jones did the same thing last year to Anthony Smith late into a fight he was dominating and then Smith got kudos for continuing to fight.

I saw that and it was not the same thing. I mean it was a knee to the head, but the circumstances and level of egregiousness were not equal. Jones was also in the wrong, but Smith's knee was not down, rather his hand was, and he was seemingly about to get up completely. So again, not cool by Jones, but that was way more understandable than this. I don't see how there could have been any legit misunderstanding or timing issue with Yan. All that said, if Jones lost his belt due that, then that would have been a legit outcome based on what he did. 

#1258 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 07 March 2021 - 05:38 PM

I saw that and it was not the same thing. I mean it was a knee to the head, but the circumstances and level of egregiousness were not equal. Jones was also in the wrong, but Smith's knee was not down, rather his hand was, and he was seemingly about to get up completely. So again, not cool by Jones, but that was way more understandable than this. I don't see how there could have been any legit misunderstanding or timing issue with Yan. All that said, if Jones lost his belt due that, then that would have been a legit outcome based on what he did.

Agreed, just the first example that came to mind.

#1259 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,306 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 01:50 AM

Im not excusing Yan. Have said multiple times punish him and I said I do think it was intentional out of frustration.

The completely different conversations is 1. the legality of the knees to downed opponents. 2. fighters using the rule as a stall tactic 3. the mindset of trained, professional fighters in the octagon. You may not remember an egregious knee like that but there are numerous instances of fighters crossing lines in the octagon/cage.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#1260 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 08:39 AM

Im not excusing Yan. Have said multiple times punish him and I said I do think it was intentional out of frustration.

The completely different conversations is 1. the legality of the knees to downed opponents. 2. fighters using the rule as a stall tactic 3. the mindset of trained, professional fighters in the octagon. You may not remember an egregious knee like that but there are numerous instances of fighters crossing lines in the octagon/cage.

You have been making excuses for him.

I showed the flaw in the stall tactic logic.

And I guess you also can't remember a knee that egregious since you've provided zero examples.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=