#1221 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 07 March 2021 - 12:36 AM

This Yan/Sterling fight. One of the craziest things I've ever seen. Just wow. Yan was just dominating that fight. Completely unnecessary, I just can't believe he did this.

I wouldn't say he was dominating, but it was trending in that direction.

Incredibly egregious strike by Yan. I feel really bad for Sterling.

#1222 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,535 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 March 2021 - 12:37 AM

I wouldn't say he was dominating, but it was trending in that direction.

Incredibly egregious strike by Yan. I feel really bad for Sterling.

Yeah, wrong word choice. But it was definitely over in his favor IMO had it played out.

#1223 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,388 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 01:22 AM

Stay in your lane Adesana.

I haven't seen the Yan foul yet but run that back and get him his belt back.

#1224 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,535 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 March 2021 - 01:23 AM

Ridiculously impressive by Blachowicz. He played that brilliantly.

#1225 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,388 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 01:24 AM

If you're gonna come up man make it a fight. Really go for it. I dont think there was a mark on either of those guys.

#1226 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,388 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 01:28 AM

I gotta start betting some of these fights. Two weeks in a row I woulda made some nice change on underdogs with Blachowicz and Lewis.

#1227 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 07 March 2021 - 01:53 AM

Adesanya is just not big enough (at least yet) to be elite at that weight class. Reminds me of when Max Holloway fought Dustin Poirier for the interim lightweight belt.

Amanda Nunes is unstoppable. Shut down women’s featherweight and do the third Shevchenko fight.

Terrible, terrible mistake by Yan. Feel bad for Aljo, he did nothing wrong, but he was going to lose that fight. At least he’ll earn some extra money being champion when they do the rematch.

#1228 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 02:16 AM

If Sterling wants to give Yan a rematch, then obviously that's his prerogative, but he doesn't owe Yan anything.

This is also the type of offense that should go beyond just being DQ'd.

#1229 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,388 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 03:29 AM

I mean wtf is Sterling doing there. Literally just on one knee turtling to rest. Yan isnt going to wrestle him. So as a striker all he can do is backup and have the ref stand the guy up. Some comprimise needs to be made. Ive seen too many guys tired or hurt go to one knee to try to buy time. Its a tactic to buy time or get the other guy to foul.

#1230 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,388 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 03:57 AM

I do think Yan was frustrated in the moment and knew what he was doing. Fine him. I just think that rule should go. You can knee a guy in the clinch or when he's bent over. Its really no different.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#1231 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 07 March 2021 - 08:01 AM

I do think Yan was frustrated in the moment and knew what he was doing. Fine him. I just think that rule should go. You can knee a guy in the clinch or when he's bent over. Its really no different.

Agreed, it’s a stupid rule. If a guy is crouched like a catcher it’s fine but illegal if a knee is down?

But it’s still a rule.

#1232 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,388 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 10:25 AM

Agreed, it’s a stupid rule. If a guy is crouched like a catcher it’s fine but illegal if a knee is down?

But it’s still a rule.

For sure. And again I ask what was Sterling doing in that turtle position. Make a knee there legal and I promise he's not content to stay in that position.

#1233 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 10:48 AM

I can't believe this question is being asked here. What is he doing? He's doing what is legal and smart in that situation. There shouldn't be any blaming of him for this or attempting to justify what Yan did. That was as bad as it gets and it's all on Yan.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#1234 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,388 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 11:14 AM

Its a stalling tactic or he was just completely done. If you dont want to fight any more then give up. If the fighter gets in a turtle position like that for 7-8 sec without doing anything at all the ref should at best warn and deduct a point. Maybe even wave it off

#1235 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,388 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 11:23 AM

The correct call was made according to the rule. Fine him. Make him earn the belt back. Also change the rule. Its that cut and dry.

#1236 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,610 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 07 March 2021 - 11:36 AM

I don’t get the rule. So if you need a break you just go down on one knee and the other guy can’t do anything to you?

Doesn’t make a lot of sense to me but I don’t know much about this sport

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#1237 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,388 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 11:41 AM

I don’t get the rule. So if you need a break you just go down on one knee and the other guy can’t do anything to you?

Doesn’t make a lot of sense to me but I don’t know much about this sport

You can punch him, wrestle, try to submit him. Just no kicks or knees but literally you pick up the knee barely off the mat and it is legal. Its ok to knee your opponent in the head in most situations. The turtle tactic while completely coherent and used as a stalling tactic is not why the rule is in place.

#1238 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 11:55 AM

Its a stalling tactic or he was just completely done. If you dont want to fight any more then give up. If the fighter gets in a turtle position like that for 7-8 sec without doing anything at all the ref should at best warn and deduct a point. Maybe even wave it off

I don't really care about any of this. The main point is that Yan did something that is awful and not defensible. That's where all the energy should be directed here.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#1239 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 12:02 PM

There were several times where Sterling was down in this fight and Yan didn't want to follow him to the ground, so he'd generally do some leg kicks, back off, and then Sterling would get up. If Yan wanted the fight to go back up to the feet, all he had to do was back up and make that happen. Or he has plenty of other options at his disposal, but again, he didn't like those options. Instead of letting him back up where he wants the fight to be, he chose to go with probably the most blatant and egregious illegal action I've seen in MMA. Unacceptable.

#1240 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 12:07 PM

The stalling tactic applies both ways here as I just described. If a guy goes to the ground, then the other guy refuses to take the fight to the ground with an advantageous position (not considering skills of each fighter), then the guy standing is also stalling if he just remains in a striking position while refusing to do anything. If that guy wants the action to continue, he either takes it to the ground or allows the guy to get up. So both are stalling in that type of situation and we know that because that's literally the only way the fight gets stalled in that situation. It takes both fighters to cooperate in that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=