Israel Adesanya is the absolute truth.

#1182 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,388 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 04:29 PM

I expected an Israel finish. Not so much on the Blachowicz finish.

#1183 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,312 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 08:45 AM

McGregor says he will fight Poirier on Jan. 23

#1184 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,312 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 06:22 PM

CBS Sports: UFC 254 predictions -Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Justin Gaethje: Fight card, odds, expert picks, prelims, date

https://www.cbssport...s-prelims-date/

#1185 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,312 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 07:07 AM

The Ringer: Khabib Nurmagomedov’s Final Finish Catches Everyone Off Guard

#1186 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 26 October 2020 - 02:34 PM

GOAT?

#1187 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,388 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 06:14 PM

Interesting debate for Goat between GSP, Jones, and Khabib.

#1188 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 26 October 2020 - 06:52 PM

GOAT?

Mt Rushmore for sure.

1. Jon Jones
2. Khabib
3. GSP
4. Amanda Nunes

#1189 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 07:11 PM

Any concern with not including anyone that is 40 or older?

#1190 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,388 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 08:20 PM

I think guys like Anderson, Cormier, Fedor are just a notch below. Though Anderson might be ahead of Nunez on a Mt Rushmore for now.

#1191 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 08:48 PM

My biggest issue with Khabib is that while maybe he's the best ever, I don't think he has proven it at the highest level for long enough.

#1192 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,388 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 10:01 PM

My biggest issue with Khabib is that while maybe he's the best ever, I don't think he has proven it at the highest level for long enough.

The last 3 guys he beat are the cream of the crop of the lightweight division and he smashed all 3. His dominance in every fight is what puts him right there for me. He's lost 2 rounds in his career and I could make a strong argument he didnt lose either.

The GOAT discussion is tough in a sport like MMA because you have to count the losses for guys like Fedor and Silva once they exit their prime. Having a discussion about who was the best in their prime is a different discussion.

#1193 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 10:50 PM

The last 3 guys he beat are the cream of the crop of the lightweight division and he smashed all 3. His dominance in every fight is what puts him right there for me. He's lost 2 rounds in his career and I could make a strong argument he didnt lose either.

The GOAT discussion is tough in a sport like MMA because you have to count the losses for guys like Fedor and Silva once they exit their prime. Having a discussion about who was the best in their prime is a different discussion.

Yeah, but that's just 3 fights. Most fighters in this discussion, have 10+ title level fights. And assuming he doesn't return to the octagon, he can't build on it like a Jones or Nunes can.

And sure, you have to count late career losses for those guys you mention, but I don't penalize them for it when comparing to a guy that retired in the midst of his prime. I consider it though when comparing to fighters who had stronger late career finishes.

For instance, MJ's Wizards years don't hurt him in my book even though those were essentially like Fedor and Silva taking some late career L's. However, if someone is still crushing it at a similar stage of their career, that has to matter.

#1194 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,388 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 11:28 PM

Its really an interesting debate that I dont have a clear answer for if Im being honest.I do think its down to the 3 I mentioned but I could make a real case for all 3. I understand your point about not doing it long enough but man is it hard to see another lightweight beating him anytime soon. Its fighting.It only takes one punch but that dude sure looks like an android. Its also a very fluid debate.

Btw I do expect him to stay retired. He sure seems like a man that when he gives his word to his mom is going to stick to it.

#1195 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 11:42 PM

Agree on the last part.

And yes, he probably had the most dominant stretch of 5ish fights against elite competition ever. So he likely has the peak argument, but he comes up well short on the longevity of peak component on the resume.

He may well have been able to dominate elite competition earlier or later, but I don't think he was screwed over on the former (correct me if he was screwed regarding opportunity) and the latter is his choice so I'm not going to give him extra credit since it's assumed he could have kept dominating.

#1196 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 27 October 2020 - 03:54 AM

The sport has developed at such a rate that it makes sense to me to have younger guys at the top. Silva and Fedor are still up there in the elite and their peaks are hard to rival but the utter domination Khabib has shown against guys who just don’t get dominated is something else. Jones’ run when he was on his way to win the belt and then defend it is the only thing that compares.

I would probably have Demetrius Johnson 5, Silva 6, Fedor 7.

#1197 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,388 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 05:38 AM

Jones is in a division where guys just get knocked out and lose. He didnt get beat and bested a lot of very good talent, including DC who I believe is in the 2nd tier. On the other hand, I 100% know he cheated. I dont know that Khabib or GSP did. If Jones moves up to heavyweight and beats Stipe who's probably also 2nd tier then I may have to give the nod. Again, fluid situation.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#1198 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 27 October 2020 - 08:17 AM

Khabib has also basically gone his entire career without taking any damage. Never been cut, only lost two rounds in his UFC career, I don’t believe has been taken down at least in the UFC. I also think he could go take the welterweight belt if he wanted to. Really wish we could see those potential future match-ups but respect to the guy for going out on top.

#1199 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,388 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 08:22 AM

Yeah, he was completely dominant. Guys just lose rounds at the top of a UFC division. Again, the 2 rounds he lost were debateable anyway. Then again, some of the rounds he won at some point may have been debateable. I cant remember every round he fought. I know he seemingly got better. He decisioned guys earlier in his career but stopped the 3 guys in title fights. mweb questioned his competiton earlier in his career. Which is fair to a point but its also fair to point out that when you're on the come up in the UFC and you're the boogeyman its hard to get guys above you to fight you. I wish there were mandatory fights based on rankings in the UFC.

#1200 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 08:34 AM

Khabib has also basically gone his entire career without taking any damage. Never been cut, only lost two rounds in his UFC career, I don’t believe has been taken down at least in the UFC. I also think he could go take the welterweight belt if he wanted to. Really wish we could see those potential future match-ups but respect to the guy for going out on top.

I believe that the article that Stoner posted said he was taken down twice, but yeah, dude has been incredibly dominant.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=