#322 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,235 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

Latest from jersey guy:

http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=5238

According to sources familiar with the talks now being held among the Catholic 7, the group will initially focus on a 10 team conference, which would mean invitations to Butler and Xavier of the Atlantic 10. An internal tug of war over the 10th team is being waged with Marquette leading a charge to include Creighton, while Georgetown and the Eastern Catholic schools are focusing on Richmond of the Atlantic 10.
Love a 10 team league to start.

Also notes that they may look at the WCC commish to lead the new league.

#323 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,235 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:46 PM

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN
Big East deal w/ESPN is $10M for 2013-14 hoops only; $20M for 2014-20 for football/hoops; CBS also worth at least $2M/year in '14

How does this impact the C7? My opinion is that this certainly means they will form their own conference for 2013.

#324 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,235 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

http://m.espn.go.com... ... rc=desktop

IT'S HAPPENING!!! X and butler for 2013, likely only 9 teams for the first year

#325 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,153 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:21 PM

http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/story?storyId=9000502&src=desktop

IT'S HAPPENING!!! X and butler for 2013, likely only 9 teams for the first year

Should be a great basketball league. Huge for them to keep the Big East name.

Will be interesting to see what UConn, Cincinnati, Temple and Memphis do. I guess they will attempt to grab from the A10 as well.

Seeing the reports of Louisville trying to join the ACC next year. Don't see it happening...

#326 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,235 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:09 AM

Should be a great basketball league. Huge for them to keep the Big East name.

Will be interesting to see what UConn, Cincinnati, Temple and Memphis do. I guess they will attempt to grab from the A10 as well.

Seeing the reports of Louisville trying to join the ACC next year. Don't see it happening...

Also of note is that Notre Dame AD Jack Swarbrick said that the Irish would consider a move with the C9 for 2013 before they head off to the ACC.

As for your point about the unnamed conference, for now, I don't think they add any non football schools. They could but I don't see it. I would expect to see them add a combo of Southern Miss, Tulsa, UMass, etc.

#327 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,235 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:21 PM

http://espn.go.com/c... ... ing-report

#328 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,235 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:59 AM

Expect an announcement of the Big East split sometime today.

If you haven't been following along here is a synopsis:
1. The Catholic 7 will retain the Big East, Madison Square Garden, and $10 million.
2. They will invite Xavier and Butler next week. While no 10th team is for sure, Creighton appears to be the favorite. It appears like #11 and #12 will be determined at a later date.
3. In the split agreement, the other group (Cincy, UConn, USF, Temple, and the new schools: Houston, UCF, SMU, Memphis) will form their own league. This group will get $100 million (also: these monies come from past Big East exit fees, tournament credits, etc.). They will have to form new offices, a new tournament location, and most importantly, a new name.
4. Early reports say that they will have their 2014 conference tournament in Hartford, CT. They will then move the tournament around to other cities like Memphis, Cincinnati, etc.
5. Earlier today, it was tweeted that the "leftovers" have filed for a domain name of "America 12" as a possible new conference name.

#329 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:15 PM

5. Earlier today, it was tweeted that the "leftovers" have filed for a domain name of "America 12" as a possible new conference name.

I liked the idea of reviving the old "Metro Conference" name, since the new group will include some of the old members and it might be faster and easier to rebuild the brand. America 12? Eh.

#330 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,235 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:17 PM

I liked the idea of reviving the old "Metro Conference" name, since the new group will include some of the old members and it might be faster and easier to rebuild the brand. America 12? Eh.

Metro is 10x better than America 12. Hell AmericaN 12 is better.

It just reeks of CUSA, both in name and in teams in the league, which is not good for them going forward.

#331 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:28 PM

Metro is 10x better than America 12. Hell AmericaN 12 is better.

It just reeks of CUSA, both in name and in teams in the league, which is not good for them going forward.

And there's also the little matter that they won't even have 12 members at least until Navy joins in 2015. Of course, that hasn't stopped anyone else from having these mathematically-challenged names.

#332 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:26 AM

I've put a suggestion out there on Twitter a couple of times, under my ConferenceExpansion.com handle @CExpansion... Conference Prime.

#333 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,235 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:21 PM

Notre Dame is officially in the ACC for next year, per Pete Thamel.

#334 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,153 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:32 AM

SI: http://college-baske.../?sct=uk_t11_a6

#335 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:37 AM

Let me guess the ACC will now send Maryland (with no return trips) to: Syracuse, Duke, Miami, UNC, and South Bend?
@levineps

#336 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,551 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:17 PM

It would be really nice if next year was our Big 10 debut.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#337 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,235 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:24 PM

It would be really nice if next year was our Big 10 debut.

I doubt it. It would make sense for all involved (so that Louisville could join the Big East for '13 and not be in Conference TBA), but it sounds like the ACC really wants to go to court with Maryland to settle this.

Also, take it fwiw, but I've heard that the Big East will send out invites and formally announce teams next Tuesday (after conference tourneys, right before the NCAAs). Xavier and Butler will be 8 and 9. Creighton is the 10th if they go that high.

#338 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:59 PM

Can't recall where we were discussing this before, but JHU has formed a committee to look into joining a lacrosse conference. Would love to see them in the Big Ten with UM. Would not be at all surprised to see the ACC try to woo them though. That would be a killer conference.....Hopkins, Syracuse, ND, UVA, UNC, Duke.

http://www.baltimore...0,2083539.story

#339 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,235 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:22 PM

Can't recall where we were discussing this before, but JHU has formed a committee to look into joining a lacrosse conference. Would love to see them in the Big Ten with UM. Would not be at all surprised to see the ACC try to woo them though. That would be a killer conference.....Hopkins, Syracuse, ND, UVA, UNC, Duke.

http://www.baltimore...0,2083539.story

Interesting that the article includes the Big East as an option and not the ACC. I assume that Hopkins is looking for an easy automatic-qualifier berth? Maybe that's why? To my knowledge, only a few of the Big East schools (Gtown, Nova, St John's, Marquette) play lacrosse.

#340 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:02 PM

Interesting that the article includes the Big East as an option and not the ACC. I assume that Hopkins is looking for an easy automatic-qualifier berth? Maybe that's why? To my knowledge, only a few of the Big East schools (Gtown, Nova, St John's, Marquette) play lacrosse.

Good point. I know they want to continue playing many of the traditional powers annually, so joining a light conference (and a small one with fewer scheduling commitments) still gives them the chance to do that while also having a relatively easy path to the NCAAs. I wasn't even aware that Marquette played lacrosse.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=