388 replies to this topic

#301 Why Not?

Why Not?

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 327 posts
  • LocationCharles Town, W.Va.

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:33 PM

That's probably about right. Keep in mind I'm pulling those combinations out of my rear end.

It seems like any number of Big 12 schools would like to move to the Big 10.

As conferences try to get bigger and better and reach max capacity, I wonder if we will see a situation where less-desirable schools get booted from their conference. What if, say, Texas is ready to join the B1G but there is no suitable partner. Would the B1G be willing to pay off Iowa to leave the conference?

#302 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,252 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:35 PM

UNC, Ga tech, and UVA to Big Ten? These guys broke the Terpa move last fall.

Jeff Ermann ‏@insidemdsports
Big 10 talk buzzing again. #UVA being mentioned often as likely to join. Georgia Tech still in the mix. #UNC, the big domino, has an offer.

UNC? Real life, I believe. RT@NYTerp1413 is it a real offer or just a school on the accepted list...

I'm speaking out of turn, but I'd say the Big 10 likely views GT and UVA as 8s ... And UNC as Kate Upton. Heels are the apocalyptic domino.

Not sure. But it's churning. RT@mjotwits Anyone else reporting these schools possibly joining Big 10? Big 10 kept things quiet with MD & Rut

#303 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,068 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

I'll feel much better about MD moving to the Big 10 if UNC and UVA are also coming along. Don't particularly care about GT, Maryland engineering always had a big rivalry with them academically, but sportswise there isn't any particular focus there, aside from when both are good and going up against each other.

#304 BustaJ2632

BustaJ2632
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:58 PM

Jeff Ermann on InsideMdSports.com (some of you are familiar) is reporting that movement with respect to further Big 10 expansion is expected by the NCAA Tournament's end. UNC evidently "has an offer" already. UVA is expected to join, Georgia Tech also a possibility (not sure if they would be invited without the first two saying yes). No word on a fourth possibility that would bring them to 18. My guess, barring Notre Dame, would be Syracuse, although FSU is reportedly filing for expedited AAU status.

EDIT: Whoops, I got sidetracked and was beaten to the post. I'm not THAT slow a typist.
@samangell2007

#305 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:20 PM

Hard for me to believe that UNC goes anywhere without Duke.

#306 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

If basketball drove things, it would be near-impossible. If Texas and A&M can split, I think that was less likely 5 years ago.
@levineps

#307 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,252 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:38 PM

SG, let's say UNC does go to the B1G without Duke. Are you happy with the ACC (let's assume they add UConn/Cincy) or do you hope for an SEC invite?

#308 BustaJ2632

BustaJ2632
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

No offense to SG...I would be floored if Duke got an SEC or Big Ten invite. Their football is too godawful, and they do nothing that North Carolina doesn't do (UNC brings two top 30 TV markets...Duke really only brings one, if that...also UNC is just as big a national basketball brand as Duke, and has generally respectable football). At some point, UNC is going to have to look out for itself. I always assumed it would be after FSU and Clemson left. Maybe they're being more proactive than I anticipated.

I think if anything, UNC is more tied to NC State politically. In the same way that the Virginia legislature basically forced Virginia to push VT into the ACC, I could see the State of North Carolina making sure that UNC doesn't leave unless NC State has a safe landing place (which I think they will, in the SEC or maybe Big XII). Virginia could be the same (again, VT would almost certainly have a spot in one of those two conferences if they want it). Duke wouldn't have anywhere near that type of political safety net.
@samangell2007

#309 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,252 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:59 PM

So you would want them to remain with whatever the ACC remnants become?

For the sake of argument, let's say that the Big Ten takes GA Tech, UNC, and UVA. SEC takes Va Tech, NC State. Big XII takes Florida St. and Clemson.

ACC is left at Wake, Duke, Miami, BC, Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville. Potential adds being Cincy, UConn, USF.

Would you be OK with that cofnerence or try to join the SEC/B1G?

#310 BustaJ2632

BustaJ2632
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:08 PM

So you would want them to remain with whatever the ACC remnants become?

For the sake of argument, let's say that the Big Ten takes GA Tech, UNC, and UVA. SEC takes Va Tech, NC State. Big XII takes Florida St. and Clemson.

ACC is left at Wake, Duke, Miami, BC, Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville. Potential adds being Cincy, UConn, USF.

Would you be OK with that cofnerence or try to join the SEC/B1G?

I'm not Sports Guy, but I don't think the decision will be Duke's. If I am Duke (*shudder*), I would jump at any offer from the Big 10, SEC or Big XII. Frankly I would do that if I were any school in the ACC or the remainder of the Big East right now. But my point is that Duke ultimately doesn't do enough to warrant an invitation from any of those conferences. Maybe - MAYBE - the SEC if NC State ends up in the Big XII, to get a presence in North Carolina. But even then, I would think it's highly unlikely.
@samangell2007

#311 BustaJ2632

BustaJ2632
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:11 PM

Also I would bet that Temple would be added before USF, probably before Cincinnati too. Not great football, but they've shown the willingness over the past decade or so to start pumping money into that program. Excellent basketball for a long time. And most importantly, a foothold in the Philadelphia area.
@samangell2007

#312 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,252 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

Also I would bet that Temple would be added before USF, probably before Cincinnati too. Not great football, but they've shown the willingness over the past decade or so to start pumping money into that program. Excellent basketball for a long time. And most importantly, a foothold in the Philadelphia area.

Good point I had forgotten Temple.

Speaking of Cincinnati, a report today said that a month ago they'd see sending their football stadium expansion plans to every ACC school. Someone's desperate :D

#313 Why Not?

Why Not?

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 327 posts
  • LocationCharles Town, W.Va.

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:07 PM

I dunno, if you think the ship is sinking, you might jump on the first lifeboat you see.

UNC ultimately would make more money playing in the B1G w/o Duke than it would playing in a decimated ACC w/Duke. If UNC believes the ACC will be a shell of its former self, I think they jump on an offer from a more proactive, stable conference.

#314 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:31 PM

The biggest problem Duke faces is that the Big Ten already has Northwestern and the SEC already has Vanderbilt. While Duke basketball is far better individually than any athletics team at either school, those schools each help solidify a major market (Chicago and Nashville, respectively). Would either want to take on such a drag on the football league for a marginal gain, or even keeping UNC (and to a certain extant Maryland and UVA...hell, maybe even Rutgers) happy.

#315 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,068 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:51 PM

If I was Duke right now (vomit), I'd be funneling money into my football program, doing anything possible (maybe even cheating) to make another bowl in 2013 and hopefully get a couple good seasons in a row to trick some conference into thinking the football program, while obviously not good, is at least passable for the Big 10 or Big 12 or SEC.

#316 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:49 PM

ESPN: Big 12 holding off on title game push

http://espn.go.com/c...push-title-game

Bowlsby also said the formation of the committee that will pick the four teams for the upcoming football playoff is progressing. He said it will be larger than the NCAA Division I basketball tournament committee, of which he was the chairman in 2004 and 2005. The committee could possibly even have former or current media members, he said.

@levineps

#317 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

Hi all... it's been awhile. I've been working to get my ConferenceExpansion.com website up and running, and finally succeeded. I'm looking at CEX (my abbreviation for the site) becoming similar to MLBTR, but for Conference Expansion and Realignment news/rumors. I tweet daily via @CExpansion.

There's plenty of rumors and speculation out there regarding the potential B1G raid on the ACC, with the latest being North Carolina receiving an invite to the B1G, along with UVA (and possibly Georgia Tech). Depending on who/what you believe, Duke may get left behind. The possibilities regarding a B1G raid seem endless.

*Will UNC join the B1G?
*Would UVA and GTech join knowing UNC declined? And if so... would the B1G allow GTech in without a contiguous North Carolina school?
*If the long-rumored plunder of UVA/UNC/GTech/FSU goes down, and NC State and VaTech get SEC invites, would the Big 12 add more than Clemson and Miami?
*What happens to Duke if the B1G passes them by? Does Duke get a SEC invite, or perhaps one from the Big 12? If not, it seems they'd be relegated to a downgraded ACC, along with Wake, Pitt, Syracuse, BC, Louisville and new invites UConn, Cincinnati, USF, UCF? Maybe even Temple. Of course the Big 12 could potentially invite more than Clemson and Miami... but you see what I mean.

These questions could go on and on... but the fate of many hangs in the balance. I guess that's why it's such a fascinating topic.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#318 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,252 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:01 PM

Greg, nice to hear from you.

Funny you should post today. I was on my Xavier message board which also has a HUGE conference realignment thread and someone linked to a website. I clicked on it, read through, and saw your avatar there! Funny how that works out!

Good luck with the site. I'm sure it will continue to gain traction as a hub for all realignment news.

#319 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

Greg, nice to hear from you.

Funny you should post today. I was on my Xavier message board which also has a HUGE conference realignment thread and someone linked to a website. I clicked on it, read through, and saw your avatar there! Funny how that works out!

Good luck with the site. I'm sure it will continue to gain traction as a hub for all realignment news.

Thanks Chris! I saw your comment on Xavier Hoops and yes it is just a bit crazy... this whole topic of discussion is. :lol:

#320 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:17 PM

ESPN: Big East in talks with ESPN

http://espn.go.com/c...-men-basketball
@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic