• Please log in to reply
388 replies to this topic

#281 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,357 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

With SDSU remaining in the league, the MWC will have 12 football members this fall -- Air Force, Boise State, Colorado State, Fresno State, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, San Diego State, San Jose State, UNLV, Utah State and Wyoming.

That's a quality league. Probably only expect Boise State to be an annual Top 25 team, but pretty much every program has that capability depending on the year.

#282 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

That's a quality league. Probably only expect Boise State to be an annual Top 25 team, but pretty much every program has that capability depending on the year.

I assume they'll have a championship game?
@levineps

#283 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,523 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

I think they have the potential to consistently be the best conference among the "Group of Five" that will comprise the new college football landscape (MWC, Big East, MAC, CUSA, Sun Belt). And since the highest rated school from that group will be guaranteed access into the new BCS format, that will be a very important distinction going forward.

#284 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

ESPN: Conference USA adding two teams

http://espn.go.com/c...usa-sources-say

Florida Atlantic and Middle Tennessee State will leave the Sun Belt and join Conference USA on July 1, sources told ESPN on Friday.

@levineps

#285 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:31 AM

I assume they'll have a championship game?

To answer my own question... yes

ESPN: MWC to have conference title game

http://espn.go.com/c...ampionship-game
@levineps

#286 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:50 PM

ESPN: OSU's Gee: B1G expansion talks continue

http://espn.go.com/b...-talks-continue
@levineps

#287 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,523 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

Big East looking to add 12th school, and keep name

The Big East conference is looking to add another school and may sign a TV package that includes multiple networks, commissioner Mike Aresco said Monday.

Aresco said the Big East wants to keep its name as it rebrands, and no longer has any plans to expand further west than Texas.

"We probably at some point will add a 12th team," Aresco said. "We are going to have 11 when Navy comes in '15. We'll have 10 this year. There's no urgency, but we think we'll probably think about adding a 12th team."

With their BCS appeal gone, it would come down to how much TV money they're getting as to whether or not a school would even want to join. They may be forced to reach down to the MAC or Sun Belt to find an interested party now.

#288 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,523 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

ESPN: OSU's Gee: B1G expansion talks continue

http://espn.go.com/b...-talks-continue

They're just in a holding pattern until they see what happens with the UM/ACC exit fee lawsuits. If that is settled favorably for UM, they'll look for 2 more ACC teams in all likelihood.

#289 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:16 AM

ESPN: Big 12 ADs discuss staying at 10

http://espn.go.com/c...taying-10-teams
@levineps

#290 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

ESPN: Big 12 wants waiver to host title game

http://espn.go.com/c...ence-title-game
I don't think this passes. The ACC tried to do this with 11 team IIRC. If leagues could get away with it with 10 teams, than I'm not sure how many would've expanded in the first place.
@levineps

#291 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,523 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

ESPN: Big 12 wants waiver to host title game.

Good luck with that.

#292 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,252 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

http://insidelacross...7/hopkins-draft

The article also mentions that the school has received interest from the ECAC, Catholic 7, and the ACC.

#293 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,523 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:11 PM

http://insidelacrosse.com/news/2013/01/17/hopkins-draft

The article also mentions that the school has received interest from the ECAC, Catholic 7, and the ACC.

Very interesting. I think this would be a first for the B1G....having a non-full member participate in one sport. From Hokpins' perspective, I think they would want to make sure they can keep certain games on ESPN/ESPNU to help maintain their profile, rather than have all of their home games on the BTN. Although if the B1G sponsors lacrosse, the conference could always go to ESPN to sell some games to them...although outside of Hopkins vs MD, not sure how appealing ESPN would find Big Ten Lacrosse.

I would assume when the article says "Big East" it is referring to the Catholic schools, since I don't believe that any of the schools remaining or joining the actual Big East even play men's lacrosse.

This would certainly ensure that the Hopkins/UM rivalry stays alive, not that it had much chance of dying just because UM is going from the ACC to the B1G. But still, these days you never know. I also assume this means Hopkins could become a member of the CIC, which would be a very nice off-field benefit for both parties.

#294 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,523 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:46 PM

Notre Dame to play one more year in Big East before ACC move

Notre Dame basketball coach Mike Brey first brought up the subject during his teleconference Thursday, saying that one reason the university decided to remain in the Big East another season is it believes the seven Catholic schools that have decided to leave and form their own league will remain in the Big East next season.

“I feel strongly that the Catholic schools are going to be there with us. That’s one of the reasons we decided to sit tight,” Brey said. “It looked like the Catholic schools were not going to be able to formulate this league that they’re going to put together by next season. Now I think anything could happen. Could they put it together in the next six weeks? I mean nothing would shock me.”

Swarbrick said that if the seven Catholic schools left before next season, Notre Dame could reconsider its decision. Brey said he believes those schools will stay another season.

#295 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,252 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:41 PM

http://espn.go.com/m... ... ghts-deals

Big East football schools are getting a deal done with NBC Sports.

Catholic 7 are getting a deal done with FOX.

I still see this coming to fruition for 2013.

#296 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,252 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:26 AM

http://espn.go.com/b... ... big-east-7

As good as gone!

#297 BustaJ2632

BustaJ2632
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:40 AM

I made kind of a long post here that I won't re-paste for space reasons:

viewtopic.php?p=111382#p111382

There are Twitter rumors out there now that the Big Ten is voting in April whether to expand to 16 or more, and that they have already met with representatives from UVA and UNC with an announcement coming also in April. That would be a lot faster than I would have anticipated, but the result wouldn't surprise me.
@samangell2007

#298 Why Not?

Why Not?

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 327 posts
  • LocationCharles Town, W.Va.

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

Expect the unexpected. I think we'll see some out-of-leftfield moves before this is all over. Something nobody expects and doesn't make sense like Florida, USC and Texas joining the Big Ten or Kansas going to the ACC.

#299 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

Expect the unexpected. I think we'll see some out-of-leftfield moves before this is all over. Something nobody expects and doesn't make sense like Florida, USC and Texas joining the Big Ten or Kansas going to the ACC.

The classic never say never -- out of those, here's how I rank it (most likely to least likely):
1)Texas to the Big 10
2)Florida to the Big 10
3)Kansas to the ACC
4)USC to the Big 10

Why do I think USC is last: geography, geography, geography. The big factor being that the nearest school is two time zones away. As I've said often, I think the Pac-12 is the least likely for change given their footprint, but no I'm not ruling it out completely. And the way, I could see them expanding is if the Big 12 collapsed and they absorbed a school like Texas and other pieces.
@levineps

#300 BustaJ2632

BustaJ2632
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:33 PM

I could see Texas to the Big 10 if the Big XII drags its feet on FSU/Clemson. If that were to happen, then Kansas to the ACC (or Big 10) becomes a possibility as the Big XII, not the ACC, becomes the conference that is drastically changed. I don't see any chance in hell Florida leaves the SEC or USC goes to the Big 10. I think you were just throwing out random possibilities, but I think those two are as close to non-starters as anything I've heard.
@samangell2007

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=