#381 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:45 PM

I said this recently, but I think the struggles of Utah, TCU (and throw in West Virginia as well) in their new conferences shows that there probably is a greater difference in the level of competition between the BCS and non-BCS conferences than many (myself included) believed. I don't think any of those schools in the article (other than maybe UCF, who only benefited this one year) should or do have any regrets about how realignment worked out for them. They are all better off now than before.

I don't really have a problem with the rankings per se, it's just implying being at the bottom of the list, that those schools made a mistake in moving, even if it's just football were evaluating. The article should probably come with that as the disclaimer, some schools are better off than others as a result of the move.

@levineps

#382 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:17 PM

Realignment over? (ESPN)

But the BCS also brought about the greatest upheaval in the history of intercollegiate athletics. A total of 44 FBS schools will compete in a different conference in 2014 than they did in 1997, the last pre-BCS season. That number doesn't include the schools that hopped from league to league as if they were speed-dating (TCU, Marshall, Temple, et al). Nor does it include the 12 schools that have moved up from the FCS or started programs from scratch over the past 16 years.

No more moves are expected any time soon, either, much to the dismay of Cincinnati and UConn. Both schools are trying to strike a come-hither pose that might lure the ACC or the Big Ten or the NBA Eastern or any conference that may rescue them from the American.

@levineps

#383 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:47 PM

http://espn.go.com/c...son-per-sources

UMASS leaving the MAC in football in 2 years but want to remaind FBS. Were offered full membership in the MAC but declined. AAC perhaps?

This should be interesting.

#384 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:12 PM

I assume the ACC is going to want that lucrative Amherst market to make up for the terrible budgetary abyss left by the Maryland departure.

@DJ_McCann

#385 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,406 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:12 PM

The Big Ten will need someone to replace Northwestern when they follow through on their threat to drop football in response to their players unionizing.

Oh, wait....I forgot, some politician wants that spot to go to one of the Directional Illinois.

#386 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:41 PM

@McMurphyESPN Big Ten Conference announces it will open a second office in Midtown Manhattan

@levineps

#387 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:25 AM

http://m.gonzagabull...1a4bcf6878.html

#388 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:18 AM

ESPNBYU coach states case for Big 12

BYU suddenly has plenty of motivation to join a conference. The ACC and SEC excluded BYU from their power five no-conference scheduling mandate, which could make it difficult for the independent Cougars to fill out their football schedule. Also, if the power-five conferences (ACC, Big 12, Big Ten, Pac-12, SEC) gain autonomy from the NCAA, BYU could get even further left behind.

"Our attendance is high enough. And our winning percentage is high enough," Mendenhall told the newspaper. "We have the entire Salt Lake City and Utah market as well as a worldwide following because of the church. There'd be a ton to offer the Big 12 because it's a money-generated world right now. You're talking about an amazing kind of brand."

However, the American-Statesman, citing two sources, reported that the idea of adding BYU has little support among Big 12 officials. Last week at its annual spring meetings, the Big 12 also announced a record $220.1 million in distribution revenue.

• Greg Pappas likes this
@levineps

#389 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:50 AM

ESPNBYU coach states case for Big 12

ESPNBig 12 ADs happy with setup

However, the Big 12 is not interested in adding teams, Luck and Currie said. One reason is the conference plays every league football team in its nine-game conference schedule and has an 18-game home-and-home round-robin basketball league schedule.

"The conference schedule is absolutely great," Luck said. "Our tagline is 'one true champion.' "

Luck added that there are no "available teams" -- schools from the non-Power 5 leagues -- that would add value to the Big 12's per school revenue.

• Greg Pappas likes this
@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=