388 replies to this topic

#361 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:32 PM

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanCBS 1m

The A-10 is close to adding Davidson, sources told @CBSSports -- http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/22072822/a-10-close-to-adding-davidson 

Between them and Siena for spot #14 in the A10.

#362 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:17 AM

ESPN: NBC's Notre Dame deal extended

http://espn.go.com/c...tball-deal-2025

Kind of a big reason, ND doesn't want to fully align with one conference for football.

@levineps

#363 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:29 PM

David Glenn Show @DavidGlennShow
BREAKING: ACC's Grant of Rights will extend through the conclusion of ESPN TV Deal--the 2026-2027season

This is really huge news. Essentially, a grant of rights allows the ACC to control any media rights to their conference members, regardless of what conference they belong in. This severely limits any talk of the ACC getting raided by SEC or B1G.

#364 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:25 PM

BREAKING: ACC's Grant of Rights will extend through the conclusion of ESPN TV Deal--the 2026-2027season

This is really huge news. Essentially, a grant of rights allows the ACC to control any media rights to their conference members, regardless of what conference they belong in. This severely limits any talk of the ACC getting raided by SEC or B1G.

Just saw that. It's basically the same agreement that's holding the Big XII together these days....so yeah, unless there's a way to legally maneuver out of it, the ACC isn't going to see any more defections for a while.

EDIT: I should also mention that the big losers here are UConn and Cincinnati, whose hoped-for ACC invites won't be coming anytime soon.

#365 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:35 PM

Does that include Maryland?

@DJ_McCann

#366 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:46 PM

Does that include Maryland?

No, though they'll still have to settle their exit fee in court.

#367 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,429 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:47 PM

I'm wondering how in the world this "Grant of Rights" can possibly be legal, but I guess if all the schools agree it is...

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#368 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:48 PM

I'm wondering how in the world this "Grant of Rights" can possibly be legal, but I guess if all the schools agree it is...

Pac 12, Big Ten, and Big XII all have it. Only FBS power conference that doesn't have it is SEC.

#369 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:08 PM

You probably won't see any more defections, but we've seen a few contracts ripped up. So I never say never...

@levineps

#370 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:10 PM

Just saw that. It's basically the same agreement that's holding the Big XII together these days....so yeah, unless there's a way to legally maneuver out of it, the ACC isn't going to see any more defections for a while.

EDIT: I should also mention that the big losers here are UConn and Cincinnati, whose hoped-for ACC invites won't be coming anytime soon.

The biggest loser is clearly UConn, I don't see the Big 10 taking them, and there's no other major conference I can even see them going to. The biggest winner is Wake. They get to keep their spot in a major conference. I would've had a hard time seeing another conference taking them.

@levineps

#371 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:51 PM

No, though they'll still have to settle their exit fee in court.

Another byproduct of the ACC getting GOR is that it could eventually lead to an out-of-court settlement with UM on the exit fee. I always believed the $50 million fee was more about preventing a mass poaching of ACC schools than it was the actual money. For now, I'm sure the ACC will stick to its guns on the $50 mil. But now that they are relatively safe, they might eventually decide it is in their best interest to settle with UM and move on.

#372 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:53 PM

I have my own doubts about whether it would stand up in court. But to go that route would be such a drawn out and costly battle, I'm not sure anyone out there would think it's worthwhile.

#373 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:48 PM

Andy Katz @ESPNAndyKatz 17m

Horizon League replaces Loyola (off to Valley) by announcing it will take Oakland (Summit) for next season.

Also, the A10 added Davidson starting in 2014.

#374 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:26 PM

Great! From a UM perspective, it helps to make up for leaving what will be an awesome ACC Lacrosse conference.

Johns Hopkins lacrosse program to join Big Ten

#375 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:56 PM

Freudian slip?

Florida State is the 2012...SEC Champions?

Former Florida State offensive lineman Menelik Watson is a 2012 SEC champion…or at least that's what the ring Watson received says instead of reading "2012 ACC Champions."

BO2a3AJCcAAbwlW.jpg

#376 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,345 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:25 PM

Freudian slip?

Haha - Maybe. I mean, it has to happen at some point, I would think. Them and Clemson. It just makes a ton of sense... of course it would further set in motion the demise of the ACC.

#377 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:52 PM

Haha - Maybe. I mean, it has to happen at some point, I would think. Them and Clemson. It just makes a ton of sense... of course it would further set in motion the demise of the ACC.

When does that pact thing end? Like any other contract, it's a piece of paper that could be renegoiated though.

@levineps

#378 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:20 PM

When does that pact thing end? Like any other contract, it's a piece of paper that could be renegoiated though.

I think it runs until the end of the current TV contract, which would be through the 2026-27 school year. Considering what just one or two more defections could mean to the ACC, I don't think the conference will be willing to negotiate a release for less, much like they weren't with UM. Ultimately, I'm not sure if these grant-of-rights agreements would stand up in court. But going through the courts would probably be so costly, time-consuming, and would create so much acrimony along the way that I'm not sure any school would seriously entertain the thought.

#379 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:08 AM

ESPN: Grading realignment winners, losers

http://espn.go.com/c...olorado-suffers

These grades are focused on football, although visibility is taken into consideration. I think this is a bit misleading atleast in terms of putting Colorado last, hard to disagree with the spot itself because they've been so bad. They would be in close to as bad spot in the Big 12 just in terms of football. If you talk to anyone there, they don't regret the move whatsoever and it's definitely helped in terms of basketball (which this article doesn't take into consideration) and better in terms of alumni relations as more are in those parts of the country than the Big 12 footprint.

I'd also say similar things with WVU, although I don't think it's helped their football program in the short run. But given the option between being in a BCS conference versus a mid-major, they'll pick the former.

@levineps

#380 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:26 PM

I said this recently, but I think the struggles of Utah, TCU (and throw in West Virginia as well) in their new conferences shows that there probably is a greater difference in the level of competition between the BCS and non-BCS conferences than many (myself included) believed. I don't think any of those schools in the article (other than maybe UCF, who only benefited this one year) should or do have any regrets about how realignment worked out for them. They are all better off now than before.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=