• Please log in to reply
388 replies to this topic

#341 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:00 AM

Good point. I know they want to continue playing many of the traditional powers annually, so joining a light conference (and a small one with fewer scheduling commitments) still gives them the chance to do that while also having a relatively easy path to the NCAAs. I wasn't even aware that Marquette played lacrosse.

I believe they started last year or will start this year.

Regardless, the Big East probably needs 2-3 more associate lacrosse members to be eligible for an automatic berth. Perhaps that is why they are courting Hopkins and why they are interested in Richmond.

#342 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:21 AM

There are many variables to consider in the ongoing drama that is Conference Expansion:

**Will Jim Delany and the B1G wait until the Maryland v. ACC lawsuit(s) is resolved to invite new members from the ACC?

**If they decide to invite regardless of the lawsuits, who do they invite and do they stop at 16, 18, or 20 members?

**Will Notre Dame finally decide to join a conference in ALL sports after their NBC contract expires, and if so, can they keep the ACC intact by joining them, precluding a B1G raid?

**Will Larry Scott and the PAC 12 make a "last ditch effort" to invite 4-6 Big 12 schools, or will they stay at 12? If they want to grow and can't get Big 12 schools, will they try to add schools currently considered unworthy, like BYU, Boise State, SDSU, and Nevada?

**Will the Big 12 look to add FSU and Clemson, and maybe other ACC schools if they are not added to the B1G in their impending raid of the ACC?

**Could Mike Slive and the SEC stun most with a preemptive strike, grabbing UVA and UNC before the B1G does?

These and many more questions continue to rattle around my brain, and have caused a serious uproar in the FBS.

#343 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:31 PM

Big East expansion tomorrow at 10.

Creighton Butler and Xavier.

#344 Why Not?

Why Not?

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 327 posts
  • LocationCharles Town, W.Va.

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:34 AM

Big East expansion tomorrow at 10.

Creighton Butler and Xavier.

If this whole tumult had occurred five years ago, George Mason might have been heading to the Big East instead of one of these guys.

#345 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:48 AM

If this whole tumult had occurred five years ago, George Mason might have been heading to the Big East instead of one of these guys.

Possibly, though I would bet that Georgetown would have blocked them.

The deal with Fox Sports is for 12 years. The Big East will have its conference tournament at Madison Square Garden through 2026.

#346 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:11 PM

No offense but can the Big East even be considered a power conference anymore?

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#347 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:17 PM

I think you have to first define what a power conference is.

If it is a conference that plays elite level basketball AND football, then I would say no.

If you think a power conference is a school that gets 4+ teams in the tournament every year, then absolutely it is. If is certainly more a power conference than Conference TBA.

#348 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:03 PM

Why not? They have a group of quality basketball teams in good markets... schools that won't be looking to jump, because they don't have football. Have money backing them with a large tv deal. Should have long-term stability.

Providence, Georgetown, St. John's, Villanova, Marquette, Seton Hall, DePaul, Butler, Creighton and Xavier is a high quality league.

Will be interesting to see if they go looking for any additional members.

(Local Sidebar: Loyola doesn't have the pedigree, but they are a Catholic institution in a sizable media market. When the Big East was initially formed, they were considered. Towson has the large student population, and a new arena coming... but not a Catholic university...neither one would be likely, but I'm curious to see if either is ever considered should the Big East go looking for additional members.)

#349 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:08 AM

Why not? They have a group of quality basketball teams in good markets... schools that won't be looking to jump, because they don't have football. Have money backing them with a large tv deal. Should have long-term stability.

Providence, Georgetown, St. John's, Villanova, Marquette, Seton Hall, DePaul, Butler, Creighton and Xavier is a high quality league.

Will be interesting to see if they go looking for any additional members.

(Local Sidebar: Loyola doesn't have the pedigree, but they are a Catholic institution in a sizable media market. When the Big East was initially formed, they were considered. Towson has the large student population, and a new arena coming... but not a Catholic university...neither one would be likely, but I'm curious to see if either is ever considered should the Big East go looking for additional members.)

You never know 5 years ago, I don't think Butler would've been seriously considered. I just can't imagine either's profile growing that much that they could fit in this league.
@levineps

#350 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:31 PM

That was quick...

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanCBS 4m
George Mason will announce it's heading to the A-10 tomorrow, source told CBSSports.

If added for 2013, the A10 will have 13 schools. You would have to think they will look to add another to get to an even number. Davidson maybe?

#351 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:33 PM

Re: Big East..

Was talking to Rob the other day, and he pointed out the Big East could be a viable home for Duke, should Carolina, etc bolt from the ACC for the Big Ten, etc.

#352 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:37 PM

Was talking to Rob the other day, and he pointed out the Big East could be a viable home for Duke, should Carolina, etc bolt from the ACC for the Big Ten, etc.

Selfishly, I would LOVE to see Duke and Wake Forest abandon their football programs and join the Big East. I tend to doubt it though.

The three biggest questions would be:
1. Would they get an invite from the Big Ten or SEC? I don't think Wake will, but Duke could.
2. Would those schools abandon their football program?
3. Would they rather join the private-Big East or the America 12 where they can keep football?

#353 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:05 PM

Doesn't make much sense to me. You still have a great BB conference with the BE defectors (Syracuse, Louisville, Pitt, ND) plus UConn is ready and waiting if you need more. And then there's the football matter. Do you look for a football-only home (the New Big East?) do you go independent (good luck with the scheduling challenges and finding TV deals) or do you quit football altogether? Plus, you're walking away from annual payouts of ~$17 million/yr in the ACC, for what? $3 million in the Big East? Nah. The ACC would have to completely implode for Duke to entertain such a thought....and that's unlikely IMO.

#354 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:23 PM

Rumors around that Siena is joining the A10 as well.

That would bump the conference back to 14. I would assume they are doing this because they know more defections will occur in the future.

The most interesting part is that they are focusing on east coast schools. That leads me to believe they expect SLU and Dayton to be added to the Big East.

#355 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:04 PM

Well, if the ACC loses UNC, UVA, VT, Clemson and FSU, then that is close to imploding.

#356 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:15 PM

Well, if the ACC loses UNC, UVA, VT, Clemson and FSU, then that is close to imploding.

Assuming that is indeed the case, would you rather have Duke be positioned with Syracuse, Miami, Pittsburgh, Boston College, Wake, and (let's assume) UConn, Temple, South Florida, Cincinnati, and a few others? Or drop football (or put it in the MAC) and place basketball and Olympic sports with the Big East?

#357 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:20 PM

When UNC leaves the ACC that alone will be close to imploding. There is no school more ACC than UNC. It's already a different conference than it was in the 90s, this would make it much more radically different.
@levineps

#358 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:41 AM

Marcus Henry‏ @marchenrysports4h
Conference movement update: A-10 has Delaware, Davidson and N'Eastern in its sights @WUSBSportsRadio http://www.newsday.c....ment-1.4900488 … via @Newsday

Marcus Henry ‏@marchenrysports4h
If, according to a source, the A-10 moves on Davidson, Delaware and Northeastern, the CAA needs to move fast @HofstraPride @WUSBSportsRadio

A10 is being proactive again. I don't really like the Delaware or Northeastern choice (considering UD plays football), but I think Davidson and Siena should be where the A10 looks.

#359 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:44 PM

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 28m
Tulsa will join old Big East & East Carolina will be added as full member in 2014, sources told @ESPN

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 7m
When Tulsa joins Big East in 2014, 9 of 11 teams in league will be former C-USA schools

#360 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:01 PM

Assuming that is indeed the case, would you rather have Duke be positioned with Syracuse, Miami, Pittsburgh, Boston College, Wake, and (let's assume) UConn, Temple, South Florida, Cincinnati, and a few others? Or drop football (or put it in the MAC) and place basketball and Olympic sports with the Big East?

So long as the ACC can keep a membership that does not force a reduction in their TV deal with ESPN, as well as their bowl contracts, then there is no sensible reason for any of the remaining schools to consider the Big East, or any other lower-level conference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=