#121 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:13 AM

Again, you're getting caught up in hype an expectations. You have to realize that there is a very high bust rate on EVERY prospect, including Bundy, until they produce in the ML. Don't get caught up in that whole, this player is a number 10 prospect, or top 3 prospect in baseball. It means nothing until they deliver on that promise at the ML level. Yes, educated guesses say he will be a great ML pitcher, but that's all it is until he actually does it.

When they draft players they are always thinking, I'm pretty sure this guy is going to help our ML team in some way, and in many cases they are considering that floor you are thinking about now. This guy could be an ace, but at worst case should be a solid 4th starter, I'm sure that exact line popped up in 2009.

There aren't 30 no. 1 slots, there are slots 1-30 in the first round, and a "good team" is another way of saying first division, it's just semantics. BMat can be a solid #3 on a 1st division team, hopefully slotted behind an Ace and a #1/2 type. I think he ends up having a better year than Arrieta, and still think Jake is our Josh Bard. Serviceable in the rotation, but could be a standout closer.

It's natural to have high expectations for highly drafted players, that's actually very normal, not just me front offices as well. Remember when Matt Wieters was being labelled a bust? I actually like to think I have realistic expectations. I don't expect Bundy to dominate once he comes to the bigs. But will I be disappointed, if he ends up a back-of-the-rotation pitcher, absolutely. No reason why you should shoot the bar too low, just the same way you shouldn't shoot unrealistically high.

On that last point, you are misinterpreting what I'm saying. What I'm saying is each team has a number one pitcher=so there are likewise 30 #1, 30 #2, 30 #3, 30 #4, 30 #50.
@levineps

#122 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:29 AM

It's natural to have high expectations for highly drafted players, that's actually very normal, not just me front offices as well. Remember when Matt Wieters was being labelled a bust? I actually like to think I have realistic expectations. I don't expect Bundy to dominate once he comes to the bigs. But will I be disappointed, if he ends up a back-of-the-rotation pitcher, absolutely. No reason why you should shoot the bar too low, just the same way you shouldn't shoot unrealistically high.

On that last point, you are misinterpreting what I'm saying. What I'm saying is each team has a number one pitcher=so there are likewise 30 #1, 30 #2, 30 #3, 30 #4, 30 #50.

Only morons were labeling MW a bust. If you REALLY understand the stuff you claim you do you would know exactly where to leave your expectations. Go have a conversation with Kevin Goldstein and see what he has to say about your view on things.

And no, there are not 30 #1s, yet another completely wrong assumptions. There are maybe 10-12 legit #1s, #2s are just aces without the mental toughness to be an ace, stuff and talent wise they are the same as a #1. #3-4 are interchangeable, and 5's are swing men/spot starters.

On bad teams, they have a 3/4 pretending to be a 1. On good teams they have a 3/4 as a 5. The numbers are used to describe pitchers all the time, but they are most often misused.
@JeremyMStrain

#123 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:48 PM

Camden Crazies: Matusz showing flashes of promise
http://www.camdencra...of-promise.html

#124 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 02:35 PM

Really looking forward to seeing Matusz tomorrow, and how he follows up his outing from Tuesday.

#125 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:20 AM

Momentum is as good as your next day's starting pitcher. Get us some mo' BMat! Lord knows, we kneed it.

#126 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,824 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 06:16 PM

Gem.

#127 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:39 PM

I missed today's game.

I see he had a 28% swingingstr%. Sounds like he had good stuff. How did he look?

#128 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:43 PM

I missed today's game.

I see he had a 28% swingingstr%. Sounds like he had good stuff. How did he look?

He looked great in my opinion. This goes back to what I wrote as one of the first posts on my site.

Matusz works best when he has a low-90s FB that he can pitch off of. He thre 97 pitches, 51 FBs. Threw first pitch CBs to guys, got them off balance. You could see they didn't know whether to expect a breaking ball or a FB when they got behind in the count. Again, his stuff plays up to lefties, as he didn't allow a hit to a lefty at all.

The run scored on him was the result of good hitting and good baserunning. Rodriguez took an inside FB and yanked it down the LF line for a double. Moved to third on a grounder to the right side, then scored on a grounder to Andino w/ a perfect slide to the back corner of home plate.

Matusz is a good pitcher because he has good secondary stuff and can locate it. The problem is, you have to set batter sup with the fastball which he couldn't do before. Now that his FB is back to a better velocity (still not the 94 it was at San Diego) and he can use it to set up guys.

Probably TMI but I love Matusz and I love guys that pitch backwards. More of a cerebral approach than just relying on a 95 mph heater.
  • BSLChrisStoner and KRL224 like this
@JeffLongBP

#129 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:58 PM

I missed today's game.

He looked great in my opinion. This goes back to what I wrote as one of the first posts on my site.

Matusz works best when he has a low-90s FB that he can pitch off of. He thre 97 pitches, 51 FBs. Threw first pitch CBs to guys, got them off balance. You could see they didn't know whether to expect a breaking ball or a FB when they got behind in the count. Again, his stuff plays up to lefties, as he didn't allow a hit to a lefty at all.

The run scored on him was the result of good hitting and good baserunning. Rodriguez took an inside FB and yanked it down the LF line for a double. Moved to third on a grounder to the right side, then scored on a grounder to Andino w/ a perfect slide to the back corner of home plate.

Matusz is a good pitcher because he has good secondary stuff and can locate it. The problem is, you have to set batter sup with the fastball which he couldn't do before. Now that his FB is back to a better velocity (still not the 94 it was at San Diego) and he can use it to set up guys.

Probably TMI but I love Matusz and I love guys that pitch backwards. More of a cerebral approach than just relying on a 95 mph heater.

Yea, the better velocity and command on his fastball is what's its all about for BMat.

#130 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:13 AM

I missed today's game.

One of the best games I've seen from him, obviously not expecting this every time around, but would like to see similar performances.
@levineps

#131 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,585 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:58 AM

I missed today's game.

He looked like it was the second half of 2010. Very encouraging. You can see his confidence building with each start.

#132 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:40 AM

Does anybody know what the hell happened with him? When he first showed up, he had it pretty much *all* together except for the holding-runners part. He certainly didn't look like a new kid P. In ST, DT would take certain kinds of pitches away from him, he was making it look so easy. Then, after looking like he knew exactly how to do his job and being one guy we could count on (except for the runners part), he suddenly became terrible. WTF?

Do we have any news at all about that? Was it the result of mucking around with him because of the SB thing, or do we not really know? I know he apparently didn't work on conditioning that 1st winter... but that wouldn't cause somebody to forget how to pitch...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#133 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:45 AM

Does anybody know what the hell happened with him? When he first showed up, he had it pretty much *all* together except for the holding-runners part. He certainly didn't look like a new kid P. In ST, DT would take certain kinds of pitches away from him, he was making it look so easy. Then, after looking like he knew exactly how to do his job and being one guy we could count on (except for the runners part), he suddenly became terrible. WTF?

Do we have any news at all about that? Was it the result of mucking around with him because of the SB thing, or do we not really know? I know he apparently didn't work on conditioning that 1st winter... but that wouldn't cause somebody to forget how to pitch...

I think it was combo of the conditioning, rushing back from an early injury, and them tinkering with the delivery trying to increase that stupid TTTP.
@JeremyMStrain

#134 Tyler Bingaman

Tyler Bingaman
  • Members
  • 332 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:54 AM

I think it was combo of the conditioning, rushing back from an early injury, and them tinkering with the delivery trying to increase that stupid TTTP.

You had me until TTTP...?
@bings012

#135 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:02 PM

Am I first in line?

Time to the plate...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#136 Tyler Bingaman

Tyler Bingaman
  • Members
  • 332 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:04 PM

Am I first in line?

Time to the plate...

Thanks! :oops:
@bings012

#137 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:44 PM

Matusz and the O's go for the sweep tomorrow. Before the Rays series, we talked about how we believed that for Matusz, April and May had been about getting his feet back under him. We said we wanted to see him respond by taking the next step in June. He responded with a big start in Tampa Bay, getting into the 7th for the first time. He has now made 4 consecutive starts, where he has pitched at-least 6 innings, and allowed 3 er or less.

For the year, Matusz is now 5-5, with a 4.41 era. In his 63.1 ip, he has allowed 67 hits, 8 hr, 25 bb’s, with 50 k’s. His OPS against is .753, and his G/F is 0.65.

#138 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:28 PM

Matusz was a lot of fun to watch Sunday. It'd be great to have him come out and be dominant two games in a row tomorrow night against Boston. Bottom line, he's just a different pitcher when his FB is on and he's commanding it.

#139 Remember The Alomar

Remember The Alomar
  • Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:55 PM

Pretty excited for Matusz's start tomorrow. A few days ago our rotation looked to be in shambles, but if Matusz can put it together, Hammel and Chen continue to be solid, and Britton comes back and pitches like he did in the first half of 2011, I'll be thrilled.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#140 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:52 PM

I missed BMat tonight...listening on the radio, Angel said he looked lost, like last year.

In a way, I'm glad this outing happened. BMat was so messed up between the ears last year that I want to see how he responds to a terrible outing like this one. Does he let it get to him or shrug it off as a bad start amongst many good ones?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=